Night vision

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just another thing to be confiscated by the law..... ?

Think I paid 1900 for mine from game fair year before last mate. I know it’s a lot of money but keeps you safe that was my main objective

what ever happened to field craft silly c**ts on the rifles have nv round here wiping everything out hares fox deer they dont stand a chance f***ing wasters 

Posted Images

On 20/09/2019 at 18:25, fazza123 said:

I cant decide about the Key 30 model, there £1260 which is quite a bit cheaper but dont have the record and photo features which I'd never use anyway. I'm pretty sure that would be good enough for me but be nice to speak to someone who's used both first.

Of the three axion models, the ‘key’ version has a different, smaller display. This means your eyes will have to work harder to view the image and identify what you’re looking at won’t be as easy as the xm30. For that reason alone I decided to buy the xm30. It really is a great bit of kit. There are some good reviews on YouTube, comparing the three models. Worth watching before you make a choice.

• Like 1
On 30/09/2019 at 17:33, fursty said:

Of the three axion models, the ‘key’ version has a different, smaller display. This means your eyes will have to work harder to view the image and identify what you’re looking at won’t be as easy as the xm30. For that reason alone I decided to buy the xm30. It really is a great bit of kit. There are some good reviews on YouTube, comparing the three models. Worth watching before you make a choice.

Thanks for that mate. I'm going to go for the xm30 but theres none in stock for 4 weeks. Looking forward to getting out with it.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, fazza123 said:

Thanks for that mate. I'm going to go for the xm30 but theres none in stock for 4 weeks. Looking forward to getting out with it.

I guess that’s a good sign. I’m assuming you’re getting it from Blackwood Outdoors? With the H.L discount they offer it’s the best price I could find at the time I bought mine. It’s well worth waiting for.

On 30/09/2019 at 17:33, fursty said:

Why wouldn’t you go for the 38 mate ? 

Plus the 30s is out now as well with Sony HD

Edited by bunnyboiler
34 minutes ago, bunnyboiler said:

Why wouldn’t you go for the 38 mate ? 

Plus the 30s is out now as well with Sony HD

The difference between the xm30 and xm38 is the diameter of the lens. 30mm vs 38mm diameter. And the base magnification of the xm30 is 4x whereas the base mag for the xm38 is 5.5x. This means that the xm38 will give you a slightly better image than the xm30. But the price difference between the two  is about £300. I was wanting to spend as little as possible on the unit, but wasn’t prepared to accept the smaller screen of the cheapest, xm30 ‘key’ model, so I opted for the xm30. As long as the landscape allows a good view it’s amazing how far you can pick up heat signatures with the xm30, and I’m able to identify specific animals even if they are too far away for a really sharp image just by the way they move. I can then get a bit closer and confirm once the image sharpens up. I really don’t think the xm38 would offer much advantage. From what I understand the other specs are the same on the xm30 and xm38, they both record video etc but I’m not interested in that anyway.

im not an expert in thermal by any means. This is the first unit I’ve bought. I’ve used an older unit which a friend has and I prefer the xm30, I just find it easier to use. Another big plus for me is that the xm30 is so small and light. It fits in my trouser pocket easily.

Maybe if money was no object maybe I would have got the xm38, but for the extra £300 I honestly don’t see the poInt (unless perhaps you were intending to do lots of video and wanted the edge on picture quality.)

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, fursty said:

The difference between the xm30 and xm38 is the diameter of the lens. 30mm vs 38mm diameter. And the base magnification of the xm30 is 4x whereas the base mag for the xm38 is 5.5x. This means that the xm38 will give you a slightly better image than the xm30. But the price difference between the two  is about £300. I was wanting to spend as little as possible on the unit, but wasn’t prepared to accept the smaller screen of the cheapest, xm30 ‘key’ model, so I opted for the xm30. As long as the landscape allows a good view it’s amazing how far you can pick up heat signatures with the xm30, and I’m able to identify specific animals even if they are too far away for a really sharp image just by the way they move. I can then get a bit closer and confirm once the image sharpens up. I really don’t think the xm38 would offer much advantage. From what I understand the other specs are the same on the xm30 and xm38, they both record video etc but I’m not interested in that anyway.

im not an expert in thermal by any means. This is the first unit I’ve bought. I’ve used an older unit which a friend has and I prefer the xm30, I just find it easier to use. Another big plus for me is that the xm30 is so small and light. It fits in my trouser pocket easily.

Maybe if money was no object maybe I would have got the xm38, but for the extra £300 I honestly don’t see the poInt (unless perhaps you were intending to do lots of video and wanted the edge on picture quality.)

Slightly better means a lot with thermal imaging I’ve looked through the pulsar 28 38 50 and there’s a massive difference between the three mate 

47 minutes ago, bunnyboiler said:

Slightly better means a lot with thermal imaging I’ve looked through the pulsar 28 38 50 and there’s a massive difference between the three mate 

Have you compared the xm30 and xm38?

Edited by fursty
22 minutes ago, fursty said:

Have you compared the xm30 and xm38?

No mate but I’ve compared the xp28 to the xp38 and it was like looking at a black and white tv ? against HD then I’ve looked through the xp38 and the xp50 and it was like HD against 4K 

• Like 1
Just now, bunnyboiler said:

No mate but I’ve compared the xp28 to the xp38 and it was like looking at a black and white tv ? against HD then I’ve looked through the xp38 and the xp50 and it was like HD against 4K 

I’ve no experience of those units. I take your word for it, and looking at the prices I am sure there are big differences. I was just replying to a question about the Axion series, not the XP series which I know nothing about. 

Which one have you bought, or intending to buy out of interest? There are different reasons people buy thermal. Someone doing a bit of foxing will need something different to someone who is involved with search and rescue operations for instance. I made my choice based on my needs and the Axion XM30 suits me and my budget.

3 minutes ago, fursty said:

I’ve no experience of those units. I take your word for it, and looking at the prices I am sure there are big differences. I was just replying to a question about the Axion series, not the XP series which I know nothing about. 

Which one have you bought, or intending to buy out of interest? There are different reasons people buy thermal. Someone doing a bit of foxing will need something different to someone who is involved with search and rescue operations for instance. I made my choice based on my needs and the Axion XM30 suits me and my budget.

Ive been using the  xp50 for three years now and recently brought the pulsar accolade xp50 with the laser range finder  Bino’s more than adequate for what I need them for but if I was to buy another small one for mooching I’d go for the axion 38 after looking through one at the midland game fair mate atb B.B. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, bunnyboiler said:

Strange that mate I wonder if they’re having trouble shifting the 30 and are holding back on the 38 and dropping the price on the 30 to shift them could try and pm Ian Blackwood on here he’s pretty clued up on these things 

You could be right there mate. Youd of thought theyd of made a 38s if they're going to do a 30s.

I'd prefer to get one off Ian but unfortunately he doesn't do finance, uttings it's only 110 quid more over 2 years which isnt too bad. I'll ring them tomorrow and see what the crack is.

• Like 1