• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those poor mice ?

Well zeroed my new tikka 17 HMR in to day What a nice little light weight gun and not as noisy as I thought it was going to be , but my god it’s accurate  is it a easy job to adjust the trig

It’s .22 Phil. Mostly for corvids, fox and if we need to thin out hares. Also works well on rabbits but makes a mess on body shots and often removes the head with head shots. With the wildcat evo it’s

25 minutes ago, philpot said:

What do you use the hornet on RFB and which one is it.

Phil

It’s .22 Phil. Mostly for corvids, fox and if we need to thin out hares. Also works well on rabbits but makes a mess on body shots and often removes the head with head shots. With the wildcat evo it’s quieter than hmr with a rimfire mod. 35 grain ballistic tip superbly accurate and hard hitting little round and comes into its own past 100 yards compared to hmr.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

It’s .22 Phil. Mostly for corvids, fox and if we need to thin out hares. Also works well on rabbits but makes a mess on body shots and often removes the head with head shots. With the wildcat evo it’s quieter than hmr with a rimfire mod. 35 grain ballistic tip superbly accurate and hard hitting little round and comes into its own past 100 yards compared to hmr.

Forest Lodge Guns have a nice .22 laminated stock Savage in s/h stock which looks really nice but not so sure about Savage. I am not going to jump as it is not something I need, it is more like something I fancy for hares and fox. 

Phil

16 minutes ago, philpot said:

Forest Lodge Guns have a nice .22 laminated stock Savage in s/h stock which looks really nice but not so sure about Savage. I am not going to jump as it is not something I need, it is more like something I fancy for hares and fox. 

Phil

Ideal for those Phil. Mines an hw60j, the trigger is superb. I can get Remington ballistic tip for £31/50 and I picked up some Remington 45 grain soft point for £20/50 which isn’t much more than some hmr prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 15/12/2019 at 10:46, Rimfireboy! said:

I have always thought that the Hornets are the rifles that the hmr wanted to be and never was. I cured the poor ammo issues with my hmr when i got rid of it and bought a hornet instead. I had the 17Hornet but eventually sold it and bought another .204 instead. I might at some point get a .22 Hornet. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ianm said:

I have always thought that the Hornets are the rifles that the hmr wanted to be and never was. I cured the poor ammo issues with my hmr when i got rid of it and bought a hornet instead. I had the 17Hornet but eventually sold it and bought another .204 instead. I might at some point get a .22 Hornet. 

Conversely, I was going to buy a .204 and then got the hornet. Different I know, but a .204 is most likely my next centrefire. I will keep the hornet though. The hmr might go, but for what I’d get for it, maybe I’ll keep it as a dedicated mouse gun?

• Haha 1

There's very little difference between the .17 and .22 Hornet apart from Nostalgia. The .17 has slightly more reach and is flatter. The .22 is slightly heavier although terminal effects seem similar. If you're shooting at long range then you might as well go .204, .223, .22-250 etc. It's more of a gap filler between rimmy and the latter rifles.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Conversely, I was going to buy a .204 and then got the hornet. Different I know, but a .204 is most likely my next centrefire. I will keep the hornet though. The hmr might go, but for what I’d get for it, maybe I’ll keep it as a dedicated mouse gun?

You never know! The right summer and we could be over run with them !!

• Haha 2