Night vision??

Cooty and Dave, those are very kind offers, much appreciated.

I will decline incase I damaged one but very touched gents.

I understand the quality issue but let's be clear I don't want to see it's whiskers at range. I just want to identify it, keep a tab on it location and move closer. I don't want to shoot via it really just get closer and take the shot conventionally.

Is this feasible?

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s a weird and wonderful world sd.... apparently when we leave the eu arseholes are going onto the GL so the tossers need to watch out  

£20.00 ?

I,ve never been on a marsh at 45 degrees before Si, and after 6 hours following a Welsh hill farmer round know the true meaning of tired and then some .Tussock grass,Mires ,unused tree holes ,gulleys

Posted Images

1 minute ago, David.evans said:

Your right BC

i put the Solaris srx with mine and the distance is a lot more 

but even with the built in ir I can see 200 on 3x 

atb 

So you could move in on a fox without flashing a red or amber torch?

14 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

So you could move in on a fox without flashing a red or amber torch?

Not quite, i/r in the 850nm spectrum gives off a red glow and the more powerful led's give off even more of a glow. 940nm is invisible but the range is dramatically reduced, so much so that it renders it useless for your application. The most covert would be to use a modern 500mw laser i/r as the signature given off these is so slight a fox will not notice it. However you must think about what you are doing with one as they are very dangerous for the eyes. You must not look into one directly and take care you aren't shining it at something close quarters that will reflect the light back at you (remember you cannot see the light with the naked eye). 

Edited by ianm
36 minutes ago, ianm said:

Not quite, i/r in the 850nm spectrum gives off a red glow and the more powerful led's give off even more of a glow. 940nm is invisible but the range is dramatically reduced, so much so that it renders it useless for your application. The most covert would be to use a modern 500mw laser i/r as the signature given off these is so slight a fox will not notice it. However you must think about what you are doing with one as they are very dangerous for the eyes. You must not look into one directly and take care you aren't shining it at something close quarters that will reflect the light back at you (remember you cannot see the light with the naked eye). 

Stuff that, my eyes are failing without any help from a laser!

Covert! I fully intend to give a fox the biggest shock of its life!

Surely a dull red IR emitter is less intrusive than a bright normal light?

I may be accused of over simplifying things buddy but.......

3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Stuff that, my eyes are failing without any help from a laser!

Covert! I fully intend to give a fox the biggest shock of its life!

Surely a dull red IR emitter is less intrusive than a bright normal light?

I may be accused of over simplifying things buddy but.......

Led i/r is not dull red and the more powerful ones which are more like 810nm certainly aren't covert. 

What i am trying to say is if your fox is lamp shy it will "foxtrot oscar" as soon as it see's a led i/r.

If you are dealing with lamp shy foxes a spotter equiped with a led i/r may well not give you the advantage you think it will. Been there done that!

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ianm said:

Led i/r is not dull red and the more powerful ones which are more like 810nm certainly aren't covert. 

What i am trying to say is if your fox is lamp shy it will "foxtrot oscar" as soon as it see's a led i/r.

If you are dealing with lamp shy foxes a spotter equiped with a led i/r may well not give you the advantage you think it will. Been there done that!

Ok, think I understand.

So is a normal IR led as bright as my red led torch ?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, David.evans said:

No 

Thought so Dave.

I'm only looking for/considering an alternative method to how I approach fox's observed in the field. I'm thinking ahead and possibly using a shotgun more often. So a called in but hesitant wise old fox won't be subject to bright light. So may just come in.

I understand shooting them at long range by my siblings but I don't do that anymore ?

Rabbits rats and foxes all catch on to the ir glow sd... I’ve been using mine as a spotter so once I clock one I cover the ir up with me hand an go into sneak mode and finish them off with the lamp!

this is why the lads that can afford thermal use them?

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, si brown said:

Rabbits rats and foxes all catch on to the ir glow sd... I’ve been using mine as a spotter so once I clock one I cover the ir up with me hand an go into sneak mode and finish them off with the lamp!

this is why the lads that can afford thermal use them?

Ah, that's exactly what I was thinking of, excellent ?