struggling with saluki x lurcher

had my my 14month old lurcher from a pup she fetches dummies back not to bad and generally comes back quite quickly in daylight , but when you take her out at night she tours half of Britain and will not come back .I have another a lurcher which I have run her with I have also ran her on her own the same result happens she has caught a few rabbits which I must admit she does not want to fetch back any ideas ????????

1 hour ago, zak123 said:

had my my 14month old lurcher from a pup she fetches dummies back not to bad and generally comes back quite quickly in daylight , but when you take her out at night she tours half of Britain and will not come back .I have another a lurcher which I have run her with I have also ran her on her own the same result happens she has caught a few rabbits which I must admit she does not want to fetch back any ideas ????????

yeh,  1st  you fecked it up  running it with another dog , 2nd  when you took it lamping , you should have always put it  on easy rabbits,  (no) longslips , walk up to the bloody things , then drop the dog on'um . ok they all piss off with rabbits at 1st, but once the dog  suss you going to keep putting it on rabbits , it bring back , to get the next run  !!  . i not a lover of saluki xs   , but i know what they can offer any lurcher line, i would try to only have a 1/4 at  most , it a strong gene  water it down a bit, same as herding xs , bullxs  1/4 plenty in any lurcher to catch rabbits, plenty of good lurcher x lurcher  out there .

• Like 3

I went out with someone many years ago, first slip his dog missed a bunny and dog fecked off, took 45 min to get the thing back on the slip, next run it missed and flecked off again, told him I'd meet back at the motor after half hour waiting I drove home, never did see him or dog again lol. 

You got really friendly up to those saluki types well it worked for me anyways. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jackknife said:

I went out with someone many years ago, first slip his dog missed a bunny and dog fecked off, took 45 min to get the thing back on the slip, next run it missed and flecked off again, told him I'd meet back at the motor after half hour waiting I drove home, never did see him or dog again lol. 

Nice fella ??? I'm sure his skeleton and the dogs will be eventually found stuck in a ravine.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Nice fella ??? I'm sure his skeleton and the dogs will be eventually found stuck in a ravine.?

11 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Wondered why he never come round for his motor ?

Edited by Jackknife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mushroom on here is the resident saluki expert. He will show you the torture methods necessary to get the dog around to your way of thinking. His electric shock therapy blended with kicking method is fascinating. I would try feeding him titbits on recall. ( fried sausage ). Lurchers that aren't getting enough work don't like going back to motor if they think they are been brought home. Loads of short stops can make the dog think he is going to next hunting spot rather than home. One of my dogs wouldn't jump in box in motor until I started feeding her tripe through the bars. After a few days she used to bounce off the door she was that eager to get in.?

I had a same problem with a coursing bred bitch I bought in  around similar age to urs very head strong on the lamp she would hunt up if missed would not come back until she was ready to,standing in the dark waiting for your dog one minute feels like a hour when you want to be on and off the land , I gave her to a friend of mine who ran her daytime only was the same with him would hunt up if missed she settled down around after 3 years of age and turned out to be a good daytime bitch . I read something of here someone mentioned a while back about feeding your dog when out walking exercising on the land  and that’s what I did with my dog which I have now from pup every so often I would take him out with me drive somewhere walk the dog and feed him on the land , after few times all the dogs attention just would be on me know matter where we was even on strange land , he has turned out to be my most obedient dog I have ever owned lamp or daytime he’s straight back to me he will come find me if I’m out of sight he is a cousing bred dog  also .

Edited by Westyorkshire_lad

I got bull x dog bred myself doing very well but when he runs rabbits if catches em he come about 1ft  away n walk to hedge row n try bury it but run long ears he straight back  anything else he runs comes straight back but if short runs plays up  it seems like he loves a good long run but can cope with that 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jackknife said:

Fecking hell mate you waited 45mins I can already tell you have the patents of a saint 15mins waiting would of done me an I’d of been out of there

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

First mistake was gettin a saluki cross?

second mistake was keeping the cnut ???

third mistake was coming in here an asking advice????

only messing mate, dog sounds like most young dogs so wouldn’t worry too much, were you all cool calm an collected an perform to your best standards in your first few shags? I doubt it, dog jist loving havin a bit warm fluff in its gob? keep at it an all will be fine ?

Mate you crack me up love seeing your replies to stuff on here makes me chuckle 

• Haha 1

When its comes to salukis it pays to know the line i think i have a dog here who from the moment i had him i drilled recall recall recall ! To be honest one of the most obedient dogs ive had will jump stay sit and recall is spot on,out and straight back.

When it comes to the feathered fellas theres on thing to remeber patience they come good in time put the work in and make your bond without it you really wont get what you need ! This dog would not retrieve for love nor money but i put the work in with no rewards for one day 3 years later the bloody thing retrieved and not just retrieve but jump retrieve i couldnt believe may eyes.thankfully i had the lads who new the lineage who constantly said it will do it and it did.

I dont necessarily agree with bird about not running them with another dog , run the dog with the right dog a dog doing its job in out in out retrieve etc i start all my dogs this way.what you dont want to do is run it with a dog with bad habbits they dont half pick them up faster than the good ones.however i do agree with bird on you dont need much saluki in a lamping dog i think a quarter is perfect all the benefits and none of the plodding or faults which is were i think this dogs falls, your really dont need dogs that can run for 3 minutes on the lamp but more good enough stamina to last a hard night( alot of sort runs fast recovery) imo.

Work on your bond first mate thats the way forward with a saluki. Dont loose your rag and if you are going to  bluff your way out of it they will stand off you if you loose your rag. Salukis push every button they test you all the time .

Stay patient mate put the time in go back to basics and youll end up were you want. Find what makes the dog tick food ball or whatever it is and that will be the key found salukis to just like a fuss with no intrested to anything else but every dogs different.

Good luck hope you figure it out.

Ar

IMG-20160202-WA0001.jpg

• Like 3

Sometimes there’s a couple of issues involved 

this one is learnt behavior 

if a dog feels the best use of its energy is booting round a field regardless of owner,  that’s what he’ll do, though entering if he feels his movement causes rabbits to appear,  that exactly what’s going to happen 

One dog one owner, nice and fuckjng quiet, I don’t give a shit if he don’t catch as long as he feels I had something to do with a rabbit appearing, on a slip beside me give him a heads up you’ve spotted a rabbit , walk nice and calm slip when seen ,

Theres no f***ing secret in lamping, when entered right the dog believes that whatever was in place when the rabbit appeared , is what made the f****r appear , so walking beside you listening to commands  made what happened happen, its the only way it can process it 

too much emphasis on the catch rather than trying to control how a dog interprets the event , 

two dogs together is bullshit , it’s not about the catch at the start it’s getting it entered right in a social manner to build a foundation for how we mean to go on, 

the other issue is the bond, which is built through trust and time

a lot of running dogs in shelters for the very same reason bud , best of luck with it 

• Like 6