Applying for shotgun license with criminal conviction

Hello

I'm looking to apply for my sgc license, I was convinced 3 years ago twice for possession of class a 0.3 and 1.0 gram, long story short I was hanging about with the wrong people in my life young and stupid regret it alot. I've changed everything around bought my first house steady job. Get drug tested 4/ 5 times every year. What are the chances of getting a license? 

I'm pretty sure class A's are a bit of a no no until its a spent conviction, about the 10 year mark from recollection before it's spent.

As Ben says though ring your local FEO and ask.

Id just phone up and ask for the firearms officers opinion. Drugs being 'mind/mood' altering (along with alcohol), its only right they would be cautious, but if you have lots of evidence you are a long long way from where you were before, it could get put down to a little hiccup, or in your case 2 hiccups.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gav said:

5 years if you were fined, 7 years if you were jailed for upto 6 months or 10 years for 6 months or more!

If you spend three years or more. Then you can’t own any gun including airguns for life

• Like 1

I'd  just apply,  I  wouldn't ask the opinion of any feo.   Most of them dont know the pointy  end from  The blunt end and they just come out with any old sort of tripe as do most plod, retired or serving.  I'd just fill in the form TRUTHFULLY and let the office staff in the department sort the bones out of that lot. About three  things will happen.  They'll  grant it.  They'll reject  it.  Or they'll ask questions.  I've known people who were totally unfit to have any sort of gun and that Includes a kid's spud gun. There was a bloke who came to our rifle club wjo was a complete slob.  From the start off he was aggressive and said about beating his neighbour up and going home to give the woman a backhander and putting her in her place.  He was a complete c**t.  The club Secretary and the chairman of the club had a word in the department's ear saying that in no way would they endorse any application.   Eventually he stopped coming to our club and jumped through several other clubs who all knew the officials in these other clubs and all of these clubs concured  that he was a serious risk and notified the department accordingly . this bloke just kept applying and much to everyone's surprise they gave him both a sgc and a fac. Right or wrong ?  Just apply.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
18 minutes ago, Meece said:

I'd  just apply,  I  wouldn't ask the opinion of any feo.   Most of them dont know the pointy  end from  The blunt end and they just come out with any old sort of tripe as do most plod, retired or serving.  I'd just fill in the form TRUTHFULLY and let the office staff in the department sort the bones out of that lot. About three  things will happen.  They'll  grant it.  They'll reject  it.  Or they'll ask questions.  I've known people who were totally unfit to have any sort of gun and that Includes a kid's spud gun. There was a bloke who came to our rifle club wjo was a complete slob.  From the start off he was aggressive and said about beating his neighbour up and going home to give the woman a backhander and putting her in her place.  He was a complete c**t.  The club Secretary and the chairman of the club had a word in the department's ear saying that in no way would they endorse any application.   Eventually he stopped coming to our club and jumped through several other clubs who all knew the officials in these other clubs and all of these clubs concured  that he was a serious risk and notified the department accordingly . this bloke just kept applying and much to everyone's surprise they gave him both a sgc and a fac. Right or wrong ?  Just apply.

Aye dicks like that give us all a bad name ?

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Gav said:

Aye dicks like that give us all a bad name ?

They do, but a lot of this is out of our control. If you see someone doing stupid irresponsible things it is our duty to bring  it to the attention  of the authorities.   Youve done what you think  is right. If they agree they'll do their duty.  If they don't and Muppet does something stupid it is their responsibility.  It's out of your hands

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Meece said:

They do, but a lot of this is out of our control. If you see someone doing stupid irresponsible things it is our duty to bring  it to the attention  of the authorities.   Youve done what you think  is right. If they agree they'll do their duty.  If they don't and Muppet does something stupid it is their responsibility.  It's out of your hands

Well yes and no, we still pay the price even if it's plods fault! Remember Thomas Hamilton!

• Like 1

Yes, but if the applicant has seen the light and the penny has dropped that putting stuff in your body is wrong and is going to prey for their misdomeanouurs then asking foes or basic what they think is an unnecessary step. Just apply.  They'll either be granted or not. They have to consider any actions from tthat point. 

Edit.  We as a shooting community  seem to over think situations.  We through our so called orgs like basic do stupid things which inhibit us like the fact that basic pushed for Dsc which they were organising and charging for. Everytime there is something that they think they can make a few Bob out of they promote it .  Asking any third party for their opinion like the foe or basic is a waste of time. You might as well ask any passer by in the street what their option is. If you want something you have got to go for it.  If it works out that's great if it doesn't you consider the next angle.  If they say no, I  don't think it costs you anything.  You get your  money back. 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Meece said:

Yes, but if the applicant has seen the light and the penny has dropped that putting stuff in your body is wrong and is going to prey for their misdomeanouurs then asking foes or basic what they think is an unnecessary step. Just apply.  They'll either be granted or not. They have to consider any actions from tthat point. 

Edit.  We as a shooting community  seem to over think situations.  We through our so called orgs like basic do stupid things which inhibit us like the fact that basic pushed for Dsc which they were organising and charging for. Everytime there is something that they think they can make a few Bob out of they promote it .  Asking any third party for their opinion like the foe or basic is a waste of time. You might as well ask any passer by in the street what their option is. If you want something you have got to go for it.  If it works out that's great if it doesn't you consider the next angle.  If they say no, I  don't think it costs you anything.  You get your  money back. 

I agree about asking Meece.

If you ask for a rifle calibre the police will say no as asking is not meeting the supplying of a good reason to posses a firearm which is required by law.

Just apply and then they have to go through due procedure.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

I would ensure you join basc or sacs BEFORE you apply. They won't help you if you join after being refused and any help, even theirs, is better than none 

How are they going to help ?  Basic have absolutely no sway whatsoever .  As indicated by the hunting ban marches back when.  If they had any influence whatsoever people wouldn't have been waiting anything up to a year for renewal  of a cert.  Plod was just messing people about issuing section 7s one after the other.   It is a total disgrace and these orgs should have been on the case day and night threatening to take them to court .... anything.  But nothing.   Any  mention of basic is like a red reg to a buĺl to me.  They are brought into the mix by shooters as if what they say has any bearing.  All the time that the shooting comunity  even considers  this org it is another Nail in the box for shooting because  all their interested in doing is self gratification and self promotion. They were  trying to get shooters to pay to go to pigeon shooting seminars  to get a certificate that they'd been on a basic course. To show farmers !  What next a 15 yard swiming cert in case the shooter fell in a puddle. Its no good saying how their the leading voice ect but unless they play hard and get results for those who pay the subscriptions their about as effective as the girl guides. 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1