Plummer terrier

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Bill bulldog said:

You keep them busy Keith there A credit to you mate

Aye Bill my dogs are kept buisy. There worked week in week out and all year round if possible. There's still a lot of lads, lads I know personally that work there Plummers regularly and legally above and below. Atb Keith J.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, keith j said:

My two above , mother and daughter.  Rob"Wirral country man "still works a few Plummer terriers, he has the litter brother to mine "wilf". Rob is a very knowledgeable man. Don your youngin dog is looking in great shape.  Atb Keith J. DSC_0073_2.jpg.595b0559d6ddab9eea2012e37bcebd1f.jpg

They are belters. How much would I pay for one of these. I live in London near a massive park and on days off work I love getting out of town. Would love to do some proper ratting. Can these dogs live without constant work though?

Like the Russell's of the world now a plummer that grafts below ground is the exception rather then the rule. I had a nice looking dog. Strong enough and would get you by with fox work but he was inconsistent and average at best. If your wanting something to Bush the hedges and rat with. And maybe bolt the odd fox then they are grand little dogs. 

But make no mistake it won't do anything your average Russel won't do. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, keith j said:

My two above , mother and daughter.  Rob"Wirral country man "still works a few Plummer terriers, he has the litter brother to mine "wilf". Rob is a very knowledgeable man. Don your youngin dog is looking in great shape.  Atb Keith J. DSC_0073_2.jpg.595b0559d6ddab9eea2012e37bcebd1f.jpg

Nice to hear he,s still about working his dogs , tidy looking pair there keith 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cargol said:

Like the Russell's of the world now a plummer that grafts below ground is the exception rather then the rule. I had a nice looking dog. Strong enough and would get you by with fox work but he was inconsistent and average at best. If your wanting something to Bush the hedges and rat with. And maybe bolt the odd fox then they are grand little dogs. 

But make no mistake it won't do anything your average Russel won't do. 

A sweeping statement from experience of one dog. 

• Like 1

Not at all Bill. Between myself and some lads at the time I had a few dogs in to try out on the ground work side of things and none of them impressed me. I had several of the lads that were meant to have good dogs at the time for days out and again none of them impressed me. Like I said they will get you by. And suit most lads that are only out once a week bushing a few hedges. 

Iv never slagged the breed off but I know full well that dog I had has gone over several bitches and no doubt been hailed as an amazing earth dog by the plummer fanatics. 

The truth is Bill he was average at best. 

Have you got any plummers now Bill? Because last I spoke to you you hadn't. 

Iv no doubt there is some out there that will graft. But as I said they are the exception. Rather then the rule. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Cargol said:

Iv no doubt there is some out there that will graft. But as I said they are the exception. Rather then the rule. 

The same can be said of every breed of working dog mate let alone terriers,if it were that easy every one would have a winner and jackers would be something we call crackers with jam on..I do get what you mean though but it's that's what most folk get them for and the dogs themselves don't get a chance to widen their horizon's but those that do do find there can be more to them than just bushing and ratting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Cargol said:

Not at all Bill. Between myself and some lads at the time I had a few dogs in to try out on the ground work side of things and none of them impressed me. I had several of the lads that were meant to have good dogs at the time for days out and again none of them impressed me. Like I said they will get you by. And suit most lads that are only out once a week bushing a few hedges. 

Iv never slagged the breed off but I know full well that dog I had has gone over several bitches and no doubt been hailed as an amazing earth dog by the plummer fanatics. 

The truth is Bill he was average at best. 

Have you got any plummers now Bill? Because last I spoke to you you hadn't. 

No mate, I don't keep terriers now. If I'd kept them on, I would have outcrossed, probably more than once. I know what you're saying, most are kept as general purpose dogs, but the good ones I've seen have been superb in the ground, some a bit on the hard side tbh. As fireman said, good and bad in all types.

• Like 4

I'm not totaly sure when it was done l think maybe the 90's and a bull was used,she had a bit of farmer boy and scotsman blood in her but was a pet and was untried,the real deal he wanted to use he wasn't allowed to use.Have a search of Legion bred dogs and that was the kennel that plummer used when he outcrossed, but again there's pures as such that are very much equal in every way build wise and it the outcross caused the hassle it did within the breed as many thought it wasn't needed..

• Like 2