Lack of predators

Watching the Swallow/Martin etc migration (I have a nest outside my window) for over 10 years now, I've noticed one stand out thing... no predators. I've never seen one raptor or owl species in the city, yet the food source is there...

Why?

38 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Watching the Swallow/Martin etc migration (I have a nest outside my window) for over 10 years now, I've noticed one stand out thing... no predators. I've never seen one raptor or owl species in the city, yet the food source is there...

Why?

Few bops will take swallow/Martin......hobby, maybe the odd lucky sprawk.....both fairly shy and tree nesters......answers there I reckon ?

• Like 3
9 hours ago, bell said:

Few bops will take swallow/Martin......hobby, maybe the odd lucky sprawk.....both fairly shy and tree nesters......answers there I reckon ?

Never knew that. Always thought they were fair game with a bit of effort. Thanks Bell ;)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mushroom said:

Never knew that. Always thought they were fair game with a bit of effort. Thanks Bell ;)

I once watched a sparrow hawk mingling with a group of swallows over a lake, it never attacked the swallows but just sort of flew with them and effortlessly picked up the odd one that went to close to it, was well impressive but only ever time I,ve saw a bop take them ??

I was playing golf at sheerness and waiting for the green to clear,there was lot’s of swallows skimming over the heavy rough and some black headed gulls on the fairway.

all of a sudden the gulls lifted acting alarmed,some thing had just happened but I did not see what, then a weasel runs out of the rough carrying a swallow and I am still baffled on how he managed to catch it.

27 minutes ago, CRAZYHORSE said:

I was playing golf at sheerness and waiting for the green to clear,there was lot’s of swallows skimming over the heavy rough and some black headed gulls on the fairway.

all of a sudden the gulls lifted acting alarmed,some thing had just happened but I did not see what, then a weasel runs out of the rough carrying a swallow and I am still baffled on how he managed to catch it.

There’s your answer mate. ?

34450379-25E8-4B2D-B51E-CB24004C97E1.jpeg

• Haha 2
18 hours ago, mushroom said:

Why?

• Thanks 1