Any one keep fancy pigeons

A friend of a friend has offered me some modena pigeons 2 pairs of show stock,  not something iv ever thought about but with bird flu not letting me fly my racing birds I might give them a go , any of you lot keep any fancy pigeons ?? 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1974 my first proper loft i`d had rabbit hutches and an old shed before ..  this was a shed and we added a new front 

Just got birds will get better pics tomorrow 

i`m vert tempted only up the road from me on ebay 

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, sid g said:

i`ve hade medenas they dont do a lot nice to have about the place 

WWW.NATIONALMODENACLUB.CO.UK

The National Modena Club of Great Britain encouraging the breeding and showing of Modena Fancy Pigeons

They rear there young ok etc ?

My mate has just got some Norwich pouters ,nice looking birds 

20 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

They rear there young ok etc ?

My mate has just got some Norwich pouters ,nice looking birds 

yes mate pair up easy can rear there own young no problem i only used to rear one per round to keep my numbers down  ,, they need a bit of space and a bigish nest box they tend to stay together when there sitting and rearing ... they dont fly to far but will go out onto a board i had a little flight added to the side of the loft i used to put nesting material in there to keep em busy i`d feed em in the flight as well to try n keep em fit they are lazy sit around fookers but good fun to keep ...

Edited by sid g
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

Ones my mate just got 

IMG-20210201-WA0009.jpg

Them mad things are bonkers, suicidal like sheep haha if you want pourers get flying ones like gripper or keep mate, best both worlds 👍

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Stockpot said:

Go for it. I was given my first pair off a local fancier nearly 35 year ago. I really like them. Easy to keep, don't need feeders and some lovely colours.

My experience of them was much the same. I was only a teenager when I had them and used to wean the youngsters and chuck 'em in with my racers. The racers used to shoot off on a fly around and range well out from the loft, the Modenas would never go more than fifty yards from the loft before they'd either came back or landed on a neighbouring roof and sit there looking very pleased with themselves. I had a big, old dopey Gazzi cock bird that you could pick up anywhere he was, inside or out, and I used to use him as a dropper on race days. I really miss the pigeons. 

mine used to walk rather than fly .. i`d like some now but i like my holidays to much and would`nt want to burden anyone with feeding em 

Looking forward to getting them now they from show stock so should  be decent if the shows ever open again be nice to have a go , 

If I manage to breed some your welcome to a pair sid , 

My mate has taken 2 pair of my logans to use as feeders for his poutors 

1 hour ago, vfr400boy said:

Looking forward to getting them now they from show stock so should  be decent if the shows ever open again be nice to have a go , 

If I manage to breed some your welcome to a pair sid , 

My mate has taken 2 pair of my logans to use as feeders for his poutors 

nice one see how we go good luck with em ,, when i raced i had kirkpatricks then delbars dordins and cattrysse ;;

Edited by sid g
22 minutes ago, budharley said:

Do you fly them out rob ?do they bring other pigeons back to the loft. ?

I fly them out mate yes. When I kept them in the past I picked up a few stray birds with them and they also used to bring back my missing rollers. 

The ones I'm flying now im trying to catch ferals with and they have brought a few back but not into the trap box yet,  im hoping that changes once the breeding seasons kicks off. I had a feral squeaker with one last week.

• Like 3