Big Turtle

54 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Wolfie, I read they found one of those beasts with a musket ball embedded in its carapace. The ball dating from the civil war.

Now, considering the turt' must have been old enough, and big enough to take and hold a ball, even way back then?! :icon_eek:

It's crazy how old and resilient they can be lol. And I have a friend who's a biologist and a pretty accomplished turtle trapper I'll in Louisiana I'll ask him if he has any pictures of such things. I know it's not uncommon to find stuff like that on the big old ones. I've also caught alot of common snappers with .22lr bullets in there shells ,shot gun pellets as well. Not to mention broken shells that re grew weird one in particular was missing half it's face but seems to be functioning just fine.

I think to date the oldest recorded was like 1200lbs and aged like 300years but not sure if my memory is serving me right

• Like 4

Got a Common Snapper here, Wolf! I did my research. Decided there was no sense in a human getting a creature that would potentially outlast his grand kids. And grow to the size of an oven!

He's about five years now. Last time I checked? About a ten inch carapace. Responsive as a dog. Weighs a ton! And, as you'd know, he (she's?) just a baby yet!

Love the damn thing to bits :)

• Like 1

How thick is that ice?  What do those things eat.?  When we went to Mauritius in the Indian ocean there were a few tortoises at a sort of zoo which were several hundred years old and were pretty large.  Kind of prehistoric looking creatures. 

On 13/02/2021 at 17:27, Ken's Deputy said:

Got a Common Snapper here, Wolf! I did my research. Decided there was no sense in a human getting a creature that would potentially outlast his grand kids. And grow to the size of an oven!

He's about five years now. Last time I checked? About a ten inch carapace. Responsive as a dog. Weighs a ton! And, as you'd know, he (she's?) just a baby yet!

Love the damn thing to bits :)

Lol good to here it's doing good ? I had a baby common as a pet for two years or so till we let him go in one of our cow ponds. We kept him in a large shallow plastic tube with a sand lined bottom so he could burry him self. Me and my younger brother would trace our fingers though the sand till we got bit.....yeah we wernt too bright ?? still ain't ?

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Meece said:

How thick is that ice?  What do those things eat.?  When we went to Mauritius in the Indian ocean there were a few tortoises at a sort of zoo which were several hundred years old and were pretty large.  Kind of prehistoric looking creatures. 

No clue ,parbly a inch or two though. When they get that big they eat what ever they want really, fish, smaller turtles,ducks,geese ( when their small their hell on water fowl),crawfish actually also a large amount of vegetation. I know anytime I cat h any and keep them in a tank for a while their droppings are full of plant fibers,and nut shells.

21 minutes ago, Jackknife said:

Got some meat on them, Do you eat them, sure iv heard of turtle soup before. 

They are eaten but due to commercial fishing in the 1920's though late 80's their natural numbers are pretty low in most states so their protected. Common snappers not so much. I know in my state it's illegal to harvest a gator snapper ( even though people still do ) but I'm allow to harvest one command a year. I think Louisiana has a limit of one gator snapper per person per day

• Thanks 1

I notice from the news that most of the US is under a winter storm and that even parts of nortern Mexico are frozen and under snow. How ìs this weather affecting creatures like alligators and these turtles that are frozen in.?