Beating stick/stick making

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, two crows said:

I enjoy making sticks and have used allsorts including  dog rose, which I like, I give them as presents instead of a bottle for invites.

DSCF8483.JPG

T c, is that a welsh umbrella I can see? That twisted one, next to the dog's head, looks an interesting one ?

no mate just the colour, my sister gave me the dogs head when I was about 14 god rest her, its had a new shaft in that time lol. the twist is silver birch caused by honey suckle it has a rose knob  this one is willow it will be a thumbstick.

DSCF8484.JPG

Edited by two crows
  • Like 1
On 13/12/2019 at 00:48, Adam1010 said:

Hi all.

Does anyone on here make there own sticks? What does everyone use for beating sticks. I tend to use just straight Hazel nothing fancy as it just gets ruined at the end of the day. What’s your thoughts? 

Just get yourself a small folding saw in your bag or pocket and cut what you need when you need it, I cut hazel thumb sticks regularly, if they have a nice Y on them I might cut it off when I finish for a catty fork or I often leave them in the pub car park at the end of my walk for someone else to use, have had a few nice ones from the vines the grow on trees as well get some good natural twists and interesting shapes in them ?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, dodger said:

Smart them tc I could do with a stick myself state of my knees lately 

Any luck with lining.

don't know left them to it for several evenings and he was trying so fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...