Early finish

Finishing my season early this year rabbit numbers are so low round me I don't want to take anymore I thought it was picking up mid season but seems it was only a good few weeks where I saw plenty about then now I only see one or two knocking about I'm really hoping they breed like the clappers over the summer months and have some numbers round me for next season 

5 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Finishing my season early this year rabbit numbers are so low round me I don't want to take anymore I thought it was picking up mid season but seems it was only a good few weeks where I saw plenty about then now I only see one or two knocking about I'm really hoping they breed like the clappers over the summer months and have some numbers round me for next season 

Fair play ty I'm only just getting started what wi the amount of injuries and shite luck so think I'll finish in june

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Saltmoon said:

Fair play mate no numbers by me now just a steady number to slowly tick over on when I first moved out here 2yr ago I thought all my Christmases had come at once it was the back end of the summer the wheat fields were alive you’d see 20-25rabbits bolting from the crop back to there Warrens on most fields the land was crawling with them I was buzzing for the season to start I kept my trap shut only telling 2 people in my circle I thought there was potential to have a good crack at some numbers with the people I get out with a month before the crop come down I was finding mint condition rabbits just layed there dead all over the place once the lamping season started I started getting out for a look it was like Barron land you’d get the odd run here an there I mean there’s a few kicking about now but it’s only 2-3 in a field here an there down here if it’s rabbits your after you have to be prepared to walk miles an miles an do a all nighter for not a lot of return but I’m prepared to travel the district just to see my dog run hard times call for desperate measures if your wanting to keep a dog ticking over the ferreting game down here is flat on its face I got rid of mine I’d had the strain for years but it was a pointless effort to keep them I’ve got use of a hob whenever I want to use it us two blokes can’t even put enough work the hobs way because there’s not enough for it 

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, poxon said:

Fair play mate no numbers by me now just a steady number to slowly tick over on when I first moved out here 2yr ago I thought all my Christmases had come at once it was the back end of the summer the wheat fields were alive you’d see 20-25rabbits bolting from the crop back to there Warrens on most fields the land was crawling with them I was buzzing for the season to start I kept my trap shut only telling 2 people in my circle I thought there was potential to have a good crack at some numbers with the people I get out with a month before the crop come down I was finding mint condition rabbits just layed there dead all over the place once the lamping season started I started getting out for a look it was like Barron land you’d get the odd run here an there I mean there’s a few kicking about now but it’s only 2-3 in a field here an there down here if it’s rabbits your after you have to be prepared to walk miles an miles an do a all nighter for not a lot of return but I’m prepared to travel the district just to see my dog run hard times call for desperate measures if your wanting to keep a dog ticking over the ferreting game down here is flat on its face I got rid of mine I’d had the strain for years but it was a pointless effort to keep them I’ve got use of a hob whenever I want to use it us two blokes can’t even put enough work the hobs way because there’s not enough for it 

That's it went out last 2 nights dog never left the slip on a lamp just some free hunting at the end he didn't find feck all either I keep him fit enough though I'll try some day time mooching just to keep his mind active and get his nose working but I know we won't see bugger all. If there was no ban I'd be laughing more roe down by me then you can shake a stick at! 

8 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

That's it went out last 2 nights dog never left the slip on a lamp just some free hunting at the end he didn't find feck all either I keep him fit enough though I'll try some day time mooching just to keep his mind active and get his nose working but I know we won't see bugger all. If there was no ban I'd be laughing more roe down by me then you can shake a stick at! 

That’s it mate if there’s no lamping to be had it’s more focus on mooching about time same round here on the roe front accidents happen though mate unfortunately I’ve been thinking with the decline in rabbits what direction to go in my aim was to keep the smaller type rabbit type Lurcher to keep me out of trouble I can’t be doing with no more trouble at my door but I can already see I’m trying to adapt already again with this pup I got going for the more sturdy type this time than a small racey one next I’ll be adding size an speed back in the mix ??‍♂️I can see it happening with the decline in rabbits in the distant future but who knows I was always told be ready for anything an don’t restrict your self I have been thinking of adding a purpose bred busher to my little team something on the lines of terrier x spaniel but want to see how it plays out with this pup she seems switched on to want to find stuff ands doing well but don’t want to over dog my self there’s no point 

1 hour ago, poxon said:

That’s it mate if there’s no lamping to be had it’s more focus on mooching about time same round here on the roe front accidents happen though mate unfortunately I’ve been thinking with the decline in rabbits what direction to go in my aim was to keep the smaller type rabbit type Lurcher to keep me out of trouble I can’t be doing with no more trouble at my door but I can already see I’m trying to adapt already again with this pup I got going for the more sturdy type this time than a small racey one next I’ll be adding size an speed back in the mix ??‍♂️I can see it happening with the decline in rabbits in the distant future but who knows I was always told be ready for anything an don’t restrict your self I have been thinking of adding a purpose bred busher to my little team something on the lines of terrier x spaniel but want to see how it plays out with this pup she seems switched on to want to find stuff ands doing well but don’t want to over dog my self there’s no point 

I'm thinking of getting a terrier for ratting day times on farms should be alot easier to get perm to do that then lamping lots don't want people round at night. I cant just have a dog for a pet what's the point in that really the lurcher will come ratting to hes had a fair few anyway so just be some fun to have with the dogs still working abit but trying to get a terrier man to let you in is like blood from a stone ?

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Just got to adapt men... Hunt the forestry blocks, plenty about and no prying ? and stay off the feilds and social media.... ? DSC_0765.JPG.283c7d4550253fd7863befe28bbabe12.JPG

True mate if you don’t adapt or change ya out the game that’s the way I look at it 

• Like 1

What’s worrying is that a lot of folk in the dog game are total muppets. At least with rabbits they can’t make too much noise and mess. They move onto other things and it’s an embarrassment, they make as all look bad! 

Some very good spots have been ruined after years, by the window lickers. 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

To be honest DC I think it would be best if every one just gave the game up lol.

Most will soon get bored and on too the next thing jai.... Happens every few seasons I've noticed... Honestly why I don't bother going out with folks... Can count on one hand the lads who I'd go out with. Places we've done for yrs are now a no go with the dogs.... The forest is a perfect example... Couple of muppets f****d it for the rest of us?

Could see it happening a few seasons ago, that's why I walked away from the digging side of things, invites out to use my dogs because some other slimey cnuts couldn't get a result with the dirt they feeding.....wtfs up with folks who purposely take people out to try and see them fail??? 

• Like 2

You’re right they do get bored and give it up but they do a lot of damage before that, and there’s always some idiot waiting to fill their spot.

I keep myself to myself and a very small number of lads I’ve mostly known for a long time. Many of the times I’ve had interactions with other folk outside my little circle, it’s led to drama and hassle. The ban, Facebook, mobile phones etc, have all played their parts, but people are just morons.

Youre right there were spots we’d hunted for years, every week, always catching well and never even meeting anyone, let alone getting any hassle. Doesn’t take long for other folk with loud mouths, and a lack of viable brain cells to f**k it all and make it very hot and unviable.

And yer mate I ask my self what the f**k is up with folk many many times a day.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

Yes

Edited by Black neck
Nuts