Working dogs in Spain ??

2 minutes ago, Parabuteos lad said:

One thing I have noticed from Spanish dogs if that the vast majority will not go to anyone but their owner, galgos, podencos and Podenco crosses. I think these charities often misconstrue this as fear but doesn’t appear to be. I have a vid on my phone of a Podenco pup absolutely beside itself wanting to play but refusing to come near me, very clearly happy and excited in the vid. 

so when the rehala dogs get lost and these charities find them they assume the dogs are scared and abandoned but in reality their owners are posting on the fb groups 

Bingo!

Easy done when the dogs are on strange land and the locals don’t know them. They may be picked up by police etc. No chip or collar and they go to a rescue.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all,  I don’t come on here as often as I used to but thought I’d drop on and share some images from my current trip to Spain.  I am out here hunting and photographing various working do

The Podenco Paternino work more like a hound than the rehala dogs on my last trip. Instead of meandering along at pace pushing quarry these find scent and work the scent in a line etc. pick up the pac

Home today, unfortunately didn’t get my final day Rehala as it was cancelled due to rain. Instead visited the kennels of the Rehala president to see and discuss his dogs. we met on the Friday for

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Bingo!

Easy done when the dogs are on strange land and the locals don’t know them. They may be picked up by police etc. No chip or collar and they go to a rescue.

More and more are adopting gps systems now but these aren’t cheap. As they become more prominent I bet we hear of les and less “abandoned” dogs

5 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Dangled from low branch so it’s back feet hit the floor like a typewriter 

says it’s to do with the bigger the c**t of a dog is , the more painful a death is delivered to obsolve the owner of shame . 

good dogs granted a quick death. 

as I said , why not just shoot them ??

Stories, if it was going on and the people writing these stories were actually discovering/finding/seeing this, would they not take a photo to prove it? The only images I have seen are grainy and from the 90’s at best. 30 years ago now, our own hunting landscape was vastly different 30 years ago. Communities grow and the hunting community is no different.

• Like 2

Anyway, on a lighter note.

yesterday I hunted hares with falcon and saluki. I flushed our only hare on the day and it unfortunately got away but was great to see and I’ll be joining him again next season at a better area. One saluki was a direct gift from the Bedouin and the other was a dog bred in Saudi crossed with a Spanish show saluki. The Bedouin dog was a much nicer type and there was definitely a difference between them.

3B06489A-BFE3-4CE4-989A-5D45B8E208FB.jpeg

• Like 6

I've read stories about huntsman I know well.....shooting hounds and feeding them to the pack, hanging live foxes up to train hounds, and beating hounds with whips. Funny because I know they worship their hounds, have a house full of retired ones and would go out of their way to preserve foxes. 

The scum will always convince themselves that abuses exist. It's like the stories about 'bait' dogs. Am I stupid enough to believe no idiot has ever done something like that..no...but it would be easier to find pet dogs worrying livestock, dogs dying young because they are morbidly obese and cats killing rare birds...but that doesn't count cos their owners 'love animals'. 

I've heard the mad stories about European hunting dogs being abandoned and abused. All I can say is from my experiences in rural Spain ive only seen animals looked after and valued. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
15 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Absolutely, totally agree , however , I do think it’s a “thing” that the galgos are left for te summer and whatever’s left alive , hunts the next season 

No true, they're bad owners everywhere, they like us have a problem with dogs being stolen etc, but in the  majority they're raising and keeping lines of dogs that are they're pride and joy, lines that go back generations in their families. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, mushroom said:

I’ve said it before. 99% of the galgos around me are rescues. And there are a lot. Obviously it’s not everyone treating their animals with contempt but it does seem to be very prevalent and not just bullshit out of the mouths of woke, bunny lovin, tree huggin cnuts.

99% of the lurchers around ne are rescues, does that mean that mistreatment is prevalent?

8 minutes ago, sandymere said:

99% of the lurchers around ne are rescues, does that mean that mistreatment is prevalent?

If they are scarred up and have come from a rescue, I’d say yes. They get old, injured etc and dumped all the time here. Hence why rescues are full of them. I live in Cataluña where galgos are not very common to hunt with and yet there are thousands of them.

• Like 1

People love to claim they have a rescue. It's a type of virtue signalling. My Mrs tells everyone one of ours is a rescue. A mate of mine took it off someone years ago because it weren't being looked after, since then it did a season with him and a season in hunt service, it then retired to us for an easy life catching a few rats......yet she tells everyone its a 'rescue'. They can't fckin help themselves ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

All this dog importing of rescues, they've managed to create industries out of it. The amount of Romanian bait dogs , (normally geriatric golden retriever) beggars belief as said misplaced compassion, naivety, at worst supporting the whole cycle of itself. Although my dog has often been referred to as the lab cross or rescue lol.. 

• Like 1