Venison prices, what does the future hold?

1 hour ago, Tyla said:

The problem is that the 'old guard' are actually the land owners rather than the stalkers. They own the land and they don't want everybody on it. I've spent years working towards getting my stalking partner accepted onto the estae I manage. There are plenty of times they don't even want me there. If they could manage the deer without having anyone on at all they certainly would.

My landowners to a t...on one the culling is the last consideration after all the other land uses of which he had many , mainly because it brings in the least revenue ..His other revenue streams revolve around people being out on the land for training purposes , forestry , office lets , races etc , so someone out with a rifle can pose a problem .Even more so if there are multiply people so his solution is one person who he trusts and liases with to do the job , which is what he looks at it as .After several years of doing the job I now have carte blanch over the deer with regards to numbers , who I take out and how many I take out on the days I’m given clear access to the land , even then you still get the odd office worker wander around the estate even after he emails the different tenants and firms telling them we are culling ..he likes to see the deer but if he had a couple of dozen that didn’t breed , bust his fences and strip anything edible he would be extremely happy ...instead he has two or three hundred that make there presence known ..ten of which end up in his freezer each year .

The other place I’m lucky with they just let me get on with it and can I get out more or less at will , again I can take people out but all of which I’m responsible for . They again don’t want more than one person with open access and in truth it would cause problems if there was multiple people out on the land unless you were doing it as part of a dmg with set times or collective days but again the owners don’t want to give that access ...getting on top of the fallow on this property is virtually impossible , with to large properties  bordering ours  who’s owners have no desire at all to cull the deer (mainly because they don’t farm) the deer have places to lie up all day in perfect safety ....

• Like 1

You need thermal mate ?

Joking aside I havnt shot a buck this season on my own ground for the very reason I can’t get rid of it .

I don’t have a chiller anymore ,all retail outlets have dried up due to this virus shit and I can’t be arsed with skinning one to give away .

Its a bad job all round and I feel for those who do the numbers with no outlet this year .

Stalking prices won’t be affected though ,still the demand for bought days I’m told but the carcass will be given in many cases in place of paying dealer rates .

• Like 2

I've been stripping the carcasses and using for dog food mate , at least you can still shoot a few and keep the dogs fed with good meat. You will be overrun with them before long mate which will only attract the undesirables.  I can always pop down in the rut and clear a few up seeing as I have no job ??

20 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I've been stripping the carcasses and using for dog food mate , at least you can still shoot a few and keep the dogs fed with good meat. You will be overrun with them before long mate which will only attract the undesirables.  I can always pop down in the rut and clear a few up seeing as I have no job ??

My dogs don’t do well on venison mate ,it’s far too rich for dogs IMO .First time ever in my life I’ve actually sold a fair bit of the rut to a chap off SD .Need all the bucks I can find tbh .

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Balaur said:

I wish our supermarkets/shops could promote it a bit more , get rid of polish and Danish bacon. Increase their game, even if it came from farmed deer it would normalise it and might get a few more TV chefs doing a bit of promotion, it's not likely the powerful farming lobby would get behind it but basic ought to do something, don't seem to do a lot for the size of their organisation.

you would need to take out another mortgage to pay supermarket prices for venison ,or butchers price .,folk only buy the odd bit now and again at there prices  .

2 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Yep I agree, because it's not setup like mass produced chicken and beef, and that's one of the good things about it, maybe not supermarkets then , but game food could do with some promotion...

problem is in todays world    the snowflakes are taking over and dont like the idea  of killing    bambi  .

• Like 1
On 11/06/2020 at 18:01, foxdropper said:

My dogs don’t do well on venison mate ,it’s far too rich for dogs IMO .First time ever in my life I’ve actually sold a fair bit of the rut to a chap off SD .Need all the bucks I can find tbh .

I feed very little venison meat to the dog , bones yes but no meat unless you gas mask up ..they turn into four legged farting machines ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, David.evans said:

How you doing mate ??

been quite lately 

Been over in Spain the last few months Dave , doing ok all well ...just coming out of the lockdown sh1t even though we had no cases of the virus where we are ..

• Like 2