Next years heating

18 minutes ago, socks said:

Willow is a waste of time don't even bother trying to burn it ... beech is ok when it's fully seasoned ......

Cheers mate...2 willow trees have to come down as well

10 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Cheers mate...2 willow trees have to come down as well

Cover them in diesel and burn them in the garden mate ... or use them for making archways or gazebo type structures as they bend easily ......

• Like 1

Getting your own wood heats you a few times , cutting it chopping it & burning it , I love spending a few days filling my log store & it saves you a few quid over a yr , can't remember when I last paid for wood . You can't beat having a stove though I'd recommend a multi-fuel . 

14 hours ago, NEWKID said:

What's your favourite wood to burn mate?

ive got some willow I need to remove, also loads of beech

Is that a cedar in the photos? 

Ill burn anything deciduous, oak is best though (all whats in the photos I posted). Willows meant to be good as its so fast renewable, but anything fast growing seems to lack density for a long burn similar to this alder ive got coming out of my ears. I might do a chesnut plantation, already got some but more specimen size rather than coppice. For an open fire id only want oak, chesnut can spit out. Pulled a few m3 off oak branches out of the lake today heavy slog as theirs a bit of silt.

Edited by Waz

When i was a keeper at Rannoch we cut down and burned a Aspen ?. nobody else would touch it as it was supposed to be the wood the cross was made from and it was thought to be unlucky well it burned fine and 40 years later im still here 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Waz said:

Is that a cedar in the photos? 

Ill burn anything deciduous, oak is best though (all whats in the photos I posted). Willows meant to be good as its so fast renewable, but anything fast growing seems to lack density for a long burn similar to this alder ive got coming out of my ears. I might do a chesnut plantation, already got some but more specimen size rather than coppice. For an open fire id only want oak, chesnut can spit out. Pulled a few m3 off oak branches out of the lake today heavy slog as theirs a bit of silt.

It's a macrocarpa mate.. a type of cypruss, it burns fine..

ive about 4.5 acres of mixed woodland, will need to start getting on top of it now!

got quite a bit of oak, beech, willow etc..

thanks for the advice mate 

• Like 1