Old school.

Just had to pop out what with there being no moon and warm wind.

I mooched around listening for any barking. Eventually I heard a quiet shallow bark not to far away so I moved towards it. The blooming thing came my way too but into a thick hedge the opposite side! It smells like a regular spot too.

I heard it leg it the other side. I did get a glint in the distance and that was that so I decided to drive to a neighboring farm with ewes about to lamb.

I walked around listening. Nothing.

I was just getting back to the car when I ejected the subbie from the auto and would you believe it a bark, a very subtle bark, just like earlier in fact!

I reload and make my way to a gate hole and give some good squeals on my reed type caller. With in five minutes and out off what appeared nowhere there she was less than 50yds away.

She was a bit twitchy but a wee squeak just held her still for me to trip that trigger.

IMG_20191228_232808383.jpg.bd00a485ad4c5eb29cc8bedb813cd0ee.jpg

SD.

• Like 9

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had to pop out what with there being no moon and warm wind. I mooched around listening for any barking. Eventually I heard a quiet shallow bark not to far away so I moved towards it. The blo

Well I am loving this ammo. It's brilliant, four squirrels from one chestnut tree in a field. All shot off hand at 60yds or so. The 30yd shot at a rabbit clipped a twig but the 125yd rabbit

Three hours I've been chasing foxes tonight! Going around in circles trying to get on one, it gave up in the end and disappeared. The moon was bright and so I covered my hands and face but it made lit

Posted Images

3 hours ago, philpot said:

Forgive my ignorance SD as I don't shoot foxes but with .22 subs, where is your aim point.

Phil

No head shots for me, not saying never but always the boiler room. Across the ribs,  or down the bib. No risk of busted jaws.

If you like I treat it just how I would shoot a deer.

• Like 4
On 29/12/2019 at 09:12, philpot said:

Forgive my ignorance SD as I don't shoot foxes but with .22 subs, where is your aim point.

Phil

Body shots are OK so long as it's short distance. The Police guidance is short from memory with rf. Many will tell you they've been successful at longer ranges. My friend regularly used subs at 80yds. The question becomes one of at what distance does the risk of wounding increase to the point where the risk is unacceptable? There's also the risk of prosecution in making an inhumane shot at excessive range. Restrict .22rf to reasonable distances and base that also on your skill level. If in doubt don't take the shot or reach for a HMR or CF depending on the distance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Alsone said:

Body shots are OK so long as it's short distance. The Police guidance is short from memory with rf. Many will tell you they've been successful at longer ranges. My friend regularly used subs at 80yds. The question becomes one of at what distance does the risk of wounding increase to the point where the risk is unacceptable? There's also the risk of prosecution in making an inhumane shot at excessive range. Restrict .22rf to reasonable distances and base that also on your skill level. If in doubt don't take the shot or reach for a HMR or CF depending on the distance. 

I've got a new name for you mate ?

https://youtu.be/uhcH0c469F8 

• Haha 3

Thanks guys.

I would not take a shot on rabbit or pigeon if were in doubt as to whether I was able to make the kill so certainly not a fox but I do take on board what has been said. I would use HV by choice if using my .22lr as I keep HV in a spare mag so not a problem to quickly change over but I am toying with the idea of getting a .223 for foxes and athough I have a slot for hmr, I really don't see one being any use to me at this stage other than conrolling hares on one perm where they cause a lot of damage to sugar beet and usually it is tricky to get within 100 mts so I wouldnt rule one out but remains low on my wish list.

Phil

• Like 2

Today I picked up some Hornady varmint express. A 22lr of 40gn doing around 1160fps

The bullet is very similar to the Winchester copper washed power point bullet! It has a thin dry wax lube.

IMG_20200103_120128919.jpg.99a04f84974e40e4149e192820034882.jpg

They behave s just as I expected as in they are not much louder than a subbie and flatten the traj over the useful range of a 22. They don't really extend range but enhance the range. Connecting to 75 yards is easy.

The thick post on my reticle comes in about 100yds with subbies. The same post comes in around 125yds with the Hornady ammo.

My old fave field target, the generic cow pat demonstrated a dislike to this ammo! Even at 100yds the muck would fly all roads with a great audible report compared to the subbies.

Accuracy wise the jury is out. They aren't terrible and I detected no up and down variations.

More plinking is required, see you in a bit ?

I have 22lr,  222, 223, 43 & 270 to chose from but over the years I have shot many more foxes with the 22lr than anything else. This is because I have used the 22lr rifle when wandering for rabbits.  I was always loaded with rws subsonics for the rabbits.   I never had high velocity rounds loaded and It was always a chest shot. Mostly I  shoot at abour eighty paces because I noticed that, that was the distance when I could see a pair of eyes like a pair of binoculars.  The targets nearly drop on the spot and the odd one might run 20 to 30 paces and then fail but this is quite normal with deer. Years ago a 22lr was considered a powerful rifle. Nowadays some bright spark foes that don't know the pointy  end from the blunt end quote some anonymous source (probably kwis) that a 22lr isnt powerful enough to kill Fox. Better they'd go and tell the foxes that their ok cos it's not a real gun, it's only a. 22rf! 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 3

Another wee session proved fruitful.

I printed a 2" group on an old gate post at 100 strides and I mean strides and not just shuffling my feet. I guessed the hold which wasn't much but I just did what felt natural. My group was just above my target. I put two later 3/4" apart at 85 strides, I had judged it wrong and thought it was 75. I gave no hold but was only an inch low.

I was shooting by a chicken unit which is under strict disease control and all pheasant in and around the unit has to be eliminated. So when I bumped into this large cock bird I got on with it and the ammo under test performed as I expected. When I shot I judged it in excess off 100. I paced it off. 121 paces! This does emphasise for me why I wanted to try these, they do enhance the 22lr without increasing noise by much and they certainly cycle and auto with authority.

IMG_20200103_161646949.jpg.288bdd13acb5af1540a7d65990e510ff.jpg

Thanks for the tip Meece regards a fox's eyes at eighty yards, never gave it a thought but under stressful conditions could be useful.

SD.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Today I picked up some Hornady varmint express. A 22lr of 40gn doing around 1160fps

The bullet is very similar to the Winchester copper washed power point bullet! It has a thin dry wax lube.

IMG_20200103_120128919.jpg.99a04f84974e40e4149e192820034882.jpg

They behave s just as I expected as in they are not much louder than a subbie and flatten the traj over the useful range of a 22. They don't really extend range but enhance the range. Connecting to 75 yards is easy.

The thick post on my reticle comes in about 100yds with subbies. The same post comes in around 125yds with the Hornady ammo.

My old fave field target, the generic cow pat demonstrated a dislike to this ammo! Even at 100yds the muck would fly all roads with a great audible report compared to the subbies.

Accuracy wise the jury is out. They aren't terrible and I detected no up and down variations.

More plinking is required, see you in a bit ?

I will be interested to see how well these turn out for you SD. Next week my pal and myself are setting up a 'range' in our quarry perm which will be out of wind so we will see  if they match up to RWS subs at all distances within the .22lr usable range.

Phil

• Like 2

Three hours I've been chasing foxes tonight! Going around in circles trying to get on one, it gave up in the end and disappeared. The moon was bright and so I covered my hands and face but it made little difference it could still see me and of course the lamp.

I was about to go home then a series of barks broke out again. I marched towards it.

It was so busy spraying scent about and remembering Meece's advice about it's eyes I settled into the off hand shot.

Turns out he was 93 strides.

IMG_20200103_223513158.jpg.b132d3ee31510a1710e0ac7c191481d9.jpg

Big old black tail dog. Wet scars on his face from fighting. For his size I'm surprised he got his face in such a mess! She must be worth it!!

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 5