A break from the madness

Off up to the shoot today on my own, of course, first port of call was down to the farmhouse to check on the old girl as I pulled up I noticed her cleaning the greenhouse out. She came out to greet me at a safe distance of about 20’ and seemed genuinely pleased to see me, ( this is not normally peoples reaction when I turn up ) after a chat for 20 minutes or so about this and that, advising her to stay in and if there was anything she needed all she had to do was give me a ring, I headed to the shed to get the bike out and set off to the far side of the shoot for a walk around. After shooting a couple of tree rats I had a wander round looking for foxy evidence but mainly it was just nice to be out on a lovely clear spring day, with the current situation I’m not sure what will happen with the shoot this year  as we need to let the pheasant supplier know by the middle of may if we are going ahead as once the eggs are in the incubator we owe him money. After spending a good 4 hours on my own in the forestry and feeling much better for the solitude I headed back to the farm to put the bike away, only stopping to watch 2 roe deer for a few minutes, on my way out I noticed a couple of rabbits in the beast field next to the house, so I may well have a trip up tomorrow night and see if I can account for a couple of them ?

1861298F-DCAB-44FF-B50F-C712D3F3848E.jpeg

42D051E1-41D6-4591-A1D8-C2CFE38FC972.jpeg

• Like 5

Cheers Dave, it’s a labour of love, if I didn’t have to work I would spend all my time here, the way things are at the minute I may well have the time to do a fair few jobs I haven’t had time to do over the past couple of seasons 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

You take a good photo buddy. 

Might have to miss a shoot this year but you can do an extensive vermin control program to encourage some wild birds!

Take care matey.

Cheers mate, I think I should of taken the proper camera today instead of the rifle, there was loads of different song birds about, it has dried out very quickly up there it was only last week I would of struggled to get the quad down some of the rides, today almost all of the pools were dried up with lots of spawn laid on the ground 

at the minute it’s not looking to good for the shooting season, I’ll be in touch with the shoot captain and secretary over the next few weeks, if it doesn’t go ahead the members will be told the rent will be getting paid and maybe we might get a couple of ruff days, but we will see

on another note one of the lads from the shoot has just rang and asked if we can get out on the foxes on Thursday, it was a polite NO, followed by, have you got any idea what’s going on, have a think about your elderly relatives ( you plank )

EF050623-3A0C-4564-B75A-86CE7994641D.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

the way things are at the minute I may well have the time to do a fair few jobs I haven’t had time to do over the past couple of seasons 

Maybe not after tonight's announcement mate, though one man's "essential" might not be another's. Strange times. ?

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

Maybe not after tonight's announcement mate, though one man's "essential" might not be another's. Strange times. ?

Very strange times mate, on one hand I never see anyone when I’m there on my own, on the other am I breaking the rules ? I’m supposed to be there tomorrow night after rabbits, to be fair the police are going to be to busy chasing chavs and crackheads about to worry about one man on his own nowhere near anyone else, gathering a bit of food because the shops look like they have been raided 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Bongo said you can exercise, he said walking, cycling or running. Ok running is out for you and me but we can still walk right?

That's what I'll be saying, this is my exercise, also I'm carrying out pest control to help keep the countries food supply chain going ?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Apparently you must stay in , FE0 s advice , as if you are out and caught your FAC may be revoked.

I spoke to my officer this morning regarding that as one of my mates said the same!

told him about the fox and lamb scenario and that I’d been baiting away from the area and had photo evidence and he said it’s not a firearms offence and it would be down to you coming up with a justifiable excuse to the officer your talking to is on board and your not just taking the p and out shooting to get you out of the house. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Where did the feo get this from please.

FAC holders are supposedly responsible people. Imagine you are out shooting alone and have an accident and need medical assistance from our emergency services taking them away from the current pandemic.  Front page news making shooters look irresponsible when everyone is indoors and you are out enjoying yourself.  I am climbing the walls to be out too believe me , glad I had a look the other night .....

20200321_233548.jpg

1 minute ago, FOXHUNTER said:

FAC holders are supposedly responsible people. Imagine you are out shooting alone and have an accident and need medical assistance from our emergency services taking them away from the current pandemic.  Front page news making shooters look irresponsible when everyone is indoors and you are out enjoying yourself.  I am climbing the walls to be out too believe me , glad I had a look the other night .....

20200321_233548.jpg

In all honesty I think your comment is presumptuous.

Most of us do a service and it most certainly is not always enjoyable.

The fact the press want to condemn every shooting person in the country says more about them than the shooter.

If I break a leg at work, walk in the garden, home or shooting it makes no difference, I and you are eligible for treatment. If I crash going to work tomorrow and need a bed in hospital will that make the press? No I doubt it.

If I am to be tried by the press and public opinion then we no longer have any rule of law. As we do have rule of law the press and public opinion can go and play with themselves.