struggling with saluki x lurcher

I think id stop lamping and focus on daytime time til you have sorted out a really strong bond and the retrieving. A few daytime sucesses help to make the two of you a team. Once its in the dogs head that you are part of the hunting rather than just the driver there is more readon to co operate

• Like 1

thanks lads for the feed back some really good tips there the dog I ran it with is my older bitch which is an out an out lamp dog she is bang on !

perhaps I am expecting to much to soon and like you say back to basics and the biggest one of all PATIENCE !?

• Like 3

To be honest about it I always found it a lot less hassle to start a lamping dog on the lamp 

your working with a blank canvas to mold how the pup interprets it’s enviroment, 

its olfactory system is connected to its motor  cortex  so a dog is strung into action through scent quicker than sight , and the history of hunting by scent is in direct contrast to running purely by sight 

whereas information by sight is based on form , a dogs  first reaction  when it spots something is to classify that form and that takes fractions of a second longer than any scent driven interest, 

From the pups point of view i want to lay down a physical history of working solely by sight with a pup before we transfer over to other work 

interested in how other lads enter lamping dogs ?always though making an impression to start as you mean to go on , a lot easier over time 

• Like 1

My bull x whippet used to do the same. I tried fit bits with no interest from her with them at all when off the lead so I ended up getting a shock collar. Used it correctly on a long line out on a walk. Shocked her with it at it minimum n she felt it but not much notice of it. Turned it up a bit til she came straight back to me then jst used it on vibrate after that for a month. Left the collar on her when we were lamping n never needed to use it.  This was last season at 3yo, had her out last night an hour and tonight n she's started retrieving her catch too. So bide your time n always praise when she does come back. My saluki x is no bother at all. Comes to 10 feet away n I have to  walk the last bit n put his slip back on. 

• Like 1

This bitch I have here albeit retired now was exactly the same only in reverse ! Excellent on the lamp. Couldn't fault her but run her in the day and it was unload the flask and sarnies and wait or just walk and keep screaming profanitys at it. 

P.S its also the last saluki x I will ever have ?

• Haha 1

Are they not trying to make shock collars illegal i know there band in wales !!! Cheers for the advice i have gone back to basics a pound of cocktail sausages every time i go she is coming back a lot smarter only time will tell lads thanks !!!!

15 minutes ago, zak123 said:

Are they not trying to make shock collars illegal i know there band in wales !!! Cheers for the advice i have gone back to basics a pound of cocktail sausages every time i go she is coming back a lot smarter only time will tell lads thanks !!!!

I use 1 mate on me terrier best thing I ever bought you get folk saying there for people that can't train a dog properly and there cruel and such like and their probably right but you can justify usen be strapping the collar to your dinkle and zapping it on the high setting

You know it makes sense

• Haha 1

I nearly considered one with my other dog but she came good probably the steadiest dog i have ever owned she is a top lamp dog she is 5 years now !!! Like i said probably expecting to much to soon early days the pup is only 14 months dont belive in entering them to early i am a patient guy cheers people thanks for the advice much appreciated ?

18 hours ago, Black neck said:

I use 1 mate on me terrier best thing I ever bought you get folk saying there for people that can't train a dog properly and there cruel and such like and their probably right but you can justify usen be strapping the collar to your dinkle and zapping it on the high setting

You know it makes sense

You're a revelation