R.I.P....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loved the programme , sadly cant see it back on the telly unless they find an episode that wont offend the delicate snowflakes which will be hard RIP

Windsor Davies R.I.P (Cant believe I beat the grim reaper).

I used to love this as a kid R.I.P Mr Davies sir.  

Posted Images

15 hours ago, TOMO said:

my granddad as well...he was in tanks in Burma.....

12 hours ago, mackem said:

Must have been horrendous conditions mate 100% humidity and 35+ degrees heat sweating buckets.

9 hours ago, TOMO said:

he never much talked about it....but that generation didn't did they......theres only a few bits I know....and of course none of it was about battle or killing other soldiers ...

he told me when he went in in 1939 right at the start...he was 12 stone.....when he came out in 45 after vj day....he was 7 stone....he was never captured or anything....just when they were fighting in the jungles of Burma....they rarely got supplies , planes  would drop them but never on target....and when they rolled in to some village they couldn't eat or drink anything cos the japs poisoned everything whilst reatreating

My dad went as a fit young bloke and came home a wreck. The conditions there affected him for the rest of his life. He had malaria, a nervous breakdown and at one time all of his hair fell out !!  The food that they did manage to retrieve out of the irawadi river was a pallet of tins of sardines !  He said that they must have been left out on the dock in Rangoon exposed to the Sun because the tins had blown up like football's. The contents were absolutely rotten but the locals loved it and they traded it for chickens, fruit and rice. They ate snakes, iguanas and some sort of monkey. I think that they scrapped by on what they could find in the jungle. If you left clothes folded for more than a day they had rotted and fell to pieces and so did anything like leather watch straps ect.  One night the japs came down the river in a boat and machine gunned the camp. Bullets went through his tent and took two of the legs off his camp bed whilst he was on the bed ! The japs got attacked during a battle and those that ended up lost in the jungle were cut to pieces by the plants and some emerged out of the jungle a mass of sores and maggots. Our lads couldn't do anything for them because they didn't have anything medical wise for our own lads let alone the enemy. One time there were so many rotting bodies in the river that the bodies had formed a body log jam across the river so solid that they were able to be walked across the river like a bridge. A terrible time for anyone to experience especially a young bloke. lucky to get back alive, BUT as far as i am concerned a worse thing was that when he got home there was no support at all. Nothing. King and country didnt give any thought or care. He could have left a wife and child and been maggots and fly turds up the jungle somewhere, and he wouldnt have existed other than  a number. Look at all the casualties from the modern conflicts. They do get some help but is it enough when you've got no arms legs and eyes. What was it all for.

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1