Into the Wild ..Chris McCandless

5 hours ago, socks said:

In this country a dog is in a way a hinderance if your wild camping ... whilst it’s great for company and maybe catching the odd bit of game in reality it’s one more thing to look after and worry about and feed ... if your going with the bare staples rice nuts etc and hunting fishing for your food then you’ve got to share that with a dog or carry food for your dog. 

That's a fair one. Hounds for grounds and all that. Different laws, fauna, and terrain too. Having a dog that can detect a mountain lion is a real piece of mind, here. So's carrying a Glock! :laugh:

1 hour ago, PMul said:

Depending on your dog, put a pack in him and let him carry his own food. 

Maybe some of your stuff to. 

If im hiking, my dogs carry a lot of my stuff. 

I"ve got rescue dogs but they all pack their own food and water. I've got two that roam freely without worry but the other two are kept on a lead and staked out when we're stopped. They take a few trips getting used to it but it's been worth it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Step one;  crap pants.  Step two; point gun.  Step three; make noise.  Step four; bear makes decision.  Step five; (if I’ve survived step four) shoot dogs for letting him that clos

Ok.  Ive had a lot of experience with bears(at least my dogs have) so I don’t worry to much.  Ive never crossed pathes with a true “ predator bear (or I wouldn’t be writing this) but some ar

Gone anytime from over night to two weeks.  Landscape is bush or forest as you guys would call it. Looking out of my front window is straight bush for ever until you hit the NWT.  Nope, I’m

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

That's a fair one. Hounds for grounds and all that. Different laws, fauna, and terrain too. Having a dog that can detect a mountain lion is a real piece of mind, here. So's carrying a Glock! :laugh:

I"ve got rescue dogs but they all pack their own food and water. I've got two that roam freely without worry but the other two are kept on a lead and staked out when we're stopped. They take a few trips getting used to it but it's been worth it.

My two males are kept leashed for the first 10 minutes or so when they are packing. 

Also, I don’t let them pack anything I’m not prepared to lose. 

They got on a moose chase once (b*****ds) and somewhere out there is a sil tarp and a jet boil that I’ll never see again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 24/02/2019 at 09:43, JDHUNTING said:

Watch the Timothy Treadwell film he's a proper loon the biggest grizzlys in the world charging him and he runs straight at them unarmed and sees them off

Where can i find this ive looked on Netflix but its not on there.

2 hours ago, socks said:

Step one;  crap pants. 

Step two; point gun. 

Step three; make noise. 

Step four; bear makes decision. 

Step five; (if I’ve survived step four) shoot dogs for letting him that close. 

Step six; make coffee, wait for trembling to stop. 

Step seven; clean problem caused at step one. 

• Haha 5
13 minutes ago, PMul said:

Step one;  crap pants. 

Step two; point gun. 

Step three; make noise. 

Step four; bear makes decision. 

Step five; (if I’ve survived step four) shoot dogs for letting him that close. 

Step six; make coffee, wait for trembling to stop. 

Step seven; clean problem caused at step one. 

???

20 hours ago, PMul said:

My two males are kept leashed for the first 10 minutes or so when they are packing. 

Also, I don’t let them pack anything I’m not prepared to lose. 

They got on a moose chase once (b*****ds) and somewhere out there is a sil tarp and a jet boil that I’ll never see again. 

+1 on the Jetboil. I used to let them carry extras but I stick to their food and water only now. One of mine managed to put a herd of mule deer up and the ensuing chase saw his pack destroyed in the sage brush and all his food, water, FAK, and my new MiniMo and Mountain House classics gone! He doesn't get to roam now! Saying that it's part of the learning curve. Not putting all the eggs in one basket and all that! :thumbs: