R.I.P Marvelous Marvin Hagler

Now thats a real shame.....class act Hagler,from a time when fighters still needed to be tough and durable he was without weakness.....an old fashioned box fighter that could also stand and have a war if necessary....probably in the top 3 middleweights of all time in an era of other all time great fighters.....RIP.

• Like 4

If you want to find the character of the man then there's no better clip available. 

A proper man's man, no frills and all business. 

The bloke was a machine, arguably the best MW of all time. 

I'm assuming he died of a heart attack, a big loss for boxing. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

If you want to find the character of the man then there's no better clip available. 

A proper man's man, no frills and all business. 

The bloke was a machine, arguably the best MW of all time. 

I'm assuming he died of a heart attack, a big loss for boxing. 

Always thought the English commentary was best.

" he,s trying to draw the long fella into a fight "

" not trying to baffle each other with science "

" absolute mayhem "

" looks like they're going to bite the bullet here its gonna be a hard one "....some of the classic Reg Gutteridge lines.

Probably my most memorable fight ever as a fan of boxing.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Always thought the English commentary was best.

" he,s trying to draw the long fella into a fight "

" not trying to baffle each other with science "

" absolute mayhem "

" looks like they're going to bite the bullet here its gonna be a hard one "....some of the classic Reg Gutteridge lines.

Probably my most memorable fight ever as a fan of boxing.

Yeah seen it the other day, Donald Curry was guest commentary with Reg. 

A brilliant bloke he was, all the fighters respected him. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Yeah seen it the other day, Donald Curry was guest commentary with Reg. 

A brilliant bloke he was, all the fighters respected him. 

Reg Gutteridge you mean ?....absolutely,my ol fella knew him years ago he was a fascinating man you could sit and chat to for hours and not get bored he is so sorely missed as a commentator he brought humour along with unbelievable knowledge and an interesting way of articulating himself.

Regards that Hagler/Hearns first round you made a good point Greb....Hagler was a mans man ive referred back to that fight so many times over the years chatting with young lads about character and facing your fears i still think Hearns expected Hagler to back off in that first round but the look Hagler gave him at the end of the round was a " lets have it you are in over your head " look....if ever a fight was won on mentality rather than physicality that was it.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2
46 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Reg Gutteridge you mean ?....absolutely,my ol fella knew him years ago he was a fascinating man you could sit and chat to for hours and not get bored he is so sorely missed as a commentator he brought humour along with unbelievable knowledge and an interesting way of articulating himself.

Regards that Hagler/Hearns first round you made a good point Greb....Hagler was a mans man ive referred back to that fight so many times over the years chatting with young lads about character and facing your fears i still think Hearns expected Hagler to back off in that first round but the look Hagler gave him at the end of the round was a " lets have it you are in over your head " look....if ever a fight was won on mentality rather than physicality that was it.

Yeah Reg, did you hear about the story with him and Sonny Liston? 

Him and Liston became quite friendly, one evening they had a few drinks together with plenty of banter. 

Liston was ribbing Reg about how soft us Brits were, Liston went white when Reg picked up an ice pick and started stabbing himself in the leg with it. 

Little did he know that Reg had lost is leg in WW2 and was stabbing away at his false leg. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1