Settling a new pup

Yep, make a pup as comfy as possible, loads of play, a bellyfull of good grub, toys, water and more grub. Then leave it safe...

Start as you mean to go on. Get to bed and turn a deaf ear... It'll be fine in the morning ?

I find the biggest drawback to settling a new pup is other people in the house who say, "But it's crying," or neighbours who say passive/aggressively, "I'm not complaining but..."

It's just like kids, they soon learn to either sleep through the night or whine for attention. I agree with Bosun11: ear plugs or ignore it and it'll be fine in the morning.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neal said:

I find the biggest drawback to settling a new pup is other people in the house who say, "But it's crying," or neighbours who say passive/aggressively, "I'm not complaining but..."

It's just like kids, they soon learn to either sleep through the night or whine for attention. I agree with Bosun11: ear plugs or ignore it and it'll be fine in the morning.

Yeah i agree with this also to be fair so .. where did i put my earplugs ?

17 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv honestly slept with pups a load a times, young puppy comes here it’s getting a big shock, first leaving dam, then motor ride home, then strange house dogs scents sights noises, you get me drift, then to expect it to get its head down an give you a good nights sleep is quite selfish imho. Some pups will settle a lot quicker than others but I’m in no rush the pup will be here a long time an I’ll have plenty chances to help it settle into a kennel itself. 

I might not take them into the bed with me an wife but I wouldn’t think twice about crashing on couch with pup in cage, I always keep al pups in house for a while anyways as it helps them get used to kids quicker, helps them get some manners, an also hetsvthem house trained in case they ever need to come in house after they been moved to kennels. Just the way I do things, I expect quite a lot of my pups/dogs so don’t mind taking a bit slower an not over whelming them at the start?

I done that wi the beddy pup had her in for a week and slep wi it first 2 nights just dint want 2 say case everyone thought I was a gay 

• Haha 3
56 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv honestly slept with pups a load a times, young puppy comes here it’s getting a big shock, first leaving dam, then motor ride home, then strange house dogs scents sights noises, you get me drift, then to expect it to get its head down an give you a good nights sleep is quite selfish imho. Some pups will settle a lot quicker than others but I’m in no rush the pup will be here a long time an I’ll have plenty chances to help it settle into a kennel itself. 

I might not take them into the bed with me an wife but I wouldn’t think twice about crashing on couch with pup in cage, I always keep al pups in house for a while anyways as it helps them get used to kids quicker, helps them get some manners, an also hetsvthem house trained in case they ever need to come in house after they been moved to kennels. Just the way I do things, I expect quite a lot of my pups/dogs so don’t mind taking a bit slower an not over whelming them at the start?

done it meself mate sleep couch pup in cage always keep them in house first month o so any way get them used to cage etc ?

• Like 1
On 07/08/2021 at 18:05, W. Katchum said:

Very good point. I always used to start mine off as outside dogs and gradually get them used to being indoors until they could do both. But now I tend to do the opposite...but then give up when my neighbour says, "I'm not complaining but..." and then my wife says, "I don't want to have a row with the neighbours so..."?

I read in one book about a breeder who advised sleeping with the dog in a crate in your room for a few nights and then gradually moving the crate further away as they accept the crate as their den rather than your room as the den. Have to say it makes sense as Ned prefers to sleep out in the garden room rather than in the living room as his crate was moved out their once when we were moving furniture around in the living room. The only reason I don't do that is because a) I don't like encouraging the dogs to go upstairs and b) I find it easier to "ignore them" if I can't hear the whining.?

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2