Magpie, Catch & Cook

4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie the kids nursery rhyme was originally referring to rooks so it’s not new, an old mate of mine that used to live on a canal boat would always moor up underneath the rookeries in spring and shoot and eat the branchers amongst anything else that flew or swan to close to his boat ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Must be something about canal boaters, worked with one, he'd eat anything, liked a coot, was first time I tried zander, very tasty like cod! ,! 6'7" and welder fitter on a rmc plant, very talented man, built he's own broad beam canal boat, made a cello from scratch, a 4 year course, he done it in 18months whilst batching concrete, and keeping a busy plant going, and an acre allotment on site that fed us all, come from the fens! 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, waltjnr said:

Must be something about canal boaters, worked with one, he'd eat anything, liked a coot, was first time I tried zander, very tasty like cod! ,! 6'7" and welder fitter on a rmc plant, very talented man, built he's own broad beam canal boat, made a cello from scratch, a 4 year course, he done it in 18months whilst batching concrete, and keeping a busy plant going, and an acre allotment on site that fed us all, come from the fens! 

Interesting story me olde,

I would luv to live on a canal boat but at 6ft 5 i would struggle lol

7 hours ago, Greyman said:

4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie the kids nursery rhyme was originally referring to rooks so it’s not new, an old mate of mine that used to live on a canal boat would always moor up underneath the rookeries in spring and shoot and eat the branchers amongst anything else that flew or swan to close to his boat ??

Very true my friend, as a one of no harm would be done. I wouldnt fancy eating them on a regular basis lol

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Greyman said:

The black birds were black birds and not rooks,i have on my lap a cook book from 1949 and it contains 4 recipes for Blackbirds including Blackbird pie :victory:.The book has recipes for Thrushes,starlings,Larks,,Wheaters coots,Moorhens,cormorants,culews and even seagulls,ok it was printed just after the war but folk must have been eating them anyway or at least have had old family members that ate them so it didn't seem such odd things to be eating.:hmm:

• Like 2

This is the one I,m attempting to buy if my mortgage is sorted before someone else buys it 6”8 internal headroom there is quite a bit under the water making them appear smaller but they are all around 6 and a half foot internally ??

9CACCA0E-95AA-404D-9330-E24F6D5C258F.png

• Like 3
9 hours ago, fireman said:

The black birds were black birds and not rooks,i have on my lap a cook book from 1949 and it contains 4 recipes for Blackbirds including Blackbird pie :victory:.The book has recipes for Thrushes,starlings,Larks,,Wheaters coots,Moorhens,cormorants,culews and even seagulls,ok it was printed just after the war but folk must have been eating them anyway or at least have had old family members that ate them so it didn't seem such odd things to be eating.:hmm:

I used to no a farmer back in my youth that would take a catty with a pouch full of bb shot out and when we had starlings in huge flocks he would shoot into a flock bring a couple down pick them up and say that’s tea sorted think deep fried goldfinch,s are still a black market delicacy abroad so yes if it’s made of meat why not ✌️

• Like 2