Government scheme for adult learning

1 minute ago, WILF said:

That don’t sound too shabby mate, nice few days off in between etc.

My pal used to work for Group 4 as a security guard when he got out the army years ago down at Tate & Lyles (or a Charringtons? Can’t remember which now) at Silvertown.

Very similar shift pattern and it gave him plenty of free time......then he got caught fishing the canteen takings out of the cash dump bin with a coat hanger and that was that ! Lol ? 

Tate & Lyle had a plant at Silvertown and the Isle of Dogs I remember in the 70s we all got evacuated out of our house due to a massive fire on the island plant, big company back in the day in the East End.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hoping to be moving soon and have already got myself a little doer upper boat that I will be renovating through the winter ready to sell in spring /summer, as long as all goes well should make decent

Maybe it’s me being an old fogey but the the last 20 odd years everything got too “professional”.......it was all bits of paper and method statements and young clever c**ts with no idea of a mans word

I've never really known what 'the dream' is, still don't. But if I was to start over, and with hindsight, I think ten years in the forces and then train as a PH in Africa would probably suit me.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, FLATTOP said:

Tate & Lyle had a plant at Silvertown and the Isle of Dogs I remember in the 70s we all got evacuated out of our house due to a massive fire on the island plant, big company back in the day in the East End.

I cleared out Charringtons down there, well it was more Canning Town than Silver Town as you know, bought 250 bays of pallet racking and paid to clear the offices.

I remember all the racking fell off the artic at Circus Tavern round a bout on the way home......I f***ing live for days like that ! ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, FLATTOP said:

I started in the year 2000 and to be honest I’ve worked in most disciplines and then decided to utilise all those tickets and experience in being a Mom as you know we deal with all types of incidents across all disciplines this will do me now till I retire.

Admittedly the social aspect is a pain I work 3 weekends out of four plus weekly 12 hour shifts but the railways been good to me, I was a motorcycle courier for best part of 15 years in London before I started on the railway I don’t know how I survived lol I wish I had thought about the railway sooner. 

What's the difference between what you do and a RIO? 

It does sound quite interesting tbh. 

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

What does that involve mate?, I thought they was all automated now ?

I remember the old signal controllers box and wooden gates in my old town and the bloke sat up there for years, nice steady number like.

There are a few gatekeepers left who operate the gates Lincoln road in Enfield is one and the infamous Elsenham is another.

But what I used to do was Level Crossing inspections and risk assessments to railway standards and also a bit of maintenance there’s a lot more to level crossings than people realise it’s the weakest link between the railway and the public in my opinion.

I know a few people who have worked on the Tilbury Loop Line working Crossing’s Signal boxes ect Low Street East Tilbury Tilbury Riverside all around that line most of it is controlled at Upminster now.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

There are a few gatekeepers left who operate the gates Lincoln road in Enfield is one and the infamous Elsenham is another.

But what I used to do was Level Crossing inspections and risk assessments to railway standards and also a bit of maintenance there’s a lot more to level crossings than people realise it’s the weakest link between the railway and the public in my opinion.

I know a few people who have worked on the Tilbury Loop Line working Crossing’s Signal boxes ect Low Street East Tilbury Tilbury Riverside all around that line most of it is controlled at Upminster now.  

It used to be some dirty Mexican looking geezer at Stanford, we called him “Gringo” and the name stuck forever....nobody knew him as anything else.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

What's the difference between what you do and a RIO? 

It does sound quite interesting tbh. 

I am also a RIO a rail incident officer we put on our RIO vests during big incidents it’s mainly to identify yourself to the emergency services we make it safe for them to carry out there jobs under a joint services command structure we get the OHL turned off trains stopped to let them carry out there work say in a fatality or another high profile incident. 

3 minutes ago, WILF said:

It used to be some dirty Mexican looking geezer at Stanford, we called him “Gringo” and the name stuck forever....nobody knew him as anything else.

I’ve a mate whose retired now who would definitely know him. 

4 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

I am also a RIO a rail incident officer we put on our RIO vests during big incidents it’s mainly to identify yourself to the emergency services we make it safe for them to carry out there jobs under a joint services command structure we get the OHL turned off trains stopped to let them carry out there work say in a fatality or another high profile incident. 

Sounds interesting, I've never worked for Network Rail but imagine when you've got a foot in the door there is plenty of opportunity providing you show willing along with the right attitude. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, WILF said:

I cleared out Charringtons down there, well it was more Canning Town than Silver Town as you know, bought 250 bays of pallet racking and paid to clear the offices.

I remember all the racking fell off the artic at Circus Tavern round a bout on the way home......I f***ing live for days like that ! ?

I lost a 40 foot rail once that was a bad day at the office I just stopped and picked up with the crane I’m amazed it never hit anything lol a good mate of mine done a similar thing his rail was dragging along the floor sparks everything and slapped into a moving car to say the shit hit the fan on that one was an understatement ?

• Haha 1