Working dogs in Spain ??

Read quite a lot into it lately , but is it true that the biggest threat to hunting with dogs in Spain is the way the dogs are treated post season?? 

read some horror stories online about galagos etc are literally either abandoned in the countryside or are tortured to death . 
buried in wells , drowned in acid , tied to railways , thrown off boats , hung , why not just f***ing shoot them ?? 

Horrendous 

• Like 4

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all,  I don’t come on here as often as I used to but thought I’d drop on and share some images from my current trip to Spain.  I am out here hunting and photographing various working do

The Podenco Paternino work more like a hound than the rehala dogs on my last trip. Instead of meandering along at pace pushing quarry these find scent and work the scent in a line etc. pick up the pac

Home today, unfortunately didn’t get my final day Rehala as it was cancelled due to rain. Instead visited the kennels of the Rehala president to see and discuss his dogs. we met on the Friday for

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Read quite a lot into it lately , but is it true that the biggest threat to hunting with dogs in Spain is the way the dogs are treated post season?? 

read some horror stories online about galagos etc are literally either abandoned in the countryside or are tortured to death . 
buried in wells , drowned in acid , tied to railways , thrown off boats , hung , why not just f***ing shoot them ?? 

Horrendous 

Sounds like the kind of bollocks antis make up to me 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Some cultures have no empathy for animals' suffering. Even as a holiday maker in Greece or Spain you can see that. Other cultures like ours, make gods of their pets,  put them on pedestals and worship them.

We are a weird species. 

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Parabuteos lad said:

So they are not allowed them with the rehala packs? 

Nope, since about 3-4 years ago, maybe a little longer. Something to do with mishaps when they are out of sight and pet dogs.

@THE STIFFMEISTER The typewriter is one of the common methods. Fuuckin disgraceful imo.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, mushroom said:

It’s illegal in Spain now to free hunt with Alanos or any other bull or mastiff breeds. Obviously it’s still going on but it is illegal mate.

44 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Horrendous 

I can honestly say I’ve seen nothing but good husbandry and empathy to dogs and quarry.

there are lots of stories as you stated, but no images or evidence, the photos available look like they were taken with a potatoe in an age where every person has a camera phone in their pocket.

I’ve drove accross Spain twice now and the only stray dogs I’ve seen were a strong collie type dog. If I had a pound for everytime someone said “my friend lives in Spain and says that…” then my next trip would be paid for. there will undoubtedly be the odd person letting the team down but no different to the ratio of good Lurcher owners in the uk to ones with dogs living in wheelie bins walking on their own excrement.

whilst out here I have seen dogs fight and be treated the same way I would have handled it at home. I’ve seen a hardheaded galgo stay 2m away for an hour refusing to go back on the lead and when he was eventually caught wasn’t even told off. I’ve seen doh hares be taken home for rehab and release. I’ve seen a fourth rabbit checked and released because we only needed three on the day. I’ve seen boar-lets be caught accidentally, treated by a vet and then took home to be reared and released. I’ve seen a dogs teste removed from its sack by a boar and a vet called out to the field without second thought. 

i think as stated, all of those stories are from antis and I personally have seen nothing but very impressive and sporting practice carried out.

6D966D0D-2F14-498C-8946-122A4BCE0E74.jpeg

7B58DDFF-E640-4BD4-B24C-40209A23935B.jpeg

C3BBDBEF-4A28-42B1-9C53-FB588746DAE8.jpeg

• Like 9

I would also add, these dogs have to perform just as much as

4 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Nope, since about 3-4 years ago, maybe a little longer. Something to do with mishaps when they are out of sight and pet dogs.

@THE STIFFMEISTER The typewriter is one of the common methods. Fuuckin disgraceful imo.

That’s interesting I’ll look into it, I have been hunting the the president of rehala association and his Alano’s. He is also a solicitor so I would have thought if that was the case he would be all over it etc. see what I can find out

1 minute ago, Parabuteos lad said:

I can honestly say I’ve seen nothing but good husbandry and empathy to dogs and quarry.

there are lots of stories as you stated, but no images or evidence, the photos available look like they were taken with a potatoe in an age where every person has a camera phone in their pocket.

I’ve drove accross Spain twice now and the only stray dogs I’ve seen were a strong collie type dog. If I had a pound for everytime someone said “my friend lives in Spain and says that…” then my next trip would be paid for. there will undoubtedly be the odd person letting the team down but no different to the ratio of good Lurcher owners in the uk to ones with dogs living in wheelie bins walking on their own excrement.

whilst out here I have seen dogs fight and be treated the same way I would have handled it at home. I’ve seen a hardheaded galgo stay 2m away for an hour refusing to go back on the lead and when he was eventually caught wasn’t even told off. I’ve seen doh hares be taken home for rehab and release. I’ve seen a fourth rabbit checked and released because we only needed three on the day. I’ve seen boar-lets be caught accidentally, treated by a vet and then took home to be reared and released. I’ve seen a dogs teste removed from its sack by a boar and a vet called out to the field without second thought. 

i think as stated, all of those stories are from antis and I personally have seen nothing but very impressive and sporting practice carried out.

6D966D0D-2F14-498C-8946-122A4BCE0E74.jpeg

7B58DDFF-E640-4BD4-B24C-40209A23935B.jpeg

C3BBDBEF-4A28-42B1-9C53-FB588746DAE8.jpeg

I’ve said it before. 99% of the galgos around me are rescues. And there are a lot. Obviously it’s not everyone treating their animals with contempt but it does seem to be very prevalent and not just bullshit out of the mouths of woke, bunny lovin, tree huggin cnuts.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Parabuteos lad said:

I would also add, these dogs have to perform just as much as

That’s interesting I’ll look into it, I have been hunting the the president of rehala association and his Alano’s. He is also a solicitor so I would have thought if that was the case he would be all over it etc. see what I can find out

Last time I was out on the boar,  in Aragon with a mate off here, he was telling me they’d change the laws.

Just now, mushroom said:

I’ve said it before. 99% of the galgos around me are rescues. And there are a lot. Obviously it’s not everyone treating their animals with contempt but it does seem to be very prevalent and not just bullshit out of the mouths of woke, bunny lovin, tree huggin cnuts.

There are also lots of stories of rescues stealing galgos from hunters no? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Parabuteos lad said:

There are also lots of stories of rescues stealing galgos from hunters no? 

More they get hold of them and refuse to give them back is what I’ve heard. Powers to confiscate animals is not with charities in Spain mate. The RSPCA and their like would not be tolerated like they are in Blighty.

Edited by mushroom
3 minutes ago, mushroom said:

More they get hold of them and refuse to give them back is what I’ve heard. Powers to confiscate animals is not with charities in Spain mate. The RSPCA and their like would not be tolerated like they are in Blighty.

One thing I have noticed from Spanish dogs if that the vast majority will not go to anyone but their owner, galgos, podencos and Podenco crosses. I think these charities often misconstrue this as fear but doesn’t appear to be. I have a vid on my phone of a Podenco pup absolutely beside itself wanting to play but refusing to come near me, very clearly happy and excited in the vid. 

so when the rehala dogs get lost and these charities find them they assume the dogs are scared and abandoned but in reality their owners are posting on the fb groups 

Edited by Parabuteos lad
  • Like 3
11 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

The typewriter? No comprende amigo 

Dangled from low branch so it’s back feet hit the floor like a typewriter 

says it’s to do with the bigger the c**t of a dog is , the more painful a death is delivered to obsolve the owner of shame . 

good dogs granted a quick death. 

as I said , why not just shoot them ??

• Sad 1