New gun, sort of...

Almost 55 years ago some friends of my parents, who I called aunty and uncle, bought for me my first gun and I suspect it may have been the first gun for some of you guys of a more mature age, shall we say. The gun in question was a Gat spring powered air pistol. Yesterday when I met up with my shooting partner to visit a landowner, he asked if I had ever heard of them and when I told him it was my first ever gun, he grinned and say there you go then handing a mint black Gat. I was well pleased as I have not seen one for God knows how many years.

When I got home I grabbed some .177 pellets and let a few off in The garden. My life the trigger, when cocked was so difficult to press, I used two fingers to apply enough pressure to actually fire the bloody the gun, oh well I may never hit anything with it because of the trigger but I am simply chuffed to own one again.

I must tell you about an instance at my aunt and uncle's house when when a boy my uncle said I will give you half a crown for every starling you can shoot. For the younger members of this forum, half a crown was 2 shillings and sixpence or in modern money 22.5pence but in those days half a crown was my pocket money so well worth having.

After chucking bits of bread for thebirds, I bid behind the dustbin about 20' away and over the next couple of hours I actually shot 6 starlings to the sheer amazement of my uncle but nevertheless he gave me the grand total of 15 shillings, riches beyond belief.......

Phil

• Like 4

As a child I was given a HW35 .22 with open sites by a relative, you know the one that would give you pen knives and shit .At weekends I would visit a wood waiting for pigeons to come in.Never got one  for months then one evening I heard a cock pheasant calling.I managed to stalk it and dispatched it with a perfect head shot.I remember thinking to the teachers at school that said I would never achieve anything, haha f**k you all I thought.Best days were as a kid.

• Like 2

I love seeing this. I Baught my gat from Henry kranks in the mid 1990,'s i remember it was £12.50 it took ages to save up for.  I made a range in my dad's garage. I swear you could have shoveled the lead up at the back of the garage and weighed it in. Had years of fun in there popping tin cans. Good times!

• Like 2

I got one about 98/99 we used to shoot each other with the corks not knowing as kids i remember my older brother getting me a belter on the elbow made me drop the gun thought sack this stuck a dart in got him in the calf he didn't half sqeal then I got a g10 and he didn't wanna play anymore hahaha 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tomburras said:

I love seeing this. I Baught my gat from Henry kranks in the mid 1990,'s i remember it was £12.50 it took ages to save up for.  I made a range in my dad's garage. I swear you could have shoveled the lead up at the back of the garage and weighed it in. Had years of fun in there popping tin cans. Good times!

I had to put all my weight on pushing it into floor to cock mine was only 8 haha

• Like 1

Sorry lads the opening post was done on my tablet which has predictive text and I simply forget to check it before posting. I hate predictive text but don't know how to take the bloody thing off, must get my daughters to remove it.

I do wish I could release some of the pressure on the trigger to have some fun in the garden with it, come on you clever lads, how do I do that.

Phil

• Like 1