non ped

Picked up the odd few older dogs over the years that were working already for a bit of bunny bashing, never got a whippet with a pedigree (no need never bred them), reamber the paper never rejects ink was never big into them just got the odd one for a mooch ect

2 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Working a lovely little non ped at the moment, not really that little though he is a big strong boy for a whippet but as a rabbit dog you won’t go to wrong. 

how big is he Bob? 

I know a few people who work and race them,personally I'd never let mine anywhere near owt.Like putting an F1 car on a rally track,sooner or later it will end badly...thers far better dogs more suited to the job...A lot will obviously depend on your permission..mines all ditches,hedgerows and barbed wire,just wouldn't risk it.Maybe once his racing days are over...

• Like 1
18 hours ago, fred90 said:

how big is he Bob? 

You know what I’ve never actually measured him! He is a good size for a whippet though reckon he must be pushing 21.5-22 something like that. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if somewhere there in the genes there’s a drop of greyhound in there. 

5 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

You know what I’ve never actually measured him! He is a good size for a whippet though reckon he must be pushing 21.5-22 something like that. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if somewhere there in the genes there’s a drop of greyhound in there. 

there is usually greyhound blood in the non peds. 

• Like 1

My father raced them in the 80/90's, all had a touch of greyhound in, not many lines wont have. I took the odd one out for a run on the rabbits, catch no problem but easily got banged up, usually feet trouble. The odd one lasted longer, my mate had a ex track dog around 23" whippet greyhound, that would be mid 70's, i used to skive school and take it out, fantastic rabbit dog and a decent nose, not so great on the hares, if it didnt catch it in the first couple of hundred yards it didnt normally catch it. Didnt have great wind but recovered fast enough. Some he had, the little black one was around 17" like a miniture greyhound, that one had at least 1/4 greyhound in it. I have a fair few pics of his dogs. The little bitch at the bottom was gifted  to a old ferreting man as it was a yard short of open class, he said it was shit hot on the rabbits.

img001.jpg

img0052.jpg

fullsizeoutput_bd4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_c27.jpeg

• Like 9