Zeroing!

So, I went out yesterday with a mate to his permission. We had no wind, and it was a gorgeous day, he said he needed to zero his rifle first, no probs.

HW95 .177, he set his target at 8 yards for windage, and 35 yards for elevation, saying at 8 yards it's less likely the wind (if there was any) to have an affect on such a light pellet, and he zeros all his rifles this way...He never dropped a shot all evening!

I've always zeroed at 35 yards both windage and elevation for my .177 HW95, and all my other rifles in .22 at 28 yards.

Anyone else zero this way and is it more accurate?

Cheers....

Edited by Gaoler
  • Like 1

Similar here, I set up at 35yards for .177 and 27yards for .22 for 12ft lb rifles. I also have a .25 rifle running about 11.5ft lbs, I set this up a 20yards.

Edit to say, I also have .20 cal at 12ft lbs and obviously this tends to sit in between .177 & .22 regarding trajectory, depending on pellet weight of course. Not very popular I know, but something a bit different I suppose. I’ve certainly shot some vermin over the years with .20, and I used that calibre almost exclusively in the nineties, strangely in conjunction with .25 which I used mainly for feral pigeons in factories. 

Edited by Dervburner
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, villaman said:

If you knock it then a good chance it might go out of zero

bit close @ 20 yards 

It is for .177 , .20 & .22 but I set my .25 at that range because I don’t shoot much further than that with it as the trajectory becomes a bit difficult to judge beyond 25 yards for sure. Travelling below 500fps those fat heavy pellets soon start to drop. Inside 20 yards, not a problem ??. Off topic slightly, I’ve struggled to get any .25 pellet to hold useable accuracy at much beyond 30 yards at 12ft lb velocities. I’m thinking that as the speed drops even more at these ranges, the heavier pellets lose stability in flight? But then, I might be wrong, it has been known....??...and I’m rambling now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, philpot said:

For the life of me, I cannot see any point whatsoever in an 8yd windage.

Phil

I tried it today, doing the windage at 8 yards, then went out to 28 yards for the elevation with my .22, it was miles out! Went back to doing zeroing both at 28 yards, bang on again!

Yet my mate never dropped a shot doing it that way, strange…

• Like 1

I’ve cleaned my barrel on my HW100, Im going to shoot pellets straight from the tin, AA Field .22 5.52

How many pellets on average do I need to shoot through the barrel to get it accurate again after cleaning?

Cheers….