That doesn't happen very often!

The other day I went after a rabbit with one of my flintlocks.

Failed to get a rabbit, it was so damp and miserable. Trying to manage a flintlock in those conditions is a real challenge.

Sure enough, the one rabbit I had a chance no fire.

It was whilst stalking rabbits and having a misfire that I spied a fox coming my way. Full of doubt over the damp lock I got down and waited for a shot.

When the fox was 30yds and side on I shot but all I got was a flash in the pan. The fox bolted. I laughed and thought how privileged a fox is today to witness  a flash in the pan from a flintlock!

That was a couple of days ago or so. This afternoon I returned and whilst I still didn't get a rabbit I did amazingly notice a bigger fox trotting down the opposite side of the stream I was working up! In the same spot!!

I quickly readied the gun as it went behind brash. When it reappeared I swung through and fired.

I was expecting it to leg it but as the smoke cleared it was there close to dead but not quite so I released the hound ?‍♂️.

1oz #4 .63 smoothbore.20211228_142237.jpg.7ab01ab3baf4b981daa1fc57f9533e15.jpg

• Like 18

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other day I went after a rabbit with one of my flintlocks. Failed to get a rabbit, it was so damp and miserable. Trying to manage a flintlock in those conditions is a real challenge. Sur

well not to be left out Ben , I might as well join the club , been 3 days now and yep feel like shit  atb 

Yep - I'm stuck indoors with covid. Absolutely knocked the shiť out of me. ??

Posted Images

? ace… it’s like reading the adventures of Tom Sawyer.

love hearing about your escapes sd.. I use to fish in a private trout stream as a kid with hand lines, I was there with you reading that and got to confess somewhat envious?
great result 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Nothing worse than being ill for an outdoors man ☹

Tell me about it . My mate is getting his new Pulsar C50 scope tomorrow so cant wait to see what it's like. Hes just landed a new sheep farm who starts lambing next week and asked him to have a look. So fingers crossed hope to get lucky next week with it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I thought you had gone to ground Ben.

This variant is a swine. It's all around me, it's only a matter of time I think!

Sincerely hope you recover quickly Ben. ? 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

You’ve got 2 weeks to sort your sh*t out, or I’m selling your day ? ( as an incentive I’ve sorted it so you will stand all day, so no beating for you )

I’m keeping myself to myself and will be staying in tonight, there’s a lot of it about 

get well soon mate ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1