Look What I Found!

1 hour ago, Rob58 said:

Hope your going to get it mounted looks like it’s in nice condition.

It's a real nice one Rob58. I don't really have the funds to get it done, but think I know a lad that would be interested in it.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, saharashadow said:

Are reds common in your neck of the woods?

The only place I have ever seen reds around here, is a small stretch of road where this one met it's maker. The wooded area is on the grounds of a castle,  where there is also grey's present.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

The only place I have ever seen reds around here, is a small stretch of road where this one met it's maker. The wooded area is on the grounds of a castle,  where there is also grey's present.

Well I couldn't think of a better man Eddie than yourself to go in there and give those Red Squirrels a hand by getting rid of the Greys.

After all you must be getting bored of trapping mink, :whistling:I seen your results elsewhere recently. That's impressive .

28 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

Well I couldn't think of a better man Eddie than yourself to go in there and give those Red Squirrels a hand by getting rid of the Greys.

After all you must be getting bored of trapping mink, :whistling:I seen your results elsewhere recently. That's impressive .

Would you belive neil, I've never trapped a squirrel.:icon_redface: Saying that, I've never tried, or had any in the area's I've ever trapped.

This place is out of bounds for me, and I ain't wasting my breath trying to convince those in command to let me rid them of the greys. I may leave it to the marten's to sort out. There's plenty of them about too, but a bit slow in sorting out the grey's in this spot. Must be dinning on more convenient meals.:hmm:

8 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

It's a real nice one Rob58. I don't really have the funds to get it done, but think I know a lad that would be interested in it.

Stick it in the freezer and send it to Rob58 when you have funds. I have seen what he does, i have one of his works art here and one on the way. No doubt in my mind what I would do with it fella. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Would you belive neil, I've never trapped a squirrel.:icon_redface: Saying that, I've never tried, or had any in the area's I've ever trapped.

This place is out of bounds for me, and I ain't wasting my breath trying to convince those in command to let me rid them of the greys. I may leave it to the marten's to sort out. There's plenty of them about too, but a bit slow in sorting out the grey's in this spot. Must be dinning on more convenient meals.:hmm:

Make you wonder for sure. They tell you that the Red Squirrel goes out onto branches too thin for the Pine Marten to follow but can catch the bigger Grey Squirrel's.

The poor Red Squirrel's that I seen Martens taking in documentaries must have been suffering from obesity or something ,LOL.

The next time you see a Pine Marten road kill (a common sight on roads) pick it up and get it mounted with that red Squirrel in it's mouth just to annoy the wildlife "experts" who tell us Pine Martens are a useful addition to our countryside :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 06/02/2018 at 23:44, ryaldinhio said:

Stick it in the freezer and send it to Rob58 when you have funds. I have seen what he does, i have one of his works art here and one on the way. No doubt in my mind what I would do with it fella. 

Yea i bet Rob would do a great Job on it, but living in Ireland, I doubt it would make the trip.

• 3 months later...
On 07/02/2018 at 12:48, neil cooney said:

Make you wonder for sure. They tell you that the Red Squirrel goes out onto branches too thin for the Pine Marten to follow but can catch the bigger Grey Squirrel's.

The poor Red Squirrel's that I seen Martens taking in documentaries must have been suffering from obesity or something ,LOL.

The next time you see a Pine Marten road kill (a common sight on roads) pick it up and get it mounted with that red Squirrel in it's mouth just to annoy the wildlife "experts" who tell us Pine Martens are a useful addition to our countryside :laugh:

Neil, its nice to see someone else agree with my feelings on this subject, they are on about releasing martins here in the lake district to control greys for red conservation, i have had some rather heated arguments with the local red squirrel group, they seem to be blinded by these stupid ideas that the martins and reds will be able to live together, i ask what the martins are going to feed on when the last of the greys has been caught, answer is there will allways be enough greys to feed the martins, if that is true then why bother it is not worth the risk

• Like 1