Wild Rabbits. Selling them to gun dog trainers etc.

Guest vin

Following on from a previous thread about the UK rabbit population decrease etc.

What's the deal with the Gun Dog trainers buying or acquiring rabbits to put in their training pens for the gundog training etc. I have no issues with this if it is done properly and the trainers are professional etc.

How much do they pay for a live rabbit these days?

And on the same subject the chaps who are trying to re-introduce populations to their own areas that have been wiped out with hunting or diseases etc... How do they get the bunnies if they ha'nt got any in the 1st place.? How much would someone expect to pay for a wild caught healthy rabbit these days?  I am certainly not talking about rabbits for the "dropped bunny" type people who want to drop it for their dog to catch because they're idiots of the lowest calibre... but for the genuinely concerned folk with no bunnies for miles around etc.

Last question for the lawyers etc.. what's the law on a pest controller giving away a live bunny to someone rather than dispatching it in the cage trap etc?

I definitely know of a few ferreters that have dropped a few bunnies local to themselves to help along their own environments etc. . . But at the end of the day, its still classed as a pest...So this is probably not allowed legally.

Food for thought chaps  

10 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Vin I was doing just that twenty five yrs ago lots a these big breeders have a large breaking pen for thee Conies to live in some a them half ta acre broken cover no warrens .atb bill

Yes, I've seen a few over the years.. . . its a controlled environment for the trainer to sort the dogs out with various situations.

8 minutes ago, white van man said:

I think moving them from one place to another is illegal. Is it not so they can break them to rabbits?

Not sure how much they would pay for them either.  The only way they can be getting hold of them is live traps or nets. 

I've heard of trainers travelling from down south to pick up hundreds of drop boxed rabbits in the past few years. . . I heard they sell them onto other trainers for over £10 per bunny. Facebook is full of tales from far and wide.

8 minutes ago, vin said:

Yes, I've seen a few over the years.. . . its a controlled environment for the trainer to sort the dogs out with various situations.

I've heard of trainers travelling from down south to pick up hundreds of drop boxed rabbits in the past few years. . . I heard they sell them onto other trainers for over £10 per bunny. Facebook is full of tales from far and wide.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Both ends of the deal could get into trouble for moving them I reckon. Advertising the fact on FB or the internet probably isn’t the best idea! 

Its a world gone mad these days..facebook is the ruination of all things that should be kept private.

I've been offered daft money for live bunnies in the past.... not off gundog trainers or fellow hunters.... but off them chaps that like goat meat,But hate pork..........  no way. not a fekking chance.

1 hour ago, vin said:

Following on from a previous thread about the UK rabbit population decrease etc.

What's the deal with the Gun Dog trainers buying or acquiring rabbits to put in their training pens for the gundog training etc. I have no issues with this if it is done properly and the trainers are professional etc.

And on the same subject the chaps who are trying to re-introduce populations to their own areas that have been wiped out with hunting or diseases etc... How do they get the bunnies if they ha'nt got any in the 1st place.? How much would someone expect to pay for a wild caught healthy rabbit these days?  I am certainly not talking about rabbits for the "dropped bunny" type people who want to drop it for their dog to catch because they're idiots of the lowest calibre... but for the genuinely concerned folk with no bunnies for miles around etc.

Last question for the lawyers etc.. what's the law on a pest controller giving away a live bunny to someone rather than dispatching it in the cage trap etc?

I definitely know of a few ferreters that have dropped a few bunnies local to themselves to help along their own environments etc. . . But at the end of the day, its still classed as a pest...So this is probably not allowed legally.

Food for thought chaps  

The best place I’ve found for answers to legal questions regarding shooting trapping etc is the NGO national gamekeepers organisation,when I was a member they had legal expert who you could ring directly who was very good much better than being a BASC member.regards rabbits for training pens I would want them for nothing or I would give them for nothing.ive never used a pen for training dogs I’ve always used pet rabbits for me they work much better.i dare bet if you release a wild rabbits from one area to an other you would be breaking the law just the same as if you catch magpies in a Larsen trap it’s against the law to release them again or for the general public to release caught magpies from Larsen traps which does happen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vin said:

Its a world gone mad these days..facebook is the ruination of all things that should be kept private.

I've been offered daft money for live bunnies in the past.... not off gundog trainers or fellow hunters.... but off them chaps that like goat meat,But hate pork..........  no way. not a fekking chance.

Yet to have a FB account! What they would want with live rabbits I don’t know. I get it with the gun dog trainers but wouldn’t be part of it myself. I don’t take great numbers anyway. 

the greyhound industry over here many years ago were in the market for live rabbits ,as many as you could supply ,and at a tenner a rabbit,there was a decent wage to be made from it if you went at it seriously ,,,there were one or two chaps that earned as much and some weeks more than a working tradesman ,,,never heard of gundog trainers looking to buy them ,

6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I could earn half decent money selling live rabbits, but summat jist don’t feel right about it so I chin em an take a quid ☹️ But atleast I know I killed it straight out an done right thing.

just to add I wouldn’t shoot somebody down for doing it, but it’s summat I want no part in?

Make no bones about it sold them live ,Neva gave it a second thought I feel if one worries to much how or what they doing with them ,,that's there buzz coin when it's tight one producers the best price on offer ,and for what's it's worth this fecking halal thing well I ain't no fecking muslin but we being killed chickens da yrs chop the fecking heads off hang up let em bread out .just that's the way we even bred rabbits da table at one time they got culled in yard hung ta cool then dressed out fa it's normal I feel if ones worrying to much about numbers out there leave it off a season or two or.keep just the one fa variety of flesh  fa ones own table.atb bill

22 hours ago, vin said:

Food for thought chaps  

I believe a person dropping rabbits etc , are in the sights of the animal abandonment act 1960 . Now if it's on a land owners permission and you have opened up old burys etc then I believe you can argue it's for the good of the existing population