Absolute tragedy.

Well guys, this is a heads up. Something I’ve never heard of an d certainly don’t want to hear of again. Didn’t even know where to post it this. I’ve just joined forces with the brother in law on his allotment. I interested him in some of my past experiences regarding soil conditioning etc. One of the subjects we talked about was manure. A great friend of mine supplies me with spent brewers hops which over the years has been absolutely brilliant in the garden. Right. Now the downside. One of the 8 month old labrador pups took a fancy to a meal of said hops. Dead within 6 hours. Guys, google this as it is quite frightening. What else don’t we know about because I’m guessing not many of you knew about this. Sad times. Jok.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jok said:

Well guys, this is a heads up. Something I’ve never heard of an d certainly don’t want to hear of again. Didn’t even know where to post it this. I’ve just joined forces with the brother in law on his allotment. I interested him in some of my past experiences regarding soil conditioning etc. One of the subjects we talked about was manure. A great friend of mine supplies me with spent brewers hops which over the years has been absolutely brilliant in the garden. Right. Now the downside. One of the 8 month old labrador pups took a fancy to a meal of said hops. Dead within 6 hours. Guys, google this as it is quite frightening. What else don’t we know about because I’m guessing not many of you knew about this. Sad times. Jok.

Sorry for the loss mate, daffodil bulbs also poisonous to dogs.

D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so sad to lose any dog or pup,to toxic plants,many grow them in the garden, and dont realise how lethal they are especially to pups who chew any thing, monks hood, fox glove leafs are some of the most common, the other one to watch is if using slug pellets other than the pet friendly ones, seen a pup sadly succumb to the effect of eating pellets, aterrible sight to see, sadly to late to give it any thing to spew them out,one more rat bait, just exercise caution with these things, talking from past experiences, keep safe everybody, and keep your dogs and garden safe.

• Thanks 1
On 18/04/2021 at 15:20, lurchers said:

One of the best things for slugs is oranges for that reason,just cut it in half and the bit we eat put that face down,the acid in the orange the slugs can’t resist it and is pet friendly ?

thanks  mate, never heard that before,  ive heard few people say keeping few ducks in your garden , they keep down slugs , wonder if chickens  eat slugs as well ,  i know lad keeps 1/2 dozen fowl i ask him next time i see him!

• 4 weeks later...