Near misses

I've been buried and it aint nice at all ,cold and very quiet, makes me shudder to think of it now .Moving bales in the past has been a big iffy especially if on your own .

I'm too old for that shit now and look for the shallowist places possible .Glad all that macho shit is behind me lol.

• Like 5

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had builders buckets and bt blue rope to get the dirt out lol, remember saying to the lads before we back filled. 'you could lose a lwb sprinter van in there?...... Funny thing was the lad put up a

Travelled to stoke few yrs back to rescue 2 young dogs that had dropped in with out collars on  for 2 members on here, dropped a Russell bitch in and got a mark at 7.2 m on railway embankment?‍♂️.....

Picture of the boulder after it collapsed. Was lucky that day.

Posted Images

I’ve been on a few real deep digs , digging into the night , but I’ve never been in a situation when I thought my number was up but I’ve been on a few that we nearly lost dogs . I will share a story that might interest you . There was an “earth” behind a house belonging to a couple Dentists who had moved into the village . They were up for retirement and loved their garden . Trouble was the occupants of this “earth” behind their house constantly did Poo in the garden and knocked over expensive pots . They stopped me as I went past one day and asked for my help . I said I would sort it out but they would have to be “out of the way for the day “ . A day was arranged and I turned up mob handed , it was a big old place !  Terrier in , not long and and it was on . Now one of the lads i invited bought one of his underkeepers with him who was a bit of a “knucklehead “ . About a meter down and there was this yellow tape and gravel  !!! I said careful that’s a water pipe !!! Yeah yeah , next thing pssss water ? gushing out like a fountain. I said you Wazzuck you’ve hit the mains to the big house . The hole started filling up with water and here in the Cotswolds it’s gravely Cotswold stone . Shit the dog will drown !!! ITrouble was the pipe was 50mm , now I carry 20mm, 25mm , 32mm for the rearing field water supply .... but I’d never even seen 50 mm . Only one way thing to do and that was to start to dig a trench to drain the water to lower ground . I left soppy bollocks who caused the problem and another lad to dig the trench while me and my mate went to find a 50mm fitting . Called a mate who works for the water board and who beats on my shoot , got a fitting off him and returned to the dig . By now a trench had been dug that would put the Panama Canal to shame , and a steady stream was now running into a ditch . Well we had the fitting and now came the time to cut the pipe and put the join on “Live” . Guess who got the job ? I couldn’t of been any wetter if I’d jumped in the lake !!!! In the meantime the mark moved and was resolved after another 1.2 hole . The dog and the “large dog fox “ we’re both soaking wet . The dog was none the worse from his subterranean soaking and we can now laugh about it , but we thought we were going to be digging a drowned terrier . 

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve been on a few real deep digs , digging into the night , but I’ve never been in a situation when I thought my number was up but I’ve been on a few that we nearly lost dogs . I will share a story that might interest you . There was an “earth” behind a house belonging to a couple Dentists who had moved into the village . They were up for retirement and loved their garden . Trouble was the occupants of this “earth” behind their house constantly did Poo in the garden and knocked over expensive pots . They stopped me as I went past one day and asked for my help . I said I would sort it out but they would have to be “out of the way for the day “ . A day was arranged and I turned up mob handed , it was a big old place !  Terrier in , not long and and it was on . Now one of the lads i invited bought one of his underkeepers with him who was a bit of a “knucklehead “ . About a meter down and there was this yellow tape and gravel  !!! I said careful that’s a water pipe !!! Yeah yeah , next thing pssss water ? gushing out like a fountain. I said you Wazzuck you’ve hit the mains to the big house . The hole started filling up with water and here in the Cotswolds it’s gravely Cotswold stone . Shit the dogs will drown !!! ITrouble was the pipe was 50mm , now I carry 20mm, 25mm , 32mm for the rearing field water supply .... but I’d never even seen 50 mm . Only one way thing to do and that was to start to dig a trench to drain the water to lower ground . I left soppy bollocks who caused the problem and another lad to dig the trench while me and my mate went to find a 50mm fitting . Called a mate who works for the water board and who beats on my shoot , got a fitting off him and returned to the dig . By now a trench had been dug that would put the Panama Canal to shame , and a steady stream was now running into a ditch . Well we had the fitting and now came the time to cut the pipe and put the join on “Live” . Guess who got the job ? I couldn’t of been any wetter if I’d jumped in the lake !!!! In the meantime the mark moved and was resolved after another 1.2 hole . The dog and the “large dog fox “ we’re both soaking wet . The dog was none the worse from his subterranean soaking and we can now laugh about it , but we thought we were going to be digging a drowned terrier . 

???sounds like some of the wallys ive had work with me over the years.Youd be surprised at the amount of times ive seen lads go through services even though ive marked them out or they've found yellow tape and sand

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, downsouth said:

???sounds like some of the wallys ive had work with me over the years.Youd be surprised at the amount of times ive seen lads go through services even though ive marked them out or they've found yellow tape and sand

To be fair he’s a good lad and this was some time ago and he is now a good keeper on a quite prestigious shoot , it’s always “remember the Dentists  dig”???

Railways around us all been sured up with gabian baskets but new holes have appeared already. Some young lads will enter a terrier I know it and then the older generation will be asked to help get them out the shit ,again. 

Some places arnt worth the life of a dog .

• Like 3
8 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve been on a few real deep digs , digging into the night , but I’ve never been in a situation when I thought my number was up but I’ve been on a few that we nearly lost dogs . I will share a story that might interest you . There was an “earth” behind a house belonging to a couple Dentists who had moved into the village . They were up for retirement and loved their garden . Trouble was the occupants of this “earth” behind their house constantly did Poo in the garden and knocked over expensive pots . They stopped me as I went past one day and asked for my help . I said I would sort it out but they would have to be “out of the way for the day “ . A day was arranged and I turned up mob handed , it was a big old place !  Terrier in , not long and and it was on . Now one of the lads i invited bought one of his underkeepers with him who was a bit of a “knucklehead “ . About a meter down and there was this yellow tape and gravel  !!! I said careful that’s a water pipe !!! Yeah yeah , next thing pssss water ? gushing out like a fountain. I said you Wazzuck you’ve hit the mains to the big house . The hole started filling up with water and here in the Cotswolds it’s gravely Cotswold stone . Shit the dogs will drown !!! ITrouble was the pipe was 50mm , now I carry 20mm, 25mm , 32mm for the rearing field water supply .... but I’d never even seen 50 mm . Only one way thing to do and that was to start to dig a trench to drain the water to lower ground . I left soppy bollocks who caused the problem and another lad to dig the trench while me and my mate went to find a 50mm fitting . Called a mate who works for the water board and who beats on my shoot , got a fitting off him and returned to the dig . By now a trench had been dug that would put the Panama Canal to shame , and a steady stream was now running into a ditch . Well we had the fitting and now came the time to cut the pipe and put the join on “Live” . Guess who got the job ? I couldn’t of been any wetter if I’d jumped in the lake !!!! In the meantime the mark moved and was resolved after another 1.2 hole . The dog and the “large dog fox “ we’re both soaking wet . The dog was none the worse from his subterranean soaking and we can now laugh about it , but we thought we were going to be digging a drowned terrier . 

i dug my dog drowned end of last season....stuff was sitting right in front on a ledge

3 hours ago, downsouth said:

Seen it so many times, hit the dust an tape and tell the driver'gently'? to lazy to use their insulated shovel then bang catch the nipple and your running for cover?boss not happy when they tip up after hrs and got to pay the bill?seen a few lads jack rather than take shit of the paddys i work for?

• Like 1