Fallow rutting

The Fallow here used to be just visitors, when they started culling them in the national trust woodlands behind us and the pressure was too much they came here around Christmas time . In the last 6 or 7 years they have become resident , so no real traditional rutting stands . This is the earliest I’ve seen Fallow rutting but this year has been strange. The roe were stop start , so my guess is it will be the same with the fallow. The weather has not been cold , it’s been very mild . 

• Like 1

I manage a small closed herd of fallow for a local College and the bucks are at it proper .Belching ,fighting and scraping .Had to cull one of the old bucks that had been pinned upside down against the wire .When I’d shot him the master buck ran at him and pushed him 5 m along the ground before he died . Last year he was fully palmated bu5 fish tailed this year .Estimated age 8 years .

A10CF085-ED22-4CD1-8402-0654F89CBC48.jpeg

• Like 8

Spoke to my pal today who’s looking after one of my places , he said they were going at it the weekend .He knocked over a couple of prickets and see a couple of older bucks ..None of the big boys has shown up yet but it’s early days ..

To be honest how long is a piece of string ? The rut takes place usually in October . The books will tell you 7 - 10 days , but it’s really hard to tell with wild fallow ( not park animals) . You can tell when it’s on as the bucks will separate the youngsters from the mothers , and break up the doe herds . You will know it’s over when they get back together. Also you will see your bucks back together. However the buck meat can still have that testosterone “twang” into December I’ve noticed. 
         I’ve finished my buck culling now , and won’t take any till about 10th December if the game dealer wants them for the Christmas trade .

• Like 1