Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Got a howa 243 what bullets do people use in there's as I'm using Remington 105 grains and can't gets decent grouping at all any advice appreciated thanks

Edited by jasper08
Miss spellung

Share this post


Link to post

That very much depends what you are shooting, at the minute for fox through a tikka t3x lite I’m using sako 70g and they group very well, they are not the cheapest but the few extra quid is worth it for the confidence of knowing it’s going to hit hard and where you want it 👍

4CA26053-CE65-41C9-94B1-8D2C52E8388E.jpeg

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

As Stavross above.

My .243 is a T3 Hunter and is not a great fan of the 100g, but gets on well with even cheap PRVI 90g SP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Stavross said:

That very much depends what you are shooting, at the minute for fox through a tikka t3x lite I’m using sako 70g and they group very well, they are not the cheapest but the few extra quid is worth it for the confidence of knowing it’s going to hit hard and where you want it 👍

4CA26053-CE65-41C9-94B1-8D2C52E8388E.jpeg

Like you say Stavross, it’s worth it if you know it’s going to give you the edge. £1.77 per fox is money well spent, no doubt about that 😁👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Probably won't stabalize the heavy bullets in your barrel. Try lighter loads 

Share this post


Link to post

243 was originally developed for bullets around 80grns.

That coupled with modern bullets being longer than they use to be oncr into the 100 GRN or more bullets and the standard twist will struggle.

I use to have to really push loads over max listings to just get them under 1"@100.

60-80grn bullets and I usually got good accuracy with my eyes shut!

The UK's love affair with 6mm 100grn bullets stems primarily from Scottish deer shooting law. Experts again!

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

To be honest my .243 is primarily deer and the 90g SP works just fine for me.

I have used the Hornady 58g V-Max and it is superb in mine, but better suited for fox, and I don't need to take many fox with my .243! :thumbs:

Anyway, the .243 is not really a target round so its just a matter of what the OP actually wants to shoot with his!   Nothing wrong with the Howa, so just a matter of matching ammo with barrel/quarry!

As a few have mentioned, just try a few lighter rounds!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just my opinion, but for the roe I’d give some 90 grain SP’s a go to see how they group, for the muntjac I’d use a catapult 😁 ( by the way I’ve never shot muntjac or even seen one but I believe they are not much bigger than the hares we get up here 👍

let us know how you get on

Share this post


Link to post

I load Sierra 85gn hp in my 243. Roe and fox are main targets which these perform perfect in my 404

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 17:16, Stavross said:

Just my opinion, but for the roe I’d give some 90 grain SP’s a go to see how they group, for the muntjac I’d use a catapult 😁 ( by the way I’ve never shot muntjac or even seen one but I believe they are not much bigger than the hares we get up here 👍

let us know how you get on

:laugh: You have some big Hares! 

The Muntjac is by far the most destructive deer in the country weight for weight, but in my view the tastiest!

:thumbs:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Deker said:

:laugh: You have some big Hares! 

The Muntjac is by far the most destructive deer in the country weight for weight, but in my view the tastiest!

:thumbs:

Yeah, the hares we get up here are massive 😁

i would of thought it’s only a matter of time before they move up country, a mate of mine down in Lincolnshire ( robin foxer off YouTube) is over run with them, they don’t seem to have crossed the Humber yet but hopefully in time they will make it up to north Yorkshire 👍

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Stavross said:

Yeah, the hares we get up here are massive 😁

i would of thought it’s only a matter of time before they move up country, a mate of mine down in Lincolnshire ( robin foxer off YouTube) is over run with them, they don’t seem to have crossed the Humber yet but hopefully in time they will make it up to north Yorkshire 👍

I don't want to take this off topic, and I get why you want some Muntjac, but really you don't....they are a menace!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×