15 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Nice big male, there must be a bigger female knocking around somewhere that he's been looking for.

Think he came in out the rain mate, it was hammering down and the boys had the window open! The females don't go far once they've made a nest apparently. :)

2 hours ago, peterhunter86 said:

Someone over here got a clip of one of them false widow spiders killing a lizard 

Aye, it happens. A lot of folk don't realise that we have lizards here :D The falsies can give you a nip, but it is very unusual. I've had brown recluse, proper widows etc, and lots of proper, big as your hand, tarantulas. Never been bitten, in over 25 years. I've a few snakes as well.. bitten loads by the non venomous ones :D 

Of course, I'll probably get nailed by something tonight ffs :D

• Like 1

I used to keep tarantula too, my first ever one (Chile rose) bit me and I never got bit by the quicker more aggressive species I kept. I nearly shit my kecks though when a cobalt blue tried to run up my arm.

• Haha 1

That is funny, because my mate does education visits to schools, and the only one that has bitten him was his Chile Rose.. apparently it hurt like hell, but to be fair to him, he just carried on and I went up and took it off him :D
All those old world species, especially the African ones, can bring a sweat on.. I think my missus still has a video of a Cobalt on my neck, and me going 'ah shit, ah shit'.. I only have about 10 now, with my B smithi pride of place. She is 10 now! Still a bitch though, kicking hairs.

• Like 1

I only ever had a juvenile smithi but it was a hair flicking tw@, the worst I had was a curly hair. 

I often think about getting some more spiders but the ladies of the house would not be happy.  My favourite was my Psalmopeus irminia.

They are lovely.. I remember having cambridgii and pulcher years ago, as well as the irmina.  Communal as well to an degree if I remember right. I kept P murinus (OBTs) as communal, and it looked fantastic.. I was sending slings all over the country ffs :D  All the pokies make for good display as well.

P metallica was the metallic blue pokie from India that people were going mad for a few years ago.. I remember them going for over £100 a sling ffs.. madness. Especially when you consider that there are other pokies that look as good, and then you have the fantastic avicularia.