Rifle For First Time User

What air rifle would you recommend from the list below? I'll be going hunting 2-3 days a week and plinking in garden pretty much every day, I've hunted before with traps but this would be the first time using a rifle

HW100 T/KT

Air Arms 510

Daystate Wolverine Type 2 C

Air Arms 410

BSA Gold Star SE

Webley Raider Quantum

FX Wildcat

Reliability and build quality is VERY important, I don't want to have to send the rifle back for repairs after a couple of months, customer service is also important in case I need to return the rifle.

Please don't suggest me to buy a cheap springer rifle, I am getting a PCP not a springer, this isn't going to be used as a "hobby" it's going to be used for wild camping in 300 acre forest (Yes I have permission) so it needs to be reliable and solid quality.

From your PCP list here, I would go for the HW100 in whatever format/calibre you desire. Of all the rifles listed this one ticks more boxes of your requirements than the others.

Straight out of the box reliability, phenominal accuracy, rugged durability and decent customer after-sales care are your most important factors.

Second choice would go for Air Arms.

FX guns are built like Swiss watches. Beautifully built but not as tough in the field as Weihrauch.

I too have a Daystate Regal that needed another 120 quid spent on an Airtech regulator, a barrel-crop and re-threaded for a screw-on silencer. It has made it an amazing rifle to hunt and mooch with but, along with poor experiences from other lads here of Daystate's after-sales care, it has tarnished Daystate's reputation badly.

BSA is owned by Spanish gunmakers Gamo and the build-quality is not the Great British airgun maker it once was.

Webley I'm no longer certain of. They were once superb British gunmakers but then, went through shit management and poor business handling and the company went under. Today, they have bounced back and might be great again?

What air rifle would you recommend from the list below? I'll be going hunting 2-3 days a week and plinking in garden pretty much every day, I've hunted before with traps but this would be the first time using a rifle

HW100 T/KT

Air Arms 510

Daystate Wolverine Type 2 C

Air Arms 410

BSA Gold Star SE

Webley Raider Quantum

FX Wildcat

Reliability and build quality is VERY important, I don't want to have to send the rifle back for repairs after a couple of months, customer service is also important in case I need to return the rifle.

Please don't suggest me to buy a cheap springer rifle, I am getting a PCP not a springer, this isn't going to be used as a "hobby" it's going to be used for wild camping in 300 acre forest (Yes I have permission) so it needs to be reliable and solid quality.

From your PCP list here, I would go for the HW100 in whatever format/calibre you desire. Of all the rifles listed this one ticks more boxes of your requirements than the others.

Straight out of the box reliability, phenominal accuracy, rugged durability and decent customer after-sales care are your most important factors.

Second choice would go for Air Arms.

FX guns are built like Swiss watches. Beautifully built but not as tough in the field as Weihrauch.

I too have a Daystate Regal that needed another 120 quid spent on an Airtech regulator, a barrel-crop and re-threaded for a screw-on silencer. It has made it an amazing rifle to hunt and mooch with but, along with poor experiences from other lads here of Daystate's after-sales care, it has tarnished Daystate's reputation badly.

BSA is owned by Spanish gunmakers Gamo and the build-quality is not the Great British airgun maker it once was.

Webley I'm no longer certain of. They were once superb British gunmakers but then, went through shit management and poor business handling and the company went under. Today, they have bounced back and might be great again?

Well my choice isn't directly from this list, this is just a list of rifles I've looked up and read about that have great reviews, but if you have another suggestion I'm all ears.

If you are a reasonably fit person then a pump is, no problem ,I think the average air gun enthusiast jugging by my club does not fit into that catagory. so bottles are always recommended.

Secret is not to pump from full to empty all the time just pump it every 40 shots or so.

I know you want a pcp but you really would be missing out by not learning to shoot with a decent weihrach springer second hand is not a problem .

Pcps are so boring for plinking be very suprised if you manage Even one tin a month Letty alone 200 a day .

I have both but don't ever bother practicing with the PCP's ,no point ,get good with a springer and you will actually learn to shoot . your granny could shoot a PCP on about 5 shots.

• Like 1

If you are a reasonably fit person then a pump is, no problem ,I think the average air gun enthusiast jugging by my club does not fit into that catagory. so bottles are always recommended.

Secret is not to pump from full to empty all the time just pump it every 40 shots or so.

I know you want a pcp but you really would be missing out by not learning to shoot with a decent weihrach springer second hand is not a problem .

Pcps are so boring for plinking be very suprised if you manage Even one tin a month Letty alone 200 a day .

I have both but don't ever bother practicing with the PCP's ,no point ,get good with a springer and you will actually learn to shoot . your granny could shoot a PCP on about 5 shots.

Just about sums it up !

Learn to shoot a Springer and you can shoot anything.

You can't go far wrong with a 99 !

• Like 2

I would recommend a second hand hw100 and a second hand HW 99,95,80,97/77.most of them can be had for £150-£160 if you don't worry about external condition.

Try to stick to a x40 scope they are worth more second hand and give more fitting options than x50 .

Hawk panarama are the best in my opinion if you can find one .

You need half mill dot reticle.

And you will be much better off with .177 15-40 yards more or less straight shooting .

.22 takes much more skill you would be up and down your mill dots holdover,hold under etc .

I would recommend a second hand hw100 and a second hand HW 99,95,80,97/77.most of them can be had for £150-£160 if you don't worry about external condition.

Try to stick to a x40 scope they are worth more second hand and give more fitting options than x50 .

And you will be much better off with .177 15-40 yards more or less straight shooting .

.22 takes much more skill you would be up and down your mill dots holdover,hold under etc .

"Much more skill" like that mukka :)

• Like 1

"Much more skill" like that mukka :)

Just couldn't get this out me 'ead :-)

post-65730-0-19157500-1506717997_thumb.png

• Like 2