Couple of hours

Decided to give the perm a couple of hours last night before it got dark, seen three or four but ranged them at over 60yds, so they were safe.... For now... Managed this little unlucky one at 40yds with the R10se  .25 with AA field pellets... Pic of my spot for the evening, 3 hours on your belly is not the comfiest position... But I was surprised that at 40yds with a sub 12ft/lb .25 the pellet went straight through.... 

DSC_0222.JPG

DSC_0223.JPG

• Like 6

Shooting Phill :good:

I imagine your range finding must have to be absolutely spot on with .25 cal at sub 12 ft/lbs ?

How testing that trajectory must be, so much so as a couple of yards/ metres out with your range estimation/ range finder at 40 yds would surely result in a clean miss ?

Compliments Phill  :hi:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mark williams said:

Shooting Phill :good:

I imagine your range finding must have to be absolutely spot on with .25 cal at sub 12 ft/lbs ?

How testing that trajectory must be, so much so as a couple of yards/ metres out with your range estimation/ range finder at 40 yds would surely result in a clean miss ?

Compliments Phill  :hi:

Yes mate, trajectory is scary even from 40yds to say 42-43 is a big drop and nearly an xtra mil-dot hold-over.. I've only shot it past fourty yds a couple of times at paper it's good but I would,nt attempt past 40yds with vermin with it,only took that shot last night at 40 due to no wind and I was lying prone... I always use a rangefinder aswell, I wouldn't chance guessing the yardage with the .25.

Edited by Phill-W68
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

The penetration of .25 superdomes astounded me at sub 12ft lbs. like you say Mark, trajectory is the rub, they certainly hit hard though.

I don't know why but I was shocked to see the pellet had gone straight through, it jumped in the air kicked it's back legs about 3 times then lay to rest ☺,, it was only afterwards when I picked it up that I noticed the pellet had cleanly gone through... 

8 hours ago, Phill-W68 said:

Decided to give the perm a couple of hours last night before it got dark, seen three or four but ranged them at over 60yds, so they were safe.... For now... Managed this little unlucky one at 40yds with the R10se  .25 with AA field pellets... Pic of my spot for the evening, 3 hours on your belly is not the comfiest position... But I was surprised that at 40yds with a sub 12ft/lb .25 the pellet went straight through.... 

Penetration is dependent on a lot of things, that rabbit looks like a youngster and the shot looks high on the back of the head, IF that is the case there is very little to go straight through and whatever bone it did/may have gone through is not properly hardened!

The .25 is not known for its penetration in 12ft lb at all, simply due to the pellet circumference and low power, like for like a .177 will penetrate more.  Where a .25 is likely to gain is energy retention due to its mass.

But as already mention on this thread the arc of a .25 in 12ft lb is horrendous!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, big napper said:

Shot phil, bet your shoulders / shoulder blades were killing lying on your belly for that amount of time

Haha, at some points my shoulders were shaking like I was cold, but a quick slow moving stretch sorted them out.... 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, chrismdd said:

Nice shooting patience paid off. Is that a trouser-leg covering your rifle?

You guys miss nothing on here haha, yes mate, I ripped the arse out of them so rendered useless, so put them to good use haha, breaks up the outline a bit... 

• Like 2