Deer Day ..!

Started the day with a call from the police about an injured deer following a rta , not far from home so all sorted in about half an hour , not home ten minutes before another call from them about a deer caught by the back leg on a fence ..this was reported to the rspca who just passed it on to the police who passed it onto me .The directions in these call outs tend to be vague to say the least but the caller did leave his number and after a call to him he agreed to come out and meet me and guide me in to it ..he was a top fella ! The deer was well and truly hooked up on a newly erected fence , with two strands of barbed wire over stock fence this will kill countless deer in the coming years .If they really need two strands of barbed they could at least leave the bottom one a bit slack or put some deer leaps in the regular crossing points ..That despatched it was back home to skin one I had in the chiller and then drop that off to the village butcher for packaging for the estate freezer ..

Stalking pal arrived , we had a quick coffee and set of back to the same seats we were in a couple of days ago , he had thirty laying in the hollow directly in front of the seat so spent the first hour unable to move or get up in the seat , I got to mine to find the same number in front of me , including a couple of prickets and a couple of sorrels that were showing the first signs of the impending rut , with no safe shot I watched them clear the field before I could get up my seat ..Eventually settled and sorted after twenty minutes Charlie walked out at 90 m , he got it ..about an hour later three doe’s and a couple of fawns came through the fence at no more than 50 m , they kept looking behind them so I was expecting more to come out and couple of minutes later a pricket joined them , but only very briefly as he folded up at just a shade over 60 m ..at last one for the chiller ..he went in at 71lb ..

7308B550-F433-47B2-8C2F-E064B2B289F2.thumb.jpeg.fbfe94925d590f76325b6127c75bf3e6.jpeg1462F291-7BD8-4EED-8887-AE918940B7B5.thumb.jpeg.8a46ad903a7aa163487612f34fba318c.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:27, Yokel Matt said:

Thank god - some activity in this section finally! 

Nice work Rich, that pricket looks like a fallows body with a roes head!

Need to get out myself... it’s been too long!

He needs to practice more with Photoshop! :laugh::thumbs:

• Haha 1