I only used about a quarter of the file for the gut hook knife so I decided to use the rest to make a small axe. So I folded it over and forge welded it ... I’m going to grind an edge on it and leave the rest as a rough look so pretty much as it is .....

45162A78-FA06-4F9A-A397-211BE2A95B94.jpeg

F9F6C717-EA8E-4B5C-8D90-3A62033B7BC5.jpeg

• Like 6

Saw this film about Emmerson Stevens a traditional US axe maker in the sixties. Bet they were deaf as posts with those trip hammers. I expect that is also how the early mass produced British ones were made. Most of those old Brades, Elwell and Whitehouse axes are probably waiting in garden sheds around the country for new handles and a sharpen:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Saw this film about Emmerson Stevens a traditional US axe maker in the sixties. Bet they were deaf as posts with those trip hammers. I expect that is also how the early mass produced British ones were made. Most of those old Brades, Elwell and Whitehouse axes are probably waiting in garden sheds around the country for new handles and a sharpen:

great little film , looked bloody dangerous though lol , got to concentrate  100%  or bust hand , the end result   is brill  , like to see how they make them to day .?

On 06/08/2019 at 15:23, bird said:

nice that ken , what will you use it for ,?  be used when out ferreting   tapping in pegs etc in winter ,just handy tool to have about you  when outside.

My missus has nicked it for gardening lol .....

39 minutes ago, socks said:

I’m starting to get the hang of it ? .......

Looks handy that ,,,,,There a decent video on YouTube mate of the backyard bowyer making a tomahawk head from an old file ,it’s worth a watch if you haven’t already seen it mate , 

I haven’t seen that I will give it a watch ... after doing the small axe my plan is to do a double headed tomahawk .... I’ve got 2 farrier files left so sometime in the future I will try and make one ? ........