First Person Sentenced for 'Controlling Behaviour in an Intimate Relationship' in the UK

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BH I think you are making light of a huge problem. Controlling behaviour is not just being occasionally critical or cruel. It's a method of destroying another human being. Slowly drip by drip over tim

It reminds me of Educating Rita...she was married & worked as a hair dresser ..her old man wanted the stereotypical family & sat night in the pub having a sing song with the family...she wasnt

These 'man up and show her who's boss comments' are all well and good but the article paints this bloke as vulnerable due to his condition...I sure as hell ain't gonna look down on the bloke for not c

Posted Images

BH I think you are making light of a huge problem. Controlling behaviour is not just being occasionally critical or cruel. It's a method of destroying another human being. Slowly drip by drip over time. It's mostly perpetrated by men but as your example shows also by women. If some evil creep can be stopped before his behaviour escalates to violence then I welcome the new law. Check out the stats below.

https://www.refuge.org.uk/our-work/forms-of-violence-and-abuse/domestic-violence/domestic-violence-the-facts/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

BH I think you are making light of a huge problem. Controlling behaviour is not just being occasionally critical or cruel. It's a method of destroying another human being. Slowly drip by drip over time. It's mostly perpetrated by men but as your example shows also by women. If some evil creep can be stopped before his behaviour escalates to violence then I welcome the new law. Check out the stats below.

https://www.refuge.org.uk/our-work/forms-of-violence-and-abuse/domestic-violence/domestic-violence-the-facts/

I'm not making light of anything. I'm simply concerned about a shift to an authoritarian democracy. Every single incremental step towards such is 'justified' by stats and an emotionally persuasive argument.

I don't agree that it's good for society. It's dangerous.

Just now, Born Hunter said:

I'm not making light of anything. I'm simply concerned about a shift to an authoritarian democracy. Every single incremental step towards such is 'justified' by stats and an emotionally persuasive argument.

I don't agree that it's good for society. It's dangerous.

Have you ever experienced or witnessed domestic abuse in any of its forms?

9 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Have you ever experienced or witnessed domestic abuse in any of its forms?

Yes I have. Lets not make this personal, it'll turn shitty.

Edited by Born Hunter
to sound less of a c**t
1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

Yes I have. Don't make this personal, it'll turn shitty.

I am not being abusive or controlling:laugh:. I am simply asking a question. I think to draw on personal experience is relevant in a debate like this. Domestic violence is something you never ever forget. I'm nearly 70 and still get flashbacks and nightmares from my experiences as a kid. Plenty of others are in the same boat. Controlling behaviour is sometimes obvious but often insidious. I remember our whole family being on edge as soon as my dad walked in the door. In fact I think his criticism and evil moods were worse than the actual violence. Seriously, bruises can heal but never ending criticism stays with you for life. I'm glad there's a new law. It will probably be pretty ineffectual but nevertheless it's a marker and some people may benefit from it.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I am not being abusive or controlling:laugh:. I am simply asking a question. I think to draw on personal experience is relevant in a debate like this. Domestic violence is something you never ever forget. I'm nearly 70 and still get flashbacks and nightmares from my experiences as a kid. Plenty of others are in the same boat. Controlling behaviour is sometimes obvious but often insidious. I remember our whole family being on edge as soon as my dad walked in the door. In fact I think his criticism and evil moods were worse than the actual violence. Seriously, bruises can heal but never ending criticism stays with you for life. I'm glad there's a new law. It will probably be pretty ineffectual but nevertheless it's a marker and some people may benefit from it.

I came across as a bit of a wanker there but my point stands. As I said, just swamps the debate with emotion.

Likewise, you have flashbacks, I have premonitions of a dystopian regime!

FYI, if you like, do the political tests on Chris Jones's thread. Be interesting to see where you fall fella as you seem to represent a very different view to many on here. VERY different to mine, LOL. If you like, not an order. :D

Edited by Born Hunter
7 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I came across as a bit of a wanker there but my point stands. As I said, just swamps the debate with emotion.

Likewise, you have flashbacks, I have premonitions of a dystopian regime!

FYI, if you like, do the political tests on Chris Jones's thread. Be interesting to see where you fall fella as you seem to represent a very different view to many on here. VERY different to mine, LOL. If you like, not an order. :D

"Premonitions of a dystopian regime". It's no "premonition" it's here, 2018.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, John d said:

Controlling behaviour is best if it is stopped as early as possible as it inevitably leads to a hell of a lot more than what it needs to, like murder for example!  The thing to remember in this case is your being a bit of a bellend on a high horse because it's a woman doing it to a man......if you daughter/sister etc was in a controlling relationship she couldnt get out of and you found out years later I'm sure you would want as many charges as possible thrown at the offender when everything comes to light.....dont be such a judgemental prick when you no f**k all about the story

Totally wrong. Which way round it happened has no bearing.

As for the more personal situation you use as an example. Nope again. Any loved one of mine would be told to walk away and provided with all the support they need to do that.

Finally, name calling. The lowest form of debate. Congratulations.

6 minutes ago, John d said:

And stop using big words to make yourself look clever ffs.....what a boring c**t you are

Everyone on here has got differing opinions mate. No need for the playground bollocks

Edited by dave88
Took out some big words as not to look too clever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, dave88 said:

Everyone on here got differing opinion mate. No need for the playground bollocks

My opinion won't be popular, I know that. It's a shame though that when someone doesn't know how to engage in a decent level of debate they fall on the lowest form. Folks don't have to be a Uni Professor to challenge me, just respectful and willing. I don't think I've used much language that excludes the average person from doing that.

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

My opinion won't be popular, I know that. It's a shame though that when someone doesn't know how to engage in a decent level of debate they fall on the lowest form. Folks don't have to be a Uni Professor to challenge me, just respectful and willing. I don't think I've used much language that excludes the average person from doing that.

What does excludes mean again mate?

• Haha 1
Just now, John d said:

If you knew it was happening

Yes, if however I only found out after the fact then I'd support them in avoiding a recurrence and if any physical abuse had taken place while in the consensual relationship or stalking/persecution afterwards then in a criminal investigation. My immediate reaction to a controlling relationship though would not be that it is criminal. It is now of course.

Look, that ain't gonna persuade you I'm sure. You will believe I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm an abuser wanting to protect my evil or whatever. Anything other than that I actually see this differently. That's fine mate. But lets try to treat each other with a bit of honour and respect. :thumbs: