Old school.

On 07/11/2019 at 14:40, Greyman said:

apparently you can’t use rechargeables in trail cams and I do put all the flat ones in the recycling though as I said I normally take them out the cams when they drop to 70 percent so often put them in other things that still function with them ✌️✌️

I think some manufacturers are afraid that the potentially greater current in some rechargeable's may damage electronics. Never come across it personally.

21 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I've got a new name for you mate ?

https://youtu.be/uhcH0c469F8 

Not wanting to state the obvious, ?, even on here in the past some have used .22 subs to 100yds or more. I believe HO Guidance is 50yds from memory for fox (which is probably way less than some on here regularly shoot), and the board will also be read by people from searches who may be novices. I try to post to novices for that reason.

The factor with subs some people forget is you only have @80-100 ft lbs at the muzzle, depending on the brand and it's often stated it takes around 50-65ft lbs to guarantee a clean kill on a fox with a correctly placed shot depending on whose estimates you believe. On the that basis, you don't have much range before the energy falls below the clean kill level. Hence the guidance. People have killed hogs with .22 RF. Just because you can get away with something, doesn't mean you should. Eventually it will bite your ass and no-one wants to see an animal suffer. If being obvious prevents that, then yes I'm your captain!

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had to pop out what with there being no moon and warm wind. I mooched around listening for any barking. Eventually I heard a quiet shallow bark not to far away so I moved towards it. The blo

Well I am loving this ammo. It's brilliant, four squirrels from one chestnut tree in a field. All shot off hand at 60yds or so. The 30yd shot at a rabbit clipped a twig but the 125yd rabbit

Three hours I've been chasing foxes tonight! Going around in circles trying to get on one, it gave up in the end and disappeared. The moon was bright and so I covered my hands and face but it made lit

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Three hours I've been chasing foxes tonight! Going around in circles trying to get on one, it gave up in the end and disappeared. The moon was bright and so I covered my hands and face but it made little difference it could still see me and of course the lamp.

I was about to go home then a series of barks broke out again. I marched towards it.

It was so busy spraying scent about and remembering Meece's advice about it's eyes I settled into the off hand shot.

Turns out he was 93 strides.

IMG_20200103_223513158.jpg.b132d3ee31510a1710e0ac7c191481d9.jpg

Big old black tail dog. Wet scars on his face from fighting. For his size I'm surprised he got his face in such a mess! She must be worth it!!

I'm glad that my advice was of some use. The effect of bright moonlight on the target  and the angle  on that target may have an effect on how the target is illuminated. ( like having a much bigger more powerful light source  or like looking towards a light. ). It's in conditions like this that fieldcraft comes into play with consideration of wind (If any) and background come into play. There have been many times when I have seen experienced shots just mulching about in fields or along skylines completely oblivious to the fact that they stand out like silhouettes. Many times though the dogs are so obsessed with nob that it overrides there normal instincts.  When I was young an old boy told me that fanny would suck you further than gunpowder would blow you.????.     Love the pyjamas. You'll be wearing a smoking jacket next.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Meece said:

I'm glad that my advice was of some use. The effect of bright moonlight on the target  and the angle  on that target may have an effect on how the target is illuminated. ( like having a much bigger more powerful light source  or like looking towards a light. ). It's in conditions like this that fieldcraft comes into play with consideration of wind (If any) and background come into play. There have been many times when I have seen experienced shots just mulching about in fields or along skylines completely oblivious to the fact that they stand out like silhouettes. Many times though the dogs are so obsessed with nob that it overrides there normal instincts.  When I was young an old boy told me that fanny would suck you further than gunpowder would blow you.????.     Love the pyjamas. You'll be wearing a smoking jacket next.

I did use the terrain the best I could but eventually had to keep a straight line towards it. Any sideways would of ruined the approach.

Your absolutely correct on all counts mate ?

1 hour ago, Meece said:

This will finish the look off perfectly.. and a bargain to boot :)

perfect for bright nights

EF9DD1F1-ED28-4CCD-9FF3-6CDB59A0E296.png.3d0e403d715eb834353c2d6dd209fc3b.png

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Meece said:

I'm glad that my advice was of some use. The effect of bright moonlight on the target  and the angle  on that target may have an effect on how the target is illuminated. ( like having a much bigger more powerful light source  or like looking towards a light. ). It's in conditions like this that fieldcraft comes into play with consideration of wind (If any) and background come into play. There have been many times when I have seen experienced shots just mooching  about in fields or along skylines completely oblivious to the fact that they stand out like silhouettes. Many times though the dogs are so obsessed with nob that it overrides there normal instincts.  When I was young an old boy told me that fanny would suck you further than gunpowder would blow you.????.     Love the pyjamas. You'll be wearing a smoking jacket next.

P s.   Another thing that I do is to only use the lamp very sparingly.  I only use white and it's only a very quick , flash round and off. Their used to white light from vehicles. No point in spooking them.  Then move like you did to close the distance.  When I  do lamp the target I either shine it on the ground in front of it or over the top, you can see the eyes like a golden glow. The gun is already mounted pretty  much to where I  estimate the target to be. The light goes on for about one second and bonk. This may account for my distance being around the eighty pace range.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Meece said:

P s.   Another thing that I do is to only use the lamp very sparingly.  I only use white and it's only a very quick , flash round and off. Their used to white light from vehicles. No point in spooking them.  Then move like you did to close the distance.  When I  do lamp the target I either shine it on the ground in front of it or over the top, you can see the eyes like a golden glow. The gun is already mounted pretty  much to where I  estimate the target to be. The light goes on for about one second and bonk. This may account for my distance being around the eighty pace range.

my mates a white lamp lad, won't use anything else.. hes been foxing for 25years and it works for him, ive offered him nv units and hes not interested, just uses a hand held trigger lamp and shoots in the crook of his arm!

strange thing is I struggle to spot what hes picking up with the white light and he cant see what im on when I pick up with the red!

hes well impressed with the cheating thermal though:shok:

6 minutes ago, si brown said:

my mates a white lamp lad, won't use anything else.. hes been foxing for 25years and it works for him, ive offered him nv units and hes not interested, just uses a hand held trigger lamp and shoots in the crook of his arm!

strange thing is I struggle to spot what hes picking up with the white light and he cant see what im on when I pick up with the red!

I use to shoot in the crook of my arm as you describe but went all modern a few years ago with a scope mounted light ?, how 'with it' is that ?

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I use to shoot in the crook of my arm as you describe but went all modern a few years ago with a scope mounted light ?, how 'with it' is that ?

funny you should say that hes a bit of a traditional lad when it comes to hunting..

Ive known him since school and hes just as keen now as he was when we were poaching trout and rabbits at 15?

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, si brown said:

I know a couple of keepers and they still use lamps but only use white, the reason is vehicle lights are white so they don’t seem to be bothered by them flashing across the land, like you I can never see what they are pointing them at but they don’t seem to have any problem clearing up the vermin 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Some do around here, I will see their light flicking across the distant horizon sometimes.

looks like we are still in the blitz some nights when the keepers are out in force..

lights all over and the Sarajevo soundtrack, I just aim for home when its like that, dont fancy getting shot:icon_eek:

my stomping ground has a shoot either side of it, theres loads of land between them but I know if one of them spots something in the distance it'll be getting shot at

• Like 1
On 04/01/2020 at 09:26, si brown said:

This will finish the look off perfectly.. and a bargain to boot :)

perfect for bright nights

EF9DD1F1-ED28-4CCD-9FF3-6CDB59A0E296.png.3d0e403d715eb834353c2d6dd209fc3b.png

Maybe he should buy one of these. On the BBC, this seems to be the latest in camouflage:

Adult-Teletubby-Costume.jpg

You've even got a head attachment for your gun sling....

....and look how well the green one merges with the landscape:

p038bdly.jpg

It's just a pity the green one doesn't come with the lamp holder you see on the red.

• Haha 2