Lurcher/gundog

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had mine out in the pigeon hide today. He does the job and is soft mouthed with feather ?

When hunting squirrels in woodland, I school the dogs to 'go round' and stand opposite to me... The Greys frequently try to hide behind the trunk of the tree, and they will often keep moving arou

That sounds like what I do these days, mooching with a flask of tea, rucksack and catapult. I must admit Im a bit soft these days and tend not to kill much with the catapult, unless I fancy putting so

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, lurchers said:

I know ya have mate but I wouldn’t be putting a pure pointer back over it for that reason.As the pups will be as slow as a pointer and turn like a bus.

It’s just a idea , I’m thinking more half x pointer grey if I can find a good one I can go watch a few times or them bring them to be for a few days out 

• Like 1

If I was in an area with plenty of rabbits such as the dales I would look at a lab or spaniel type lurcher. Ideal for kicking up daytime rabbits and the retrieve should be spot on. I know other Lurchers do the job fine but it would be good to try something from a gun dog back ground. 

Mate of my old mans has a collie lurcher. He uses it mainly for gun work.  Beating, rough shooting and shoot days. Wait for it……..it’s a Hancock too! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Neal said:

Currently two males aged seven and three but I'm about to pick up a bitch pup in a couple of weeks. 

It’s  breed that’s always intrigued me probably due  to lamping ferreting and bushing with border collies when I was younger, had a bitch and a dog. The bitch was an incredible busher/hunter of rabbits, the male was very handy too, but a bit more laid back than the bitch.....that’s when I found out I preferred  one hard earned rabbit to ten easy ones.

Going to have your hands full.....lots of fun though.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 1

That's ironic: after reading your posts about your lurcher I was tempted to get either a gundog or a gundog cross.?

I decided over a year ago that I needed another one and I was seriously considering a different breed as a result of not enjoying my time (for want of a better phrase) with my youngest. I did several of those tests online of the "What dog breed suits me best" type and they usually came out with gundogs. I was tempted by wirehaired vizslas...until I chatted to a couple of people who have them and wished they'd stuck with other breeds. I was also tempted by a short haired pointer after meeting a few nice examples. But when it came down to it, I knew that, if I got a different breed, I'd always be thinking 'I should've stuck with kelpies.' My wife helped me to realize too that Ned is probably the glitch in my kelpie ownership which proves that they're what I'm best suited to. I was kind of only focusing on his negatives rather than his positives and the positives of the previous four (or five if you count the lurcher).

Anyway...back to the merits of gundog crosses and apologies for veering off topic.?

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Neal said:

That's ironic: after reading your posts about your lurcher I was tempted to get either a gundog or a gundog cross.?

I decided over a year ago that I needed another one and I was seriously considering a different breed as a result of not enjoying my time (for want of a better phrase) with my youngest. I did several of those tests online of the "What dog breed suits me best" type and they usually came out with gundogs. I was tempted by wirehaired vizslas...until I chatted to a couple of people who have them and wished they'd stuck with other breeds. I was also tempted by a short haired pointer after meeting a few nice examples. But when it came down to it, I knew that, if I got a different breed, I'd always be thinking 'I should've stuck with kelpies.' My wife helped me to realize too that Ned is probably the glitch in my kelpie ownership which proves that they're what I'm best suited to. I was kind of only focusing on his negatives rather than his positives and the positives of the previous four (or five if you count the lurcher).

Anyway...back to the merits of gundog crosses and apologies for veering off topic.?

No....it’s great to hear about your dogs and choices. I did remember you were having a bit of a hiccup with one your dogs ( I think you said he was the type everyone said they could be like...if that makes sense) and you might consider a gundog type breed. I often think what I will be getting next, I know a spaniel x whippet would be hard to come by. I not bothered about speed, I’m quite happy if most of them get away, it’s more about me just enjoying my time out watching the dog work and having that good working bond. God knows what I’ll end up with. 

• Like 3