Out on the bunnies

philpot

My pal and I went on the new perm last night to get a few rabbits but in all honesty they were very thin on the ground and the ones we got were all at extreme distance. This new perm needs some time spending there to note good ambush points because the ground is open and street lights behind you cast some very long shadows. Hmm brain to be put into gear.

This perm is basically two large fields with a tree filled and grass covered quarry in between which we also have and is approx five acres. We walked back onto the road and into the next field and slowly walked up the side of the quarry, well the noise of pigeon's wings got louder and louder which clearly must have been a few hundred birds on the move. The first chance we get, we are going to put up a hide with a roof down in the quarry in order to get the birds as they come in to roost. 

It would have been good to shoot them with the shotguns as they fly in but this little perm is very close to houses so that is a no no but I am really looking forward to using the sub 12 110k as they are mouse fart quiet and hope there will be little disturbance from the gun. 

Plenty of time for the rabbits (which is the reason we were asked to shoot there) when the ground is not quite so wet and lets face it they don't really like getting those little white paws dirty so pigeons it is.

Phil

• Like 7

JSB Exact RS pellets but to be honest I have done no pellet testing which is not !old me at all because I love working my way through them all to see what is producing the best groups. I found these were the best pellets in my .22 Wildcat by a mile so tried them and they were superb in the 110K as well. 

February is a  rap month weather size so I will be slinging lead down the range testing pellets but they will have to be bloody good to improve on the RS.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, j j m said:

always nice to get new land phil

The smallest perm by a long way but possibly the highest density of rabbits and if these pigeon roost there most of the time, it will a little cracker then home in 5mins. Perfik

Phil

Last night we met up with the land owner of this new little perm and took him out with us. My buddy took one field and myself and the land owner, the other. Very little about and all at distance, the first dropped at 82mt, the second at 41mt and the third at 69mt.

Long shadows from street lights really make stalking tricky to say the least and perhaps because of age, I am not sitting on cold ground although I just bought a shooting cushion, the type you fill with polystyrene balls so maybe I will sit it out in future.

The wind got up after half an hour making the shots harder but my pal also picked up three rabbits as well so the land owner went home with five rabbits as I lost one but picked out a pigeon just as we got to the site so he went home a happy chappie.

I must confess neither of us really wanted to take the owner out but reading between the lines, as well as taking home some rabbits, I think he also wanted to see how we conduct ourselves to which I think we did ok.

This place is going to be superb as the nights get lighter during late spring and summer, pity neither of us eat rabbit.

Phil

• Like 1
On 13/02/2019 at 11:20, philpot said:

Last night we met up with the land owner of this new little perm and took him out with us. My buddy took one field and myself and the land owner, the other. Very little about and all at distance, the first dropped at 82mt, the second at 41mt and the third at 69mt.

Long shadows from street lights really make stalking tricky to say the least and perhaps because of age, I am not sitting on cold ground although I just bought a shooting cushion, the type you fill with polystyrene balls so maybe I will sit it out in future.

The wind got up after half an hour making the shots harder but my pal also picked up three rabbits as well so the land owner went home with five rabbits as I lost one but picked out a pigeon just as we got to the site so he went home a happy chappie.

I must confess neither of us really wanted to take the owner out but reading between the lines, as well as taking home some rabbits, I think he also wanted to see how we conduct ourselves to which I think we did ok.

This place is going to be superb as the nights get lighter during late spring and summer, pity neither of us eat rabbit.

Phil

Like Punch and Judy said...

thats the way to do it?

He knows your sensible now and can drop the bunnies... winner ?

• Like 1