alsation/grey

Alsation lurchers this is wortse than retriever lurchers there is a lad in my area that last year bred a litter of these I saw  one of the pups at a show they looked like skinny alsations & when the judge walked up to it it went on the attack like they re bred to do... what good is an alsation lurcher the alsation is one of the most fuked up breeds there is since the kennel club got hold of it they cant even walk properly never mind run

steady on mik ever seen one work [anyway them SHOW judges need to be kept on there toes]mate of mine had one first class guard single handed fox slayer all round hunter any one else tried this cross

Guest CharlieC

A friend had a GSD x Deerhound years ago but it was just a pet really so I cant say what it was like work wise, it was quite a gangly looking dog, it had been rescued from a pub where it had been kept locked up in a yard with a GSD all day and not given much attention.

I met a lad a few years ago with the same cross, he rated the dog very highly for deer etc but I never saw it run so cant comment.

I totally agree about GSDs though, they have been completely ruined by show people, if you look at pics of dogs from Germany when they first arrived in the UK they had much straighter backs and were more like their fitter cousins the belgian shepherd. These days they are so exaggerated they are a joke! Check out this pic of an American showdog, :icon_eek: How anyone can think this dog looks good is beyond me! :icon_eek:

overangulatedGSD.jpg

there was a well known deer poacher from down south poisibly dorset that had GSD. IN his strain . cant remember his name but it was a few years back,

also a few years back had a mate that had a GSD/GREY... X....BULL/GREY.

THIS ANIMAL STOOD ABOUT 26" BRINDLE MUSCULAR WITHOUT BEING OVER HEAVY LIKE MOST BULL CROSSES . THIS ANIMAL WAS REAL GOOD LOOKING

I SAW IT LAMP RABBITS ALL NIGHT & RETRIVE THEN KILL FOX AND DO PLENTY FALLOW . IT REAL WAS A GOOD ANIMAL

MIND YOU THESE QUALITYS COULD HAVE COME FROM THE BULL IN ITS MAKE UP OR THE GREY.

I've only ever come across one when i was working at a kennels, the dog was in for boarding and looked like a german shepherd but had adopted a greyhounds frame ... I made sure i was in on the day the owner picked it up just to pick his brains, turns out the dog was 18 months and was an excellent all rounder and exelled and lamping fox, the dog was a gentle giant and smart looking. I breed GSD's Myself and dont think theyre a particularly agressive breed but like anyother working dog they focus on the task in hand, which in their case is guarding. Any dog in the wrong hands can be dangerous ...

:good: Ant :good:

Interesting thread, but i would like to add there are German Shepherds and there are German Shepherds. :angry: The comments about the dogs aggressive temperament and conformation can clearly be seen in some dogs in this country. 99% of Shepherd in this country are bred for show or pets. European Shepherds are a totally different kettle of fish, they are bred for WORK. I have two such dogs bred from Belgian inports, one a youngster and a six year old male. The male has been worked in various competitions and is both physically and mentally sound. The dog is trained for competition obedience, has completed competition tracks over two miles and is trained to perform various manwork exercises such as quartering for hidden persons, handler protection and has been trained to perform these exersises in variety of situations for both competition and real life. The dog has also given demos to school kids with no fear of of dog aggression. This dog has been bred over countless generations to produce sound dogs both physically and temperament wise. All dogs have no show blood and must be physicallly and mentally sound, AND acheive working qualifications before they are bred from. My own dog is 25" and 70lb, has a low hip score and is a REAL GERMAN SHEPHERD. I've only kept terriers so can't comment on the ability of GSD lurchers in the field but I am starting to take them out with my terrier and see how they do. Should a owner with an aggressive dog be taking it in the ring? And shouldn't a lurcher be judged in the field and not the show ring??? :whistle:

Hi Mick,

I'll try and get some up by next weekend, trying to master the digital camera. I suppose I could read the instructions but that would be admitting defeat :11:

My dogs don't resemble the mutant in CharlieC's photo, thank god :yahoo:

i don't like the breed full stop, they have no place in hunting anything they would have to be the worse stock killing dogs around if in the wrong hands, and they just look wrong :11: parents had them for years and i grew up with the breed but they just don't do it for me for a hunting breed.

there was a well known deer poacher from down south poisibly dorset that had GSD. IN his strain . cant remember his name but it was a few years back,

also a few years back had a mate that had a GSD/GREY... X....BULL/GREY.

THIS ANIMAL STOOD ABOUT 26" BRINDLE MUSCULAR WITHOUT BEING OVER HEAVY LIKE MOST BULL CROSSES . THIS ANIMAL WAS REAL GOOD LOOKING

I SAW IT LAMP RABBITS ALL NIGHT & RETRIVE THEN KILL FOX AND DO PLENTY FALLOW . IT REAL WAS A GOOD ANIMAL

MIND YOU THESE  QUALITYS COULD HAVE COME FROM THE BULL IN ITS MAKE UP OR THE GREY.

I believe it was Geoffrey Battams TOMO.

It's all down to personal choice. Any dog can be a stock killer if not trained and in the wrong hands. My dogs are around livestock, poultry and cats all day with no problems, why? because I stock broke them like any other dog. As I already mentioned, i didn't purposefully buy Shepherds to hunt with but when out they display good instincts and a good nose. However the question arose would they be a usefull baseline for a lurcher :yes: They have an excellent nose, good feet, coat, good mouth, stamina and again when using EUROPEAN WORKING LINES they have good physical/mental attributes. Again it's down to personal preference, there are already a lot of good crosses out there that would do everything required and I personally believe only tested dogs should be bred from. :guitar:

• 1 month later...