saluki read

I must say I did not read all the article, I don't have the stamina for it, but several points hit home, I have never before seen it written that crusaders brought salukis back, but thought they must have, how could they resist, also his description of the way the champion coursing saluki ran, was very like the way the best coursing dogs we have run, also over the years I as I am sure allot of people have noticed that some dogs genuinely do spot stuff at incredible distances, that others don't see, it would be great to see what someone like him would make of our line bred stuff witch after all has been bred for function over form, and yet are very good looking dogs, at the time of the crusades England would not rely be a suitable place to run a saluki, so likely they would be lost very quickly into the melting pot that were loosely called greyhounds in those days.

Edited by two crows
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, two crows said:

I must say I did not read all the article, I don't have the stamina for it, but several points hit home, I have never before seen it written that crusaders brought salukis back, but thought they must have, how could they resist, also his description of the way the champion coursing saluki ran, was very like the way the best coursing dogs we have run, also over the years I as I am sure allot of people have noticed that some dogs genuinely do spot stuff at incredible distances, that others don't see, it would be great to see what someone like him would make of our line bred stuff witch after all has been bred for function over form, and yet are very good looking dogs, at the time of the crusades England would not rely be a suitable place to run a saluki, so likely they would be lost very quickly into the melting pot that were loosely called greyhounds in those days.

there's paintings with saluki type dogs in them so they must have, and later ones that are clearly salukis long before the first official ones

Edited by Gilbey
On 14/10/2018 at 18:27, jigsaw said:

http://saluqi.home.netcom.com/belkin.htm

probably been on before but an interesting read

On 15/10/2018 at 08:02, skycat said:

Seldom has anyone written so succinctly or accurately about any type of dog. I would have loved to meet Dan Belkin. What a brain and an eye he must have had.

Yes, read that a couple of years ago, and I mentioned that the crusaders brought salukis back with them in a thread started by sandymere I think, or a thread in which he was posting? Like you say skycat, dan belkin must've been an incredibly astute fella