TEGAN AND JOCK .....

Cracking pics and post I always look forward to them :toast:

I dont see why some people question Socks decision :blink: he is with the dog day in day out, I think he knows better than anyone when she will be ready for what he wants her to do. Every pup is an individual and you cant have one blanket rule to suit them all, it simply isnt practical, you have to bring each one along at its own pace. Ive got a collie cross pup at 8 months who has done just a fraction of what her mother and grandfather were doing at that age, because she is emotionally and physically immature compared to them at that age. I also dont think she is going to be as good so I am holding her back in the hope of proving myself wrong by giving her a bit of extra time instead of rushing her on and then going oh I was right all along :doh:

Hope she continues to do well for you Socks :thumbs:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

excellent pics

Posted Images

Guest markbrick1
Well done socks and co :thumbs: the dogs are looking spot on.Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Markbrick1 you are the only person that has put a negative reply on this thread which is just the norm for you,why?

If you keep this sh1t up all you'll do is stop the genuine lads from starting threads like these. :no:

if you read back you will see i complement socks and co on there photos and dogs,his dog is lookin in fine fettle :thumbs::thumbs: and some great pictures,but he made a comment on a lamping dog doesnt need much brain? i disagee and asked socks why he thinks that,so were is a negative post,my oppinion is i think a good night dog is not easy to find and is as hard to find then a good day dog but i suppose my meaning of good is differant then others,iam not looking for an argument but i have been out with a lot of dogs at night who i wont go out with again and there decent day dog,i suppose its open for a topic which takes more skill a day are night dog :yes: ,mark

there really is no comparison ... a night dog has to learn to run to the end of the beam to find a rabbit ... then if its decent will learn to box them off a hedge and then retrieve to hand ... thats about all there is to lamping ... how you can say that a lamping dog needs more brains than a day one beggers beliefe ... you have only had ferrets a very short time so you have not done a lot of day work and have obviously never seen a good day dog work with the ferrets and nets .... a good day dag should be able to be sent out to hunt up a field push out and catch the game and retrieve to hand ... it should be able to go out with the gun and mark and retireve shot game ... when its out ferreting it should be able to mark 100% and be stock steady with ANY frret ... it should be able to sit back off the holes ... not disturb the nets ... purse or longnet ... hold a rabbit if needs be and then let go immediately you turn up and go straight back to the warren and carry on watching for bolts ..... those are the very basic requirements of a day dog and i havnt even gone into what makes a really good day dog ........ be my guest to put down why you think a lamping dog needs more brains than a day dog

Guest markbrick1
there really is no comparison ... a night dog has to learn to run to the end of the beam to find a rabbit ... then if its decent will learn to box them off a hedge and then retrieve to hand ... thats about all there is to lamping ... how you can say that a lamping dog needs more brains than a day one beggers beliefe ... you have only had ferrets a very short time so you have not done a lot of day work and have obviously never seen a good day dog work with the ferrets and nets .... a good day dag should be able to be sent out to hunt up a field push out and catch the game and retrieve to hand ... it should be able to go out with the gun and mark and retireve shot game ... when its out ferreting it should be able to mark 100% and be stock steady with ANY frret ... it should be able to sit back off the holes ... not disturb the nets ... purse or longnet ... hold a rabbit if needs be and then let go immediately you turn up and go straight back to the warren and carry on watching for bolts ..... those are the very basic requirements of a day dog and i havnt even gone into what makes a really good day dog ........ be my guest to put down why you think a lamping dog needs more brains than a day dog

right,to me ive had ferrets only a short time :laugh: what over 30 yrs,we wernt allowed them at home as a kid due to a very good freind having them crawl inside her pram and get mauled by one,but i had them,owned them in my early teens and all my dogs have worked with ferrets,even my terriers so loose the short time,now to me not doing a lot of day work my 1st lamp was possesed in about 1976up to then it was all day work and i have and always done a lot of day work but i prefare lamping,not because its easy to catch game and rabbits just my personal choice :D i do admit the longnet was 1st introduced to me by robw late last yr as i like to let the rabbits run for the dogs this netting thing is to easy,but i really enjoyed it and its an easy way to catch big nus and good numbers :D now stock proof what do you mean the farmers fetch there sheep and cows in at night and the dogs dont need to be stock proof,well not were i live i also rat around duck ponds were there out at night and the dogs have to be 100% with poultry :doh: ,hedges whis boxing of hedges theres not hedges everywere a lot of my fields have sheep mesh and if the dog cant jump and i mean jump no good on these farms,now i work 2 dogs and many a night one is often of the slip,we can somtimes put a lamp on a field and there will be 20 rabbits there that dog hasnt to move until its told then it singles the one out and stays on it like glue as soon as that lamp is of its back to youre feet with are without its catch,NO nose at all leaving everything else and knowing not to chase another why that lamps of, :no: like i said before my dogs work day and mark for the ferrets and have good noses but they leave them in the kennel when lampin,silence is the beauty of lamping no talking the dogs have to know what there doing and the retreave has to be there,anybody who has worked are seen my dogs work know iam not one of the pretenders,heres a picture of a dog retreavin 2 rabbits ar once and somtimes does 3,mark

post-1343-1199724149_thumb.jpg

Guest markbrick1
Socks, it is unfair to say a dog needs less of a brain to be good at lamping. Some dogs that excell at daytime dont make good lamp dogs does that make them less brainy?

well we agree on somthing joe,mark :clapper:

Guest markbrick1
Socks, it is unfair to say a dog needs less of a brain to be good at lamping. Some dogs that excell at daytime dont make good lamp dogs does that make them less brainy?

well we agree on somthing joe,mark :clapper:

and socks last thing i want to get into is a debate you asked me a question and i answered it,but what about the all and out lampers dog,night in night out to the ferreters are daytime rabbiters dog as thats what were talking here,RABBITS, THE FOCUS THE DETERMINATION IAM SURE THE NIGHT DOG IS MORE PRONE TO INJURY ITS GOT TO BE A MORE SENSIBLE CAREFULL RUNING DOG,its more prone to jacking as i think we would have to agree its works are runs harder then the daytime dog,sorry but my oppinion still stands a good night dog beats a good day dog,brains are definatly needed for lamping,mark

We had this debate not so long ago with hares, the daytime dog versus the night time dog, which is really running hardest and having to use the most savvy, (if you dont know the answer then I feel sorry for you :laugh: ) are we to have to endure the same debate over rabbits? Oh no please its too much to bear :doh::doh::laugh:

ferrets for 30 years ??? strange you were buying some only the other month ??? oh well ...... now all you have said is that the dog has to have good recall a good retrieve be stock broken and ? well thats about it realy ... everything else you have mentioned has nothing to do with brains ... being fast jumping etc etc ..... how does a rabbit running in the dark controlled by the beam run quicker and harder than a daytime rabbit ??? i think you will find that a rabbit in broad daylight is a harder animal to catch than a nightime one (much the same as the hare ... pre ban of course) ... a lamp dog has to run the beam and catch a disorientated rabbit and retrieve it ... thats it no more no less ... doesnt take much brains to do that ... speed yes brain no ... yes there are dogs that make others look silly when out lamping because they are very good at it ... BUT that doesnt make them any brainyer ......

i have lamped and ferreted for close on 30 years and a daytime dog needs more brain than a lamp dog FACT ..........

We had this debate not so long ago with hares, the daytime dog versus the night time dog, which is really running hardest and having to use the most savvy, (if you dont know the answer then I feel sorry for you :laugh: ) are we to have to endure the same debate over rabbits? Oh no please its too much to bear :doh::doh::laugh:

some people need education on all species before they get it :laugh::laugh::laugh: ..........

Guest markbrick1

some people need education on all species before they get it :laugh::laugh::laugh: ..........

some more then others and yes i was buying some the other month as mine died last yr and i thought i would just lamp heres some with kit and kat last yr are yr before :doh: now i dont want ti hijack an excellant topic :bye: mark

post-1343-1199727493_thumb.jpg

post-1343-1199727511_thumb.jpg

Guest joe ox

Who mentioned day versus night? or yes you have :doh: To say a dog doesnt need brains to be good at what it does day or night is ridiculous! SJM stick to running rabbits and plastic hares that a pure collie doesnt even struggle to kill.

Guest joe ox

Socks, Is a rabbit that has been scared out of its bury while sleeping or a hare what is pushed out of its cover then turned away from its only escape route because people are standing there not disorrientated?