Anyone remember club row

We used to get in the bird pubs. As kids the animal market was eye opening you could get  most things animal wise but look back at the times  from serious bird dealers to dog thieving cnts. It was all on show 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good old days. I remember a pub we used to go to over 50 years ago, on a Saturday, about 15 mile away, a long way back then. It was called The Lemington Hotel, but known far and wide as "The

It's no big deal, mate. My wife, my late daughter and myself walked up to the local pub for a meal. I knew exactly what the cost would be, me being an obsessive compulsive. The barman o

We used to get in the bird pubs. As kids the animal market was eye opening you could get  most things animal wise but look back at the times  from serious bird dealers to dog thieving cnts. It was all

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Them bird pubs were an eye opener to some of us northerners fond memories .

I bet they wer. It was all part of a Sunday market.  kinda strange looking back as it was under pressure to all close down the pubs with all the birds were so busy ? some folk had birds in all ther pockets amongst other animals lol ther was good n bad depended which way ya turned 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, sid g said:

it was here  and melton as a youngster  used to buy birds from melton and sell them at nottingham for pocket money ,and later spent hours at nottingham buying and selling antiques , 

As a young en I was into selling second hand furniture it was good money barking rd had plenty second hand shops back then 

Strangely, only time I've ever seen birds in a backstreet  pub in Blackburn that was owned by Asians, first one id ever been in, i was about 17 I guess?

They brought some quail chicks in and were letting them run about the rooms.

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, king said:

A neighbour of mine has about 40 aviary's.parrots etc..the colours are amazing.

Ive sadly never seen a bird pub though..

It was a diff world back then  the Lane markets wer humming with sellers and scammers  of all sorts  the pubs were. Stacked with bird folk not much you couldn’t get if not ordered , me wifey from hackney back in them days at Dalston ain’t much part of any animal you couldn’t by to eat  brains n all but that was in the day when you got a chicken alive or not with the unformed eggs feet the full ish for ya tanner and rabbits wer a bit better than today’s Chinese import shit lol we used to breed n sell rabbits back then good money and tasted real nice  , and monkeys wer all over ya fir a pic at All the markets and who remembers minah birds ? We had a jackdaw a minah and magpie as pets lol and chickens an rabbits for pets until we wer hungry boom boom boom boom Esso blue ?

Edited by green lurchers
2 hours ago, green lurchers said:

It was a diff world back then  the Lane markets wer humming with sellers and scammers  of all sorts  the pubs were. Stacked with bird folk not much you couldn’t get if not ordered , me wifey from hackney back in them days at Dalston ain’t much part of any animal you couldn’t by to eat  brains n all but that was in the day when you got a chicken alive or not with the unformed eggs feet the full ish for ya tanner and rabbits wer a bit better than today’s Chinese import shit lol we used to breed n sell rabbits back then good money and tasted real nice  , and monkeys wer all over ya fir a pic at All the markets and who remembers minah birds ? We had a jackdaw a minah and magpie as pets lol and chickens an rabbits for pets until we wer hungry boom boom boom boom Esso blue ?

It mad how times have changed so fast mate.im reading that and can vision it like a black and white movie.monkeys in every market for a picture I would love to spend a day wandering around there back in the day..

The pub right opposite the Army & Navy where Combat 18 and the National Front used to stand outside every Sunday was called the bird cage you used to walk in and the whole wall was just birds in tiny little cages, when I was a nipper I used to go out with my granddad and trap birds over the Mud Chute on the Isle of Dogs and we used to sell them in there at the weekend.

I remember the final years of Club Row you used to get all the antis protesting about the live animal sales people were fighting in the gutter it used to really liven up a Sunday morning.

The amount of shit I’ve bought from the lane don’t bear thinking about Blackmans for a pair of DMs there a bloody luxury boot now lol.

Sadly those days are long behind us on a positive note the Bagel shops still there ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
29 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

The pub right opposite the Army & Navy where Combat 18 and the National Front used to stand outside every Sunday was called the bird cage you used to walk in and the whole wall was just birds in tiny little cages, when I was a nipper I used to go out with my granddad and trap birds over the Mud Chute on the Isle of Dogs and we used to sell them in there at the weekend.

I remember the final years of Club Row you used to get all the antis protesting about the live animal sales people were fighting in the gutter it used to really liven up a Sunday morning.

The amount of shit I’ve bought from the lane don’t bear thinking about Blackmans for a pair of DMs there a bloody luxury boot now lol.

Sadly those days are long behind us on a positive note the Bagel shops still there ?

Blackmans ?loafers brogues boots 

• Like 1

Good old days.

I remember a pub we used to go to over 50 years ago, on a Saturday, about 15 mile away, a long way back then.

It was called The Lemington Hotel, but known far and wide as "The Darkies Bar" or "The Bangla dash" , ( Pakistan Shandy), because one of the tenants was a Pakistani.

Coincidently, I live about a mile from it now, but it's been converted into "luxury apartments".

Back then it had stables, and trotting matches were run from there along Scotswood Road. A mate of mine had the bar then, and I remembering him matching his big, black stallion against a p***y's mare.

The stallion was going mental to get at the mare, so my mate said to the p***y " you go straight off, I'll go once round the roundabout to give you a bit of start" . The stallion went after the mare like a lunatic and my mate just kept him on line to cross the line first !

You could buy anything from game birds, terriers to lurchers in there and the craic was unbelievable ! The first Lurcher show I'd ever seen was held in the cobbled courtyard.

I remember when a local council decided to build an outdoor swimming pool, and of course, because of the weather up here it was a total failure, so they decided to make it into a trout fishery. It didn't take long for the lads from the bar to run a long net across the deep end and pull it to the shallow end ! Trout on the menu for weeks !

Some of you will remember "domino cards" in the pubs and clubs ? Well in this place the prize would be a pheasant, hare or pair of rabbits.....if you won, you had to wait till they went out and caught the prize !

Two things I'll never forget was going in there one day and they had a bull terrier on a table, it's ear on a beer mat and a Stanley knife......blood every where, but nothing a bucket of water couldn't clean up.

Another time, one of the inbreds came in with his tribe of kids and a nanny goat ! No one batted an eyelid but I had to ask.....he said goat milk is great for the kids, and it wasn't long before they were drinking straight from the teat !

Good old days ? Well I'd swap the sanitised , kid friendly bars of today for that one......anytime ?

Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

remember the bangla charts. some right characters in there for sure. Tommy Finley was the last to have it that i remember. good friend had the Newburn hotel but he is sadly passed now.

16 minutes ago, antg said:

remember the bangla charts. some right characters in there for sure. Tommy Finley was the last to have it that i remember. good friend had the Newburn hotel but he is sadly passed now.

You'll probably remember lads from back then if you're around my age.

I'll mention their names as they are probably dead or won't mind me mentioning them.

The Thackeray's , I lamped and coursed with them.

"Chilli", long gone but a great lurcher man.

Jonh the Postie, was slip Steward for the Coquetdale and Border Coursing Club. Had days out with him with my one and only Terrier.

Old mate of mine I've know since I was a kid, " Doctor Proctor, the horse doctor"

Also drank in The Boathouse, another pub now gone

Bought and sold dogs at the gypsy camp next door, also gone.

Getting all nostalgic ! ? !

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 2