.22 Air Bullets: Any Good?

Let’s ‘av a laugh and find out. 

Just having a rustle through some of my accumulated .22’s and thought about putting a few of these air bullets to the test. I also found some H&N round ball .22’s, so gave them a try as well. With standard type air gun pellets, my little contour usually runs around the 11ft lb mark. All these that I tested today were well down on that figure though. Over the chrono the h&n rabbit magnum 2 at 24.5 grains averaged 363.2 fps (7.17ft lb). Rabbit magnum power 25.8 grain averaged 350fps (7.01ft lb). Eley magnum 30.3 grain averaged 282.1fps (5.35ft lb). Rangemaster monster 25.5 grain averaged 400fps (9.06ft lb. h&n rundkugeln 15.0 grain averaged 504.4fps (8.47ft lb). I set targets up at 15 yards to get an idea of the accuracy of this ammo. I didn’t expect much, which was just as well, as they were far from great.

73A14751-85E0-4256-A854-0DA1D531B20D.jpeg

7EDC402C-9C64-43A6-99DB-75A5EE172750.jpeg

2AD158C6-603E-481C-B78D-07BCD8742640.jpeg

• Like 2

Loving the look of those copper Rabbit Magnum's !

I put Bisley mags through my Ratty, at 10 - 12m ,(21 and a bit grains, if memory serves), for rats and squirrels.........heck of a thump, but now I'm wondering what destruction those little babies might bring down !

21 hours ago, Blackbriar said:

Loving the look of those copper Rabbit Magnum's !

I put Bisley mags through my Ratty, at 10 - 12m ,(21 and a bit grains, if memory serves), for rats and squirrels.........heck of a thump, but now I'm wondering what destruction those little babies might bring down !

Non at all by the looks of that group, ratty will walk clean through that pattern! :D:thumbs:

4 hours ago, Deker said:

Non at all by the looks of that group, ratty will walk clean through that pattern! :D:thumbs:

The h&n rabbit magnums were by far the worst. The other three types would likely also soon begin to open up if the range was stretched much further. Probably twenty yards would be the maximum with this ammo? They’re probably too heavy to stabilise well at these low velocities.

Messed about with piledriver pellets 177 and 22 . 177 had 2 sizes the under sized 177 shot out of PCP verminator gun at 11.5 ft lbs  no problem the correct sized 177 shot out well under power . in 22 the pile driver pellet shot out of theoben rapid 7 at 11.5 ft lbs no problem .I do wonder if that pushing the pellet into the rapid 7 with the probe may have sized the pellet before shooting . I would think the power drop you are getting is because the pellets you stated are tight in your barrel .

Chuck those pellets in the bin Jim where they belong.  :bad:

For me, the best .22 ratting pellet " by far", on close up ranges, is the 11.9 g flat headed Hobby.

30 yards and on wards the Hobby becomes more and more inaccurate, under 30 yards, superb, with a very flat trajectory.

Do you actually use that super 6 Elite Jim  :icon_redface: :laugh:  -  in public ?

Joking aside mate, fill her to just 180 bar, put Falcon Accuracy Plus through her and use the first 28 shots only as that is the sweet spot.

Accurate is not the word for these little rifles if you keep to that rule.

Good luck mate,

Mark.

1 hour ago, mark williams said:

Chuck those pellets in the bin Jim where they belong.  :bad:

For me, the best .22 ratting pellet " by far", on close up ranges, is the 11.9 g flat headed Hobby.

30 yards and on wards the Hobby becomes more and more inaccurate, under 30 yards, superb, with a very flat trajectory.

Do you actually use that super 6 Elite Jim  :icon_redface: :laugh:  -  in public ?

Joking aside mate, fill her to just 180 bar, put Falcon Accuracy Plus through her and use the first 28 shots only as that is the sweet spot.

Accurate is not the word for these little rifles if you keep to that rule.

Good luck mate,

Mark.

I normally fill it to 200 Mark, but I’ll try 180. It’s a handy little thing I reckon, shot a fair bit of vermin with it.? I usually use jsb exact in it, seems to love them.

28 minutes ago, philpot said:

I noticed that three of the tins does say FAC pellets or 18.5fpe so perhaps the performance will improve with more thrust up their rear.......

Phil

They probably are phil. They were originally bought to use in a Theoben eliminator, but they were fairly crap in that as well. I’ve also got some rabbit magnums in .177 but never tried them. I’ll give them a go in the hw100, see if they’re any good in that. I don’t have a lot of hope though to be honest.?

• Haha 1