Vasectomised hob

SamR

I know its a big ask and its very early but does anybody have a vasectomised hob that I could use for a roll about with my mates Jill. He doesn't want a litter and even if someone could take his for a few days that would be ideal. If anyone could help when the time comes that would be great. Cheers, Sam

12 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv had a few jills over the years that I ain’t took litter from, or had jab or used a snipped hob. I do believe tho that if ye done it for a few years on trott then summat may happen to jill as the hormones do go mad. 

I try an alternate me jills, either breed if ones special or I need more young, or ill not breed an get a jab from vet or use a snipped hob or even just leave me jill in season. Too much of any of them is gonna be bad so I try an alternate it, had 2 jills last year that we’re fine left in season an had em out today, ones 9 an others 5 an they done job no probs pal?

out of all ways to fetch em out season I dislike the jab most. Don’t know why exactly but it’s prob that it’s foreign, man made an not natural so that I try an use as little as possible. An always remember mate if you use a method of fetching ye fitch out season then there’s a good chance she will come back in again before end a summer so may need some twice, even if you breed a litter an it’s either early or small them chances are she will come in season again once they few weeks old or phantom wears off or jab wears off or what ever ?

hope that makes sense ?

Clear as mud mate but i got there in the end ? thanks a lot bud. Thats why i love this forum, im always learning haha

I left my jill in season for 3 years on the trot and her condition wasn't great while in season and then in the last year she died. She was about 6-7 at the time. I think mr K is onto some thing not leaving them for consecutive years 

• Like 1

I’ve had a jill die from not being mated, was in her first season and since then I’ve never chanced it. Before then I had many times left them all summer no issue but have never forgiven myself for that jill, felt I let her down. She had a cracking first winter on the rabbits as well real cracker of a ferret. 

I lost my snipped hob ,  cancer of the balls seems common in snipped hobs he was the 3rd to go that way  , but a snipped hob is the easiest way  you can leave them but your jills look rough as feck by the end of the summer as they can come into season 4/5 times in a summer , a jill jab works but the can come into season again after getting jabbed and who wants to fill there jills up with hormones ? see what it does to woman on the pill LOL ,  A snipped hobs okay and i can afford to have one as ive 12 jill ferrets here too graft ,but for somebody with a couple of jills getting a hob snipped £50 then a collar £40 and putting him down a hole he might no come back from thats  a tonne out of pocket but some folk are reluctant to loan out a hob as the can can get a SDT LOL 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, The one said:

I lost my snipped hob ,  cancer of the balls seems common in snipped hobs he was the 3rd to go that way  , but a snipped hob is the easiest way  you can leave them but your jills look rough as feck by the end of the summer as they can come into season 4/5 times in a summer , a jill jab works but the can come into season again after getting jabbed and who wants to fill there jills up with hormones ? see what it does to woman on the pill LOL ,  A snipped hobs okay and i can afford to have one as ive 12 jill ferrets here too graft ,but for somebody with a couple of jills getting a hob snipped £50 then a collar £40 and putting him down a hole he might no come back from thats  a tonne out of pocket but some folk are reluctant to loan out a hob as the can can get a SDT LOL 

I understand. You run that same risk with Gateshead lasses haha

12 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

If it has been okay with other jills what makes ye certain that’s what killed her?

It was clear that was the reason. She became anemic and took her to the vet and he confirmed it was being left in season that had caused it gave her the jill jab and some treatment for the anemia but was to late to save her, happened so quickly to just a day from being ok to being very ill and another day after she was dead. 

As the one and others have said if you leave them there condition really can go downhill over the course of a summer also. Now I use a vas hob it’s amazing they look superb all summer no hair loss or weight loss just stay in nice healthy condition all year round. I just leave the vas hob in with the jills all summer and if they come back in he does his job and takes them back out.

• Like 1

I think that is the way Bob. I felt a tight a git letting mine stay in season and felt bad when I lost her for the sake of a 13 quid jab. Just my experience so I won't leave a jill in season my self. It was never a money issue just thought it would be ok as come winter she came back to life again but not that third year. Got two hobs here so one is getting the snip soon 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

don't shoot the messenger, I saw the 3 sisters to my hob the other week born 2011, they were in fine fettle and they've never had a hob in with them or been jabbed ??

Edited by Gilbey
just to be clear, not recommending this just thought it was worth mentioning, work hobs it's far easier ?

It has been my experience that a Jill left too long in season will eventually go off their food a bit, and begin to lose weight especially if in regular work, followed down the track by other ailments directly related to hormone imbalance, I own 12 working Jills one complete hob and 1 vasectomised Hob. I was also given a Jill xmas day, I had previously bred and sold, who had been in season for quite some time and had lost a lot of condition, shame she is  well bred and a cracking worker apparently, once she puts a bit of weight and condition back on, I will see if she is all he claims. her full sister is Tilly out of Willow.

My advice is if you are not breeding them, either Jab them, or put them with a vasectomised Hob. A.T.B 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

If it has been okay with other jills what makes ye certain that’s what killed her?

There is substantial evidence backed up by scientific research, and is well documented and widely known in the ferreting community, hence the Jab was developed, and the practice of utilising a vasectomised hob is still a common practice. Nuff said

• Like 1