Trail cams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great thread- the black led cams are handy when their set where some one might spot a red light.

Gotta say that people l know who bought expensive trail cams are the ones that end up disappointed.  I ended up getting a £60 "cheapy" after seeing one set-up by a chicken run  belonging to a ver

" Acorn " keeps coming up, like a Japanese girls ramen. But, they're towards the upper scale of what we are used to shelling out, over here. It just doesn't lean me toward risking that much, right now

Posted Images

On 17/11/2021 at 16:29, Ken's Deputy said:

No mention of Tasco, on Amazon UK, Wolfie :(

Waiting on @comanche for a lead on his.

Late back to the party,  sorry. The cheapos floated ashore from the Bay of Evil but it was a while ago. Not sure if anything similar is on there now. 

At the time there were plenty of listings on there for what were pretty generic "knock off" Trail  Cameras from inscrutable,  anonymous manufacturers and vendors .The blurbish claims and optimistic  photos of exotic wildlife  were so silly l expected them to be total junk. So much so l doubted my sanity in even considering taking a risk on one. 

To be honest the plastic bodies and hinges feel a bit brittle but for £25-£30  l didn't  expect them to be built like Tiger Tanks.

The one on the right actually takes the best pictures and was the cheapest. The trade off is that it has no screen for instant replay in the field and the camera or card have to linked to a computer for viewing. 20211119_173248.jpg.4576f4c623af4285e9a6d8d4647adfd5.jpg

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, comanche said:

The trade off is that it has no screen for instant replay in the field and the camera or card have to linked to a computer for viewing.

Jesus wept! Mine has a screen which I haven't got the feintest clue how to use. And, why would I, as I never set my camera far from my gate anyway!

Dunno. May well just spend the night with Amazon and grab a couple of crappers, just for shits 'n giggles.

If nothing else, it'll show me as putting my money where my mouth is. And will at least give me something different to say, every time anyone posts about fukking trail cam's!

Watch this space :good:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Jesus wept! Mine has a screen which I haven't got the feintest clue how to use. And, why would I, as I never set my camera far from my gate anyway!

Dunno. May well just spend the night with Amazon and grab a couple of crappers, just for shits 'n giggles.

If nothing else, it'll show me as putting my money where my mouth is. And will at least give me something different to say, every time anyone posts about fukking trail cam's!

Watch this space :good:

Just grab one ; lessen the risk.

If you get two and they both turn out to be  shxxt l won't  be able to live with the guilt!

• Like 1

Beauty of Amazon Prime, mate! ?

I'll get two, different ones. I'll set them out in short order. I'll have a month or twos grace to throw them back too. No questions asked.

If one, or Both last even a couple of months of constant effort? Fukking paid for themselves, by the standards of this Bushnell Trophy crap.

I used to use quite a few trail cam and covert cams in the UK, I was sticking £250-300 a month on them top-ups. I have used cams from £12 when I bought a box of 25 from china,up to a £500 model with all the bells and whistles including a solar panel charger, they are all much of a muchness to be honest nowadays, the price drops and the tech improves, they have got me out of a few scrapes in the past, its always worthwhile having a few. 

IMG_20211119_114704.jpg

IMG_20211119_114621.jpg

IMG_20211119_114605.jpg

IMG_20211119_114549.jpg

IMG_20211119_114534.jpg

• Like 1

Read somewhere, just today; Guy's using a Browning ~ I'm sure Someone knows a more expensive brand? I don't.

Lo and behold: The shit he describes as getting is just about exactly what I'm reporting!

Is this a symptom of the modern malaise? Acceptance that ; 'Oh. That's just Chinese made gear for ye. Pay ye money and take ye choice. Might work. Might not.'

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Read somewhere, just today; Guy's using a Browning ~ I'm sure Someone knows a more expensive brand? I don't.

Lo and behold: The shit he describes as getting is just about exactly what I'm reporting!

Is this a symptom of the modern malaise? Acceptance that ; 'Oh. That's just Chinese made gear for ye. Pay ye money and take ye choice. Might work. Might not.'

I used one that in the UK is £500 but it performed no better than the £250 models at another location that gave me instant "Motion detected" alerts and more importantly allowed me to not only see what had triggered the activation but hear conversations, but for basics it's eenie-meenie-minie-mo as the lower end of the market like acorn models are still good value. 

• Like 1

" Acorn " keeps coming up, like a Japanese girls ramen. But, they're towards the upper scale of what we are used to shelling out, over here. It just doesn't lean me toward risking that much, right now.

I'm charging my expensive batteries right now, as I type. I'm gonna put the Bushnell out, tonight.

You probably missed it but, I have a fox that I feed each night. She's a great little cam tester for me. I feed her in the same spot and can actually watch her mincing around in front of the camera, real time.

Whether I find her on film, tomorrow? That's entirely another matter :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Okay, lads. Been busy. But, I just thought to stop and go get the camera in. I was not dismayed.

I won't bother wasting my time uploading the TWO clips of film it caught ~ Bushnell Trophy Cam. Fully loaded with eight, top of the range, freshly charged batteries?

First clip is me, dumping the fox food on the ground and walking out of shot. Few seconds wait. Fox fox steps into view and starts gobbling up the wet biscuits. All bang centre of frame. Perfect range. Crystal clear footage.

Next clip? Fox fox is grabbing the day old chicks and fukks off, out of shot with them. Leaving a pile of biscuits behind for later. As she does.

And that's it. John Cleese, dressed as a medieval king. Pacing a rocky cove. " That's it. There's nothing else. "

So, the biscuits just dematerialised, over night. No more foxes, or badgers, birds or anything moved in front of that camera for the next nineteen hours? It didn't even capture that moment of disruption when I opened the door, swinging the lens away before my finger found the off switch.

The camera filmed Two clips. Then effectively fukking Died!!!  £100+, upper end of the range, big name fukking camera.

Do ye See what I get so fukking het up about, now??? :censored:

10 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Okay, lads. Been busy. But, I just thought to stop and go get the camera in. I was not dismayed.

I won't bother wasting my time uploading the TWO clips of film it caught ~ Bushnell Trophy Cam. Fully loaded with eight, top of the range, freshly charged batteries?

First clip is me, dumping the fox food on the ground and walking out of shot. Few seconds wait. Fox fox steps into view and starts gobbling up the wet biscuits. All bang centre of frame. Perfect range. Crystal clear footage.

Next clip? Fox fox is grabbing the day old chicks and fukks off, out of shot with them. Leaving a pile of biscuits behind for later. As she does.

And that's it. John Cleese, dressed as a medieval king. Pacing a rocky cove. " That's it. There's nothing else. "

So, the biscuits just dematerialised, over night. No more foxes, or badgers, birds or anything moved in front of that camera for the next nineteen hours? It didn't even capture that moment of disruption when I opened the door, swinging the lens away before my finger found the off switch.

The camera filmed Two clips. Then effectively fukking Died!!!  £100+, upper end of the range, big name fukking camera.

Do ye See what I get so fukking het up about, now??? :censored:

I had the same thing. Thought I had placed the camera too high, and that it wasn't detecting what was going on, on ground level. Swapped it around with the "back from the dead" real cheapo one, and it caught anything that moved. 

• Like 1